Zombie slayers

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Bcwn

Zombie slayers

Post by Bcwn »

So after being on the forum, and listening to some folks I've come to the conclusion I've been shooting my arrows 2 inches too long currently shooting 20" zombie slayers . So here goes what I believe I should be shooting.

18" zombie slayers
110 grain brass insert?
100 grain broad head?
That would be an arrow weight of 393 grains. Is that too light?
What do you guys think? I'm shooting a matrix 380

Thanks again to the great folks on this forum for taking time to help out, I really appreciate it.
Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
bob watkins

Re: Zombie slayers

Post by bob watkins »

thats what i shoot plus a 28 gr lumen nock ( the way to go)
Boo

Post by Boo »

Sounds good to me.
There really is no wrong weight (other than less than minimum). You should look at it this way. The heavier the weight, the more stable the arrow flight, the better penitration, the quieter the shot, the easier it is on the bow. The lighter the weight, the flatter the trajectory, the less time the animal can react at longer ranges, the less mistakes you make because of range estimation. Those qualities are just what comes to mind immediately. Give the above, somewhere in between is idea. But just where? Where is subjective or based on how it feels to you. Do not think for a moment, that there is one right weight.
Personally, I like about 380 grains or more. But if I had 375 gr arrows, I'd shoot them without a lock of concern. Five or ten grains will not make any difference at the end of the day.
At your weight, you're good to go. Shoot and don't worry about a thing.
Last edited by Boo on Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Boo wrote:Sounds good to me.
There really is no wrong weight (other than less than minimum). You should look at it this way. The heavier the weight, the more stable the arrow flight, the better penitration, the quieter the shot, the easier it is on the bow. The lighter the weight, the flatter the trajectory, the less time the animal can react at longer ranges, the less mistakes you make because of range estimation. Those qualities are just what comes to mind immediately. Give the above, somewhere in between is idea. But jus where? Where is sujective or based on how it feels to you. Do not think for a moment, that there is one right weight.
Personally, I like about 380 grains or more. But if I had 375 gr arrows, I'd shoot them without a lock of concern. Five or ten grains will not make any difference at the end of the day.
At your weight, you're good to go. Shoot and don't worry about a thing.
Agree.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
Bcwn

Post by Bcwn »

As always great folks, and great info on this site. Gonna go with the above set up and call it good. I really appreciate it. Thank you

Brad
Mad max 380
Stock string
Dr stirrup kit
Zombie slayers
Rage Hypodermic 100 gr
Leupold Crossbones
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I use 17" with my 330 & 355. I like the ability to hang my bow while in the stand without hitting my broadhead when i grab it to shoot. I also make sure my foot cannot get in under that arrow while decocking the bow. To arrive at YOUR perfect length, cock the bow, put the safety on, and put an arrow with the broadheads you like in the rail up to the string, and see where you line up. If you have about 1" under the hook, your good. This is what I do before cutting mine. :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
Archer Ontario

Post by Archer Ontario »

I shoot a 380
With zombie slayers with 110 gr inserts
With 125 gr xbow rage
They fly like darts
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Roughly how fast is 393 grains from a 380?
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

mchurch wrote:Roughly how fast is 393 grains from a 380?
You should be getting between 360fps to 365fps depending on your setup .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
mchurch

Post by mchurch »

Ok thanks. I shoot 400 to 415 grains from my matrix 380 but don't have access to a chronograph
Excalibur Revx
Hawke Xb 30 pro
16.5 inch wyverncreations.com zombie slayers
SWAT juggernaut broadhead
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

with so much talk of Zombie Slayers on this forum, I went to the website to check them out. Price quote appears to be for a fletched shaft. Nocks and front inserts extra and a choice as to what material. Is glue required, are they press fit, is brass better than aluminum, are plastic nocks good? Pls help clear the fog based on your experiences
Brian
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
Boo

Post by Boo »

farm3rbrian wrote:with so much talk of Zombie Slayers on this forum, I went to the website to check them out. Price quote appears to be for a fletched shaft. Nocks and front inserts extra and a choice as to what material. Is glue required, are they press fit, is brass better than aluminum, are plastic nocks good? Pls help clear the fog based on your experiences
Brian
There are 2 prices. One for a completely finished arrow.
http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/product ... etched.htm
Scroll down and you'll see that each length has a different weight insert installed.
One for the shaft only. The later you have to get the rest of the components (front insert, rear nock, fletchings and glue).
http://www.blackeaglearrows.com/product ... -shaft.htm
The prices you see are list and dealers can sell for less.

FLETCHED ARROWS INCLUDE:

Flo-Yellow Half Moon Nocks & Flat Nocks Included (Installed and Removable)
Zombie Slayer Brass Inserts - (18" Arrow - 80 Grain) (20” Arrow -110 Grain) (22” Arrow - 92 Grain)
Bohning 2” Blazer Vanes | Flo-Yellow, Flo-Orange - 18 Grains
Zombie Emergency Survival Arrow Box
Required: Points
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Thanks Boo. Saw all that on the website but just couldn't put it all together. Still unclear as to whether nocks and front end inserts are press fit or glued and whether a special tool is required.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

mchurch wrote:Roughly how fast is 393 grains from a 380?
As 8ptbuk says...roughly 360-365. How he got there...............

393gr - 350gr (arrow wt for rated speed) = 43 gr

Rule of Thumb for Matrix bows seems to be that you lose 1 fps for every 3gr of increased wt. (Use 1fps /5gr for the longer limbed bows)

43/3 = 14.33fps

380fps (speed at rated wt) - 14.33fps = 365.66fps.

This is should put you in the ballpark. Actual depends on string, limb deflection rating and other stuff.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

farm3rbrian wrote:Thanks Boo. Saw all that on the website but just couldn't put it all together. Still unclear as to whether nocks and front end inserts are press fit or glued and whether a special tool is required.
Front inserts need to be glued in and the rear nocks are a press-in. You can glue the rear nock if you want.