What do you use to secure your trail cams?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ninepointer

What do you use to secure your trail cams?

Post by ninepointer »

I use 1/8" or 3/16" nylon coated steel cable and use cable crimps to loop the ends for a padlock. I'm not particularly fond of the light coloured appearance of the clear nylon coating on the cable, but that's what's available in the hardware department. I'd prefer something in black.

What, if anything, do you folks use to lock your cams to their trees?
Slick Trick 100 gr. Standard broadheads
Groundpounder Quiver Mount
TheBig1

Re: What do you use to secure your trail cams?

Post by TheBig1 »

I am very interested also in hearing everyone's ideas on this matter.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
FISH-ON

Post by FISH-ON »

Chain & lock
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

I am also interested in hearing what everyone else is doing. I have lost two cameras to thieves in the last few years. That is why the price of trail cameras really ticks me off.......I am always hunting on someone else's property so have no real control over trespassers. Can't see spending huge money on any camera and then having to fork over more money for a box to secure it.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

Masterlock makes a cable and lock assembly it's called Python. I bought mine when I got my trail cams. camlockbox .com they where the cheapest .
W.M.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Back when I had a 35mm game cam a guy on a forum that I belonged to then was making and selling, for a very small price, boxes for them. What it was, was a small electrical box. He would cut the front out for the camera to poke through and welded a lock hole on the front and then welded big loops on the back on the sides for you to secure with chain or cable to a tree.

I still have it, I'll try to post a picture later if I remember and don't get busy. Perhaps some of our more technical persons on here can then duplicate some for themselves and for some of us less technical souls.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

Ditto on the Python locks. They come in several sizes (3/16", 5/16" and 3/8" are a few) with 6' pf cable with covering over the cable. I got mine through the company here in Philadelphia, PA (Allpadlocks think it is). The 3/16" ones they don't key alike but the others you can get 4 keyed alike and I've heard of guys asking them and they keyed more alike. I use the 3/16" as any of them are only good for honest people. Thieves will get them off regardless. With the Python I use a pipethrough the case (only use homebrews so when make drill case for it and goop it in).
HorizontalArchr

Post by HorizontalArchr »

I just use the nylon strap included but have been known to climb trees to make it less likely for a possible theif to steal or even see. FYI I've had 2 stolen the last two seasons. Both were on trees that I didn't spend the time to climb
Matrix 380
Triggertech Matrix Hunter
Matrix Munch Mount
2012 Vortex
18" Zombie Slayers
100 grain Magnum Slick Tricks
Twilight scope
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

python cables and boxes from camlockbox.com. have not had any problems of my cameras staying where I put them
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I found if you call camlockbox they will deal with you . got mine for 16.00 each and keyed alike. also a great deal on my trail cams.
W.M.
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

I have found locks keep honest people honest . A thief will steal it regardless . I have found the boxes make it easier for the thieves to see it . The last trail camera I saw that was stolen had the vermin hook a ATV to then rip it apart . :shock:
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

Doe Master wrote:I have found locks keep honest people honest . A thief will steal it regardless.
Unfortunately, that is true. I have 3 and only one is really locked and that is with a Python cable lock. Locking it to a tree is no insurance from returning to find it in hundreds of pieces on the ground around the tree. Even if the lock is gun proof, the camera isn't. Its also not rock or limb proof if someone wants to give it their best Barry Bonds impression and swing for the fences.

My best recommendation is to think carefully about where you place your cameras. I have one camera that is not locked that I highly doubt anyone would ever find. Its is on the back side of a large tree hugging the side of the tree opposite from where any human would reasonably travel. It still gets pictures of the ridge I want to see and wandering eyes will never gaze upon it. I realize though that not all prime locations for a camera offer options for such discreet placement.

I also learned this year that one man's discreet spring time placement is another mans late summer briar thicket. I looked like was in a cat fight and lost. :lol:

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
rayman

Post by rayman »

I used to have a Stealthcam and it had a metal plate you slid through a space and could chain it to a tree. It never really worked great and then one day the pictures wouldn't load onto computer any more. I got another one of different make, which I can't remember now and it is out in the woods, and it has a space for a cable to slide through. I got a piece of non-coated cable, made small loops on the ends with cable clamps, and welded the nuts on the clamps. I can lock it to a tree, but yea, somebody could bust it if they wanted and hope that it stayed together enough to be usable.
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

There is a thread where a member used bark and made a cyl. for his trail cam, and it hid it GREAT!!! maybe somebody can find it.
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

Here's just a couple ideas from diy and OutdoorTalk (homemade trail cams we do).

http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/anyone ... 1288988899

This will probably explain it better:
http://www.outdoor-talk.com/forum/index ... 265.0.html

Oh from allpadlocks.com ( http://www.diytrailcams.com/post/python ... 1289906894 ) is where I got my 3/16" Pythons again and think they were somewere around $9.00 apiece(?) but they have had a rate increase since then