Light rain and a double tap coyote down

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

fratri

Light rain and a double tap coyote down

Post by fratri »

I setup at first light, with a light rain and the wind coming out of the North this morning I needed to change up my original setup location to keep the wind in my favour. I setup with the bush about 100 yds across from me. This bush is only about 100 yds wide but goes south to my left for about 500 yds and then continues on the other side of the road. It also goes to the North for about 1km before hitting the next concession. So not a very wide bush but it is long and surrounded by farmland..... Anyway…..

I started out by turning on my decoy and putting my ecaller on really low (a dying rabbit sound), I got comfortable, waited a few minutes then started screaming out with my hand calls. I let out a couple of coyote howls, waited a couple minutes and then started screaming out with a dying rabbit mouth call. I waited a few minutes and took out another call and screamed out again for about a minute, waited and watched. I screamed out again and waited. I probably was on stand for about 12 minutes or so, looked over my left shoulder and seen this coyote coming. I first saw him about 400 yds out. My best guess is he came from across the street.

He was walking along the field edge hugging the tree line. I slowly turned to reposition myself and my shooting sticks, as they were pointed in the other direction. I lost sight of him for a minute (thought he popped into the bush but no, he just blended in really well with the field/bush edge). He slowly started cutting across the field toward the decoy. When he reached about 75 yds or so from me, he stopped and I took the shot. I heard the hit; he spun once and took off into the bush. I replayed the shot in my mind and realized I had the crosshairs a little too far back when I pulled the trigger. (Rushed the shot I guess-just too excited)

I waited about 5 minutes before going to look for him. With the light rain and everything wet, when I crossed the fence I did not see any blood. I was taking my time looking for blood when I notice him lying down about 20 yds from me, head up (not dead yet) so I put the scope on him right away and finished him off. Original shot was a little high and a little far back….ripped him pretty good but not enough to anchor him DRT……

He turned out to be a nice, big healthy looking male coyote….
Enjoy the pics…

The view/setup

How it played out

The Pose/Nice and big healthy male

Skinned out

"Everthing is easy when you know how"
"Food is not grown in stores"
Fratri
wapster

Re: Light rain and a double tap coyote down

Post by wapster »

Nice story....whats top price for pelts in your part of the world?
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

Congrats!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

Congrats!!
The best things in life are not things!!
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Very good on anudder Yote kill, congrats
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I enjoy your posts, very informative in regards to how the hunt all went down. Congrats on the kill!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Sounds like a fun coyote hunt fratri...another one bites the dust. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Great story as usual. You must have an extreme overabundance of coyotes up there. I'm sure that we do down here also. After reading several of your stories and hearing about your continued successes, I can't believe that there are any coyotes even left within a 5 mile radius of you. :lol:

Good hunting,
Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
mattones

Post by mattones »

Way to go Frank!!!
08 Diamond Justice
2015 Micro 335 -Custom Flemish String-Lumonzombies
fratri

Post by fratri »

wapster wrote:Nice story....whats top price for pelts in your part of the world?
Sorry for the late response, I must have missed it....
Pelts up here range from very poor money to good money.
With that being said, I don`t know anyone personally that has gotten good money for them................. but I personally got a $1.08 for one and $8 and change for another.... So I must not be doing something right or our fur prices just suck. I sent them up to NAFA....
I have read about others getting anywhere from $40-$70 a coyote but like I said I don`t know anyone personally that has gotten that kind of money.
Fratri
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Congrats. What caliber/bullet are you shooting? We have had very few run on us when hit with v-max bullets from 17fireball thru 25-06, even marginal shots. Of course, no two shots or animals are the same. Nonetheless, congrats of ridding the world of another yote. :mrgreen:
fratri

Post by fratri »

deadeer wrote:Congrats. What caliber/bullet are you shooting? We have had very few run on us when hit with v-max bullets from 17fireball thru 25-06, even marginal shots. Of course, no two shots or animals are the same. Nonetheless, congrats of ridding the world of another yote. :mrgreen:
Using a .223...bullet is a 55 gr sp... usually does the job well.
Fratri
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Frank, now that I'm actually interested in coyote hunting, I have revisited your posts to see what sort of information that I can pick up from them.

Now again, remember, that I know absolutely nothing about the art of coyote hunting so please forgive my trivial questions.

Judging by your pictures, I see that you placed your e-caller and decoy 30 yards away from you, is this correct?

If so, since the field is 100 yards wide to the wood line why didn't you go further, or doesn't it really matter?

I'm just trying to establish a base of operations here with my beginner knowledge.

I still love reading your stories over and over again. Thanks again Frank.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
fratri

Post by fratri »

TheBig1 wrote:Frank, now that I'm actually interested in coyote hunting, I have revisited your posts to see what sort of information that I can pick up from them.

Now again, remember, that I know absolutely nothing about the art of coyote hunting so please forgive my trivial questions.

Judging by your pictures, I see that you placed your e-caller and decoy 30 yards away from you, is this correct?
Yes about 30-40 yds out and off to one side.....
If so, since the field is 100 yards wide to the wood line why didn't you go further, or doesn't it really matter?
No real reason for not going further, just seems to be enough for me... You just want them to focus on something else when you are getting ready (shifting) for the shot....

I'm just trying to establish a base of operations here with my beginner knowledge.

I still love reading your stories over and over again. Thanks and feel free to ask or PM anything

Thanks again Frank.

Chad
Fratri