Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bloodtrail

Re: Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Post by bloodtrail »

I hunt with my crossbow because I want to.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH
kd8jgu

Post by kd8jgu »

I hunt with both.
A lot depends where I will be hunting.
Spot and stalk thru thicket I will grab bow
2 of the ladder stands I have bow works best
I have a few blinds and stands crossbow work best
May my aim be true and my arrow fly straight

Micro 335 (Porky's Piglet)
Stock string
Quill
125 grain ACTs/Boltcutters

MagAir
Stock string
Quill
125 ACTs/Boltcutters
Goober

Post by Goober »

Mr. RoC wrote:
Goober wrote::| Why do you choose a cross bow? I do because I'm a 130lbs noodle battling fibromyalgia and cannot stand there with a drawern bow.
Why do you even care what others think?

Has someone made a negative comment regarding you using a crossbow?

No no one has said anything YET. I just wonder if I would enjoy te compound better. I know I can handle the cross bow though.

Use and enjoy what makes you happy... Stand up to those that criticize you and your crossbow.

Cheers
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
Goober

Post by Goober »

Mr. RoC wrote:
SniperWolf wrote:Mr.ROC I have had compound enthusiasts jump all over me over the use of crossbow. I don't hide the fact that I'm in favor of crossbows for both target and hunting and I do hunt with my crossbow. The main comment I hear all the time......"its not a bow" or....."that's not bow hunting".
Lol exsactly! !!

Over at the AT forum it's the same old thing... this vs that and it gets very tiring to read the "Bow Snobs" criticize crossbows. I just can't be bothered to respond. Yet I laugh when I read the "Oh my bow shoulder and or elbow is hurting... should I lower my poundage down from 70#? Will doing so lose my macho image?" So sad...

And to those that make that comment... "Yes that is correct... it's not bow hunting... it's CROSSBOW hunting!
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
SEW

Post by SEW »

bloodtrail wrote:I hunt with my crossbow because I want to.
Me too. No apology! I can't stand the stupid elitests!

PS I'm 68 and and still hunt with stick bows (since 1957) but started using xbows 32 years ago. Just wish I'd given Excalibur a chance earlier than I did(3years ago).
I'm an equal opportunity hunter : v- recurve and h-recurve.
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

I hunt primarily with my 'burs, occasionally with the compound. But my fun bow is my compound. Its nice to shoot and its satisfying to be accurate with it. Setting up rests, sites etc and getting it dialed is a hoot. Slinging arrows thru the warm summer evenings at a target with a cool drink nearby and a friend or two is my idea of heaven.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Onetimeonly x-->

Post by Onetimeonly x--> »

Late season drawbacks or lack of them with a compound. I like the cold and late season hunts, with heavier clothes and a lower draw weight. I found myself struggling to get the shot off "unnoticed" after a long sit on stand. My body shutdown/locked up, the equipment was fine. Xbow hands down makes the late season happen for me...
'13 Matrix 380/Hawke XB30 Pro Scope
'13 Matrix 355/Hawke XB30 Scope
Boo Triggers & Custom Strings
Wabi Custom Calls
AND A WHOLE LOT OF FRESH AIR!!
Godspeed!!
Scott
artifact

Post by artifact »

I went to a crossbow because of a not that great shoulder.
Have to laugh at the compound shooters that hate crossbows!
I remember when the compound was illegal, than they legalized them with a maximum of no more than a 20% let off, also mechanical releases were illegal to use. Most of the stick bow hunters frowned on the compound users, but almost all of them made the switch eventually.
I'll guarantee that there would be a lot less deer shot with bows if only stick bows and finger shooting were allowed, maybe should go back to that, and watch all the compound shooters cry!
I still respect a guy the most; who can get a deer using a stick bow, fingers, and shooting instinctive, not many of them left though!
SO: the compound was to the stick bow the same as the crossbow is to the compound, get over it! :)
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

I just like to hunt . I like hunting with my Excal. the best if someone wants to use a long bow or compound or recurve let them . if we as hunters don't stick together. some day we will have no hunting . that is my opinion .
W.M.
Richieg150

Post by Richieg150 »

I have hunted and target hunted with a compound for over 30 years. My first longbow compound bow was a Bear, and I used it all that time, because it worked. All my friends bought the latest and greatest and didn't shoot better or kill more deer than me and my old bear. After rotator cuff surgeries on the same shoulder, 3 of them, I no longer could use my bear. I did some research on crossbows and settled on Excalibur. I bought a Axiom, and love it. I shoot with some friends that shoot Mathews compounds, with ALL the new bells and whistles. They are neat looking compounds but with those I shoot with, my Axiom out shoots them all. Its funny how guys talk of how good they shoot, THEN you get them on a range or 3D range, and the proof is in the pudding. I was telling them of how accurate my Axiom was, and one of them telling me that he could shoot a 3 inch group, of 3, from 40 yards every time. We went to the range and he couldn't shoot any 3 inch groups at any range, let alone 40 yards. After they all shot awhile, I broke out my Axiom. I shot 3 arrows at the 40 yard target ALL within 3 inches, I could not resist. :wink: I do not miss shooting my longbow, to ME, my Axiom is easier to aim and the accuracy of my Axiom is fantastic, and shooting a 433 gr. arrow is moving at 295 fps. I just wish, I would have run into someone who shot a crossbow so I could have enjoyed shooting them years ago.
Psalm 144:1-1 Praise be to the LORD my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle.
2 He is my loving God and my fortress, my stronghold and my deliverer, my shield, in whom I take refuge, who subdues peoples under me
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

artifact wrote:I went to a crossbow because of a not that great shoulder.
Have to laugh at the compound shooters that hate crossbows!
I remember when the compound was illegal, than they legalized them with a maximum of no more than a 20% let off, also mechanical releases were illegal to use. Most of the stick bow hunters frowned on the compound users, but almost all of them made the switch eventually.
I'll guarantee that there would be a lot less deer shot with bows if only stick bows and finger shooting were allowed, maybe should go back to that, and watch all the compound shooters cry!
I still respect a guy the most; who can get a deer using a stick bow, fingers, and shooting instinctive, not many of them left though!
SO: the compound was to the stick bow the same as the crossbow is to the compound, get over it! :)
:lol: Amen Bro :D couldn't have said it gooder myself :wink: Dave
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 »

I love compound bows, however spine and shoulder surgery forced me to crossbows. crossbows are very accurate, easy to use and almost anyone with half a brain can pick one up and be putting arrows in the bull in a matter of hours. compound bows are (in my opinion) harder to shoot well. I'll never look back, I wish I had got into crossbows earlier, I may have saved a shoulder :)
rayman

Post by rayman »

I love my excal. Can not say that about any verticle Bows I have ever had.

Don't have to spend as much time practicing and hanging around bow shops.

The recovery rate is typically much better with my Excalibur, which is very important to me.
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

I enjoy the rifle-like accuracy and the economy of reusable projectiles that crossbows give me. Àrchery of some variety has always been my favorite shooting sport since 1980 when I bought my first bow.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

I still shoot my longbows, recurves and compounds. I always wanted to try a crossbow. After I bought a axiom I became hooked. I have 3 excaliburs now and everyone is fun to shoot.
Have crossbows will travel