Broadhead help for a newbie

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmajik

Broadhead help for a newbie

Post by bowmajik »

I have just purchased my 1st crossbow, a micro nightmare 335. I now want to buy broadheads but don't see very many 150 grain broadheads out there. Can I safely use a lesser grain broadhead such as a toxic or mechanical in the 100-125 grain range? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
Doe Master
Site Admin

Re: Broadhead help for a newbie

Post by Doe Master »

I use 100 grain X-Acts on my Micro . Harvested a buck at 33 yards with it .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

I'm unreasonably green in regards to archery. I was told by my local retailer that if I don't use 150's my bolts will be all over the target and I won't be able to shoot accurately. Will I need any kind of insert etc to shoot 100-125 grain bh's from my stock quill arrows? Again thanks in advance for any and all help given
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
janesy

Post by janesy »

That's a real shame they said that.

When I shoot a factory Diablo with a 85g insert added and interloc slice(100gr), bolt totalling 400+/-gr. Or the Bolt Cutter on a factory Diablo. Sighted to Bullseye... switching to a factory Diablo with an interloc slice or an Xact mechanical(100gr) will raise my POI 2" at 20yards.
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

So basically what you're saying janesy is that as long as my bolt's total mass is in the reccomended 350-400 grain area I should be fine to play around with different broadheads and i most likely wont get 24 inch groupings?
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
janesy

Post by janesy »

That has been my experience Yes.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
janesy

Post by janesy »

If you want to try it out safely, toss a 100 gr field point on their first.
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
Tom

Post by Tom »

bowmajik wrote:So basically what you're saying janesy is that as long as my bolt's total mass is in the reccomended 350-400 grain area I should be fine to play around with different broadheads and i most likely wont get 24 inch groupings?
There are 2 important things to remember. There are "Total Arrow weight" & "FOC (front of Center) weight.

Total weight is for the safety of your equipment. The FOC is to make sure you have enough front weight (weight near the tip) to keep the arrow stable in flight. You will find arrows which have too much rear weight, will fly in an erratic pattern. This is mostly caused by the heavier weight trying to pass the lighter weight in flight.

IF you go to, too light of an head, you will change the FOC too much and could cause problems. Some help this by adding (change) Brass inserts into the front of the arrow for extra weight . I believe that many on here have easily used 125gr heads with factory arrows with good results.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Again, Tom to the rescue. Your input is much appreciated.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....BowMajik....first of all welcome to the forum and your questions are absolutely normal...there seems to be a lot of confusion over use what weight BH's to use especially since you are provided with with 150g BH's...

....you have been advised correctly by the previous responders...be careful of your total arrow weight and also your FOC (but that is only secondary)....I think what you will find is if you ask 20 of us what we shoot you will get 30 answers...

....I think many of us shoot an arrow out of the Micro at a weight of anywhere north of the 370g mark (I am around 390) and all the way upwards from there...there are those that hate mechanicals and sware by fixed blades and visa versa...there are those who make their own arrows and those that don't...there are those who like to fiddle with a recipe and those that shoot 100%...just have fun with what you decide and in no time you will be an expert!

....one piece of housekeeping...why not complete your registration indicating where you are from...it helps us to help you and point you in the right direction about where you can get quicker service...etc...

Welcome aboard and stick around!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

amythntr wrote:....BowMajik....first of all welcome to the forum and your questions are absolutely normal...there seems to be a lot of confusion over use what weight BH's to use especially since you are provided with with 150g BH's...

....you have been advised correctly by the previous responders...be careful of your total arrow weight and also your FOC (but that is only secondary)....I think what you will find is if you ask 20 of us what we shoot you will get 30 answers...

....I think many of us shoot an arrow out of the Micro at a weight of anywhere north of the 370g mark (I am around 390) and all the way upwards from there...there are those that hate mechanicals and sware by fixed blades and visa versa...there are those who make their own arrows and those that don't...there are those who like to fiddle with a recipe and those that shoot 100%...just have fun with what you decide and in no time you will be an expert!

....one piece of housekeeping...why not complete your registration indicating where you are from...it helps us to help you and point you in the right direction about where you can get quicker service...etc...

Welcome aboard and stick around!

Anthony :)
Welcome to the forum. When I first bought my micro I harvested 2 deer in one month with it being all stock. Bought the boltcutter broadheads is all. Complete passthroughs on each at different yardage. Furthest was 45 yards. Each only went 30/50 yards. There was nothing wrong with this setup. Except would recommend a custom string. I can't help myself to tinker and buy things to improve. Or at least try to improve. So now my micro has all kinds of goodies now. Nothing stock, except the bow itself. Has it made a HUGE difference? Not really. Well kind of. Didn't see anymore deer with it after all the "upgrades". Lol. I'm 100% positive I could still harvest deer with Excalibur bows just stock. But it's fun tweaking and buying for a bit of improvement. Have fun.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Thanks for the positive imput everyone.
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey