Tips for cocking equinox

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big trout

Tips for cocking equinox

Post by Big trout »

I just bought a new equinox and I'm struggling to cock it. I'm only 5'6" tall and I know that works against me. Anyone have any tips to help me? I don't want the hand crank. Thanks!
Carnivorous

Re: Tips for cocking equinox

Post by Carnivorous »

I am not that much taller than you and had one for a short spell. Shorten the rope a few inches and you will have to pull up on the string to load both hooks. This will help some.

I ended up cutting the rail down to reduce the overall length on my Equinox.

The Matrix series of bows would have been a better fit for your size.

I use the Micro now and there is no looking back to the old bows for this guy....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
munch

Post by munch »

Shorten the rope on the cocking aid so that you need to pull the string back a couple inches to hook the second hook . Much better
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

if you look to the left of the forum you will see a support section and find Instructional videos . maybe this will help you .
W.M.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

All gave great advice, shorten the cocker as much as you can. I pull my string up about 6" to get the second hook on.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
artifact

Post by artifact »

Had to do the same thing being suggested to cock a 380. I needed to make a new knot that was only about 1" below the original one to be able to cock it. Kind of trial and error till you get it where you are able to cock the bow.
Big trout

Post by Big trout »

Thanks everyone! I will shorten my rope and check out the video.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

Get the crank I love mine very easy to use and it makes cocking easy I mostly the the rope cocker for uncocking.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bdog

Post by bdog »

Once you have your cocker on and all looks good when you start to pull, before you get to the end of the stroke, stand up straight and look up, it helps take the stress off your neck, back and shoulders....
http://autumnbreezebrittanys.com
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

One thing that will help a lot is removing the factory stirrup and replacing it with the Dr Stirrup kit. I do recommend the whole kit. I believe it's safer because your feet are never in front of the rail. Your draw will be shortened significantly and the sound and vibration are dramatically reduced......do follow the above recommendations regarding the shortening of the cocking aid nonetheless.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

You can also use your legs . Sit on a chair and put one foot in the stirrup with your knee bent.The stock goes under your arm .Then hold onto your cocking rope and straighten your leg. you will be pushing the crossbow out you may want to put the other leg under the one in the stirrup . I have to cock it that way as I have MS and limited strength in my arms. I shoot the Exomax . I have taught small framed people how to do this . You are using leverage not just strength .
colouredchameleon

Post by colouredchameleon »

I shortened my cocking rope to ( 28-1/2" ) of rope showing handle to handle.
Now I am 5' 7" so you may need a little less. But I suspect not much if any shorter at all.

"COCK with INTENT"
"Hesitation or Faltering" can be your undoing!

NOTE!

MAKE SURE YOUR FOOT IS SECURELY IN THE STIRRUP Before your start your pull. :shock:

CC
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Why is it that most people cock a crossbow like the equinox or the exomax they think to do this all I need is power ? Not true try using leverage as I posted here before . I had a young lady stop by a booth that I was working for disabled /handicapped bow hunters she had major problems with her arms she had a crossbow but had not even shot it because she could not cock it . I sat her down with my exomax and the cocking rope had her cocking the xbow in no time using leverage that weekend I showed many people e with other problems they could do it . Granted in the field you will not have a chair but you can sit on anything and do it.
Boo

Post by Boo »

Some people just like stepping on rakes
Big trout

Post by Big trout »

Thanks again for all the info provided. I'm glad I joined this site. Now I gotta see what works best for me. That dr stirrup thing looks like it would work good. Probably just keep it simple though.