Hunting with ghillie suit

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcwn

Hunting with ghillie suit

Post by Bcwn »

So last season I was able to harvest all my does using a ghillie suit, granted I was using my muzzle loader, so with that being said this will certainly be an experience. I had plenty of deer walk within 15-20 feet of me. My technique is to brush in a spot a week prior, then tie in my suit the day before. Once I get my suit looking like the surroundings I just put a turkey seat on the ground and wait. I'm gonna have to throw some burlap on my gorilla sticks, but other than that I think I will be good. Oh and the ozonics is a must, I truly believe they aid in scent control

Anyone else ever try this technique? I'm pumped, can't wait to harvest a doe with the new 380.

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
jd4223

Re: Hunting with ghillie suit

Post by jd4223 »

I shot a doe last season at about 15yards while wearing a ghillie suit.I'm pretty sure I could have shot her while wearing just my underwear. All her senses were focused on a pumpkin sprayed with vanilla extract that I placed out in the open 20yards from me.I admit though that wearing the ghillie suit made me just about invisible while sitting on a folding camp stool backed into the weeds.I wear a leafy 3D ghillie suit. I timed the does' arrival and was waiting for her to make her usual 6:20pm crossing. Normally she travels with her 2 yearlings but for some reason she was alone,or the 2 yearlings stayed back out of sight.She didn't disappoint me on her arrival time.I was only sitting for about 15-20 minutes waiting. Got lucky when I shot her and she never went more than 10 yards. As long as the weather is warm enough during bow season,I'll continue to wear my ghillie suit.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I dont have an all out suit. I have the cabellas top n pants with the strings n leaves its awsome. I was walking to my stand this year with my montana decoy and a horny six pointer only seemed to only see the decoy i was carrying not me .i had massive op. To kill him if i wanted too. Them suits are awsome im not into the ozonics thing .i keep mine in a bag fulla leaves n saturate my surrounds with doe p never really needed anything else.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

I have a full Rancho Safari Ghillie suit. I have shot a number of xbow deer just sitting upside a tree on the field edge. I have a nice 10 pointer that walked right past me and I arrowed him at 3 yrds tops, he never even glanced my way. It is great tool when your in a new area or are even walking and stalking.
Crazy Horse

Post by Crazy Horse »

I have a Leafy-wear suit from Cabelas. Good to go.

Some of those ghillie suits out there get pretty wooly. I'd be afraid somebody would mistake me for bigfoot!!! :shock:
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Crazy Horse wrote:I have a Leafy-wear suit from Cabelas. Good to go.

Some of those ghillie suits out there get pretty wooly. I'd be afraid somebody would mistake me for bigfoot!!! :shock:
Don't worry, you're wife still accepted you for who you are! :lol:
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

Hunt it wrote:I have a full Rancho Safari Ghillie suit.
Which one?
Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Same for me, no ghillie suit, but 3D leafy camo head to toe. I took the pole saw out in September and cut green limbs and made a few brush piles to sit in around my hunting area so I would have some options if the wind didn't play nice. By the time season opened the leaves were browned up nice and the piles had settled a little bit. It has done well for me this year. Shot both of mine at under 20 yards. Always something to work on though. I'm not much for scent control because I don't have the dedication to keep up with it during the season, so working the wind and camo techniques is all I got.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
ko4nrbs

Post by ko4nrbs »

I used this one and the buck spooked when he saw me me. I think it was because I wasn't blending in well enough with the background behind me.
http://www.amazon.com/Ameristep-Leafy-P ... lie+poncho

Bill
Excalibur Exomax Crossbow Twlight DLX scope
Excalibur Firebolt Arrows
NuFletch Ignitor Nocks
Carbon Express Torrid SS 100 gr. Broadheads
Summit Viper SD Climbing Tree Stand with Sherpa Hunting cart kit
U.S. Navy 1969-1973 USS Truxtun DLGN-35
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

i shot my deer this year with a gille suite ton fun this way
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

ko4nrbs wrote:
Hunt it wrote:I have a full Rancho Safari Ghillie suit.
Which one?
Bill
Bill,
I believe it is the Rancho Light model, 6-7 years old and no model on the tags I just checked it. Great product.
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Crazy Horse wrote:I have a Leafy-wear suit from Cabelas. Good to go.

Yup. :lol:
[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hanke ... d.jpg.html]Image
[URL=http://s1129.photobucket.com/user/hanke ... 1.jpg.html]Image
Sure freaked my dog out.
Hank
StormDragon

Post by StormDragon »

If it ever gets cold enough I'm gonna finally take mine out into the woods, maybe for winter bow in Jan but who knows considering how the weathers been lately.

Here's the link with pics of mine: http://www.excaliburcrossbow.org/phpBB2 ... =1&t=57925
Micro 335 Nightmare: Morning Star

Elite Synergy; Krampus
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

I have one of the "yarn" style suits, It is amazing to conceal shapes. But in the woods, it is like Velcro, it grabs EVERYTHING. Now, I bring it with me in a bag, then suit up when I find my spot. I enjoy the suit, but it is a pain in the butt! Going to hunt in it in a few minutes, kids will clean out the debris I gather after I get home.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Species8472

Post by Species8472 »

Never violate a woman, nor harm a child. Do not lie, cheat or steal. These things are for lesser men. Protect the weak against the evil strong. And never allow thoughts of gain to lead you into the pursuit of evil.

-The Iron Code of Druss the Legend