Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goober

Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Post by Goober »

:| Why do you choose a cross bow? I do because I'm a 130lbs noodle battling fibromyalgia and cannot stand there with a drawern bow.
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
Minnow

Re: Crossbow vs.Compound Bow.

Post by Minnow »

I debated getting a compound bow before buying my ibex but I guess my choice came down to budget and simplicity. I'm 6'4" big frame, most compounds don't adjust to the length I need and the ones that do were a little more expensive than I could afford, plus I would need to buy a decent release which put me way over. My dad suggested a crossbow, specifically excalibur because of reliability, reputation and simplicity. I still may buy a compound but I'm in no rush, I love my excal!!! :mrgreen:
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

Shot vertical compound bows for the past 25 years but age and shoulder problems caught up with me and I couldn't handle the draw, so a crossbow was the logical move...then came the debate over which brand....did my homework and it wasn't a difficult decision to go with the Excalibur line.
IroquoisArcher

Post by IroquoisArcher »

Personally and no disrespect meant to either option. I'd prefer to shoot a compound hands down, easier holding steady and shooting imo. BUT bad rotator cup, torn bicep tendon, 3 open heart surgeries made it difficult to draw over 49# 4 years ago (though it still shot almost through a black bear quartering at 23 yards) and it went downhill since then. Will admit I bought a Parker Challenger and would still be with it but a probable serious surgery thought would need last summer had me sell it but backup plan is my Dad has an Exocet 175 from the later 90's I could use as he couldn't anymore.
So there's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
Now if I could only see a deer to shoot at!
Oh btw I just barely beat your 130#, 128# to 132# depending on the holidays or not.
Goober

Post by Goober »

IroquoisArcher wrote:Personally and no disrespect meant to either option. I'd prefer to shoot a compound hands down, easier holding steady and shooting imo. BUT bad rotator cup, torn bicep tendon, 3 open heart surgeries made it difficult to draw over 49# 4 years ago (though it still shot almost through a black bear quartering at 23 yards) and it went downhill since then. Will admit I bought a Parker Challenger and would still be with it but a probable serious surgery thought would need last summer had me sell it but backup plan is my Dad has an Exocet 175 from the later 90's I could use as he couldn't anymore.
So there's my story and I'm sticking to it. :)
Now if I could only see a deer to shoot at!
Oh btw I just barely beat your 130#, 128# to 132# depending on the holidays or not.
I hear ya. I would LOVE to shoot a vertical bow but I just don't have the strength. Hell I can barely cock my grizzly.
REMINGTON 870 EXP
2013 REMINGTON 700 BDL .270 WIN CDLUX W/NIKON PROSTAFF 3X9X40
1978 REMINGTON 700 BDL .300 WIN MAG CDLX W/LEUPOLD VXII 3X9X40
2014 SAVAGE AXIS .223 REM
2014 RUGER 10/22 GREEN/GREY ANNIVERSARY EDITION
AND A FEW OTHER LIL CLOSET PLINKERS
SniperWolf

Post by SniperWolf »

I started out with crossbows and last year finally bought a compound bow and I love it. I ended up with my first crossbow simply because I couldn't afford a Mathews bow. After a number of crossbows I couldn't shake the urge to try out a compound. Last year before my Turkey hunt I stumbled on an eBay post and the same model that I wanted before but couldn't afford going for a sweet $400. Bow was waiting for me when I got back from my hunt. Had the bow checked out to make sure nothing was wrong. The bow is in mint condition. Now folks don't get me wrong I love my crossbow and I hunt with my crossbow but God do I ever love this Mathews bow. Favourite hands down.
Matrix 330 "Mercy"
Slick Tricks
Boo Custom String
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

I shot compound bows exclusively until 2006 when I tore my rotator cuff and bought an ExoMax. After a few years I picked up my compound bow again and hunted successfully with both. Finally this past season I had to hang up the compound bow for good. I originally shot a 70# draw and had dropped down to 50# just to stay in the game. I can still pull 70#, but my shoulder just won't allow me to keep any weight back the necessary amount of time without discomfort. The lifting motion to cock a crossbow has never been an issue because it is a different motion for the joint.

When hunting with a compound bow you do have the added challenge of having to draw with the target in close, but all of the other challenges (wind direction, shot placement, distance limited, etc) are still there plus others like added sound. So I like the challenge of either method.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Mr. RoC

Post by Mr. RoC »

Goober wrote::| Why do you choose a cross bow? I do because I'm a 130lbs noodle battling fibromyalgia and cannot stand there with a drawern bow.
Why do you even care what others think?

Has someone made a negative comment regarding you using a crossbow?

Use and enjoy what makes you happy... Stand up to those that criticize you and your crossbow.

Cheers
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

Started shooting recurve bows in 1960, then when the compound bows came out I started shooting them, then in 2006, I fell out of a tree putting up a tree stand and broke my neck, and busted my shoulder up pretty bad, :( but I kept trying to recover but I just couldn't draw the compound. :( so I researched all the crossbows and decided on my equinox without any reservations :D so now at 73 i'm still out hunting with archery equipment :D :D :D and filling my freezer up every year, and hope to do so every year as long as I can,,,,,,,,,, Dave :D
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
SniperWolf

Post by SniperWolf »

Mr.ROC I have had compound enthusiasts jump all over me over the use of crossbow. I don't hide the fact that I'm in favor of crossbows for both target and hunting and I do hunt with my crossbow. The main comment I hear all the time......"its not a bow" or....."that's not bow hunting".
Matrix 330 "Mercy"
Slick Tricks
Boo Custom String
munch

Post by munch »

ive got lots of crossbows but like hunting with a compound when i can as well as 3d shoots with my mathews . i have bad discs in my neck and theres days i just cant hunt with the compound
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
Xbowkiller

Post by Xbowkiller »

Love my crossbows. Easy on my body.
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Kill ratio goes up a hundred percent with a crossbow hands down out performs compounds once you get used to the differences. Using a scope in all hunting conditions makes a world of difference on producing game! Doesn't matter which way you go practice and confidence in the set up pays off! Excals are awesome! I hunted solely this season with the matrix 380 and shot 4 deer! 7 deer in 2 seasons with crossbow my compounds didn't come close, especially once the temps dropped! Happy Huntn! :D
deertrx
PS just know you can miss no matter what you shoot at just like me! That's deer hunting it is never the same twice!! :D :D
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
Mr. RoC

Post by Mr. RoC »

SniperWolf wrote:Mr.ROC I have had compound enthusiasts jump all over me over the use of crossbow. I don't hide the fact that I'm in favor of crossbows for both target and hunting and I do hunt with my crossbow. The main comment I hear all the time......"its not a bow" or....."that's not bow hunting".
Over at the AT forum it's the same old thing... this vs that and it gets very tiring to read the "Bow Snobs" criticize crossbows. I just can't be bothered to respond. Yet I laugh when I read the "Oh my bow shoulder and or elbow is hurting... should I lower my poundage down from 70#? Will doing so lose my macho image?" So sad...

And to those that make that comment... "Yes that is correct... it's not bow hunting... it's CROSSBOW hunting!
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I made the switch from traditional bows due to my age andbecause I tore out the tricep in my left (bow arm) and can't support a vert bow above 28# any longer...

I successfully hunted right at 50 years with recurves and longbows... now I'm really enjoying excals. and have both a 335 Micro and a 355 Matrix but soon may try and get a Grizzly for a daily shooter due to less draw weight. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier