Who Hunts in southern Ontario??

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bowmajik

Re: Who Hunts in southern Ontario??

Post by bowmajik »

Thanks for looking out brotha. I'm leaning more towards simcoe. Do you have any info for that area?
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
125 grain slicktrick magnum's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Big John 16in zombie slayers +lumeknock and blazers(289gn)
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

bowmajik wrote:What's the public land access like? I've always shyed away from southern ontario because of the lack of hunting opportunities and some horror stories I've been told by friends of mine who tried to hunt the hamilton area.

I have an area that I hunt in Hamilton. I would love to hear what horror stories there are. Got a few of my own too!
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I hunted Orrilia for about 5 years(wmu76)you can still find a land owner that will let you hunt if you try hard( knock on doors, be real friendly).Its when you start going south of there like Innisfil, Bradford,Barrie, you're chances are real slim. I would start in Orrilia, it's hard but not impossible, good luck again.
MADMAX2

Post by MADMAX2 »

90B,89B Where were the bucks this year?? :shock:
The best things in life are not things!!
janesy

Post by janesy »

It's getting tougher and tougher up here to find land owners who want to let you on.
We call it the 'BASSPRO EFFECT' up here. I manage a small retail operation on 48 about 20 minutes North or Stouffville. And like clockwork, on opening day for geese, deer and usually the November controlled hunt we have guys walk in the door in $1000 worth of Underarmour clothing asking if we know of anywhere they can hunt for the day. no planning, no forsight, just hopped in the car and started driving North.
So good on ya for asking and doing your research first, because I'm sure you can guess how much info those guys get from me on opening morning LOL
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

janesy wrote:It's getting tougher and tougher up here to find land owners who want to let you on.
We call it the 'BASSPRO EFFECT' up here. I manage a small retail operation on 48 about 20 minutes North or Stouffville. And like clockwork, on opening day for geese, deer and usually the November controlled hunt we have guys walk in the door in $1000 worth of Underarmour clothing asking if we know of anywhere they can hunt for the day. no planning, no forsight, just hopped in the car and started driving North.
So good on ya for asking and doing your research first, because I'm sure you can guess how much info those guys get from me on opening morning LOL
My wife and I decided to take our dog for a walk on a well know trail on the first day of deer gun season (Monday, November) My wife noticed a white Ford pick up on the trail and wondered who that was. I told her, first day of gun season probably a CO. Sure enough it was. He blocked us in and saw the dog so he knew we weren't hunting.

I've been living here for about 20 years and I know of 3 instances with goose hunters and the police being called because people call the police as soon as they hear the sound of gunfire. In one case the cop chopper was called in. The local paper usually posts info about gunfire and the upcoming hunting season.
janesy

Post by janesy »

I was stopped on the first day SG as well. I think he pretty much documented everyone's whereabouts that day. No problem as were all above board. But that following Wednesday when we hit our spots in the morning...Someone had been into the private property the night before, and left their chair behind. Frustrating.

va3cgt, Are you Chris?
Blackout BD-Axe "Hatchet340"
Suppressor 400TD
Assassin 400Extreme
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

one shot scott wrote:
bowmajik wrote:What's the public land access like? I've always shyed away from southern ontario because of the lack of hunting opportunities and some horror stories I've been told by friends of mine who tried to hunt the hamilton area.

I have an area that I hunt in Hamilton. I would love to hear what horror stories there are. Got a few of my own too!
Do tell.
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

janesy wrote:I was stopped on the first day SG as well. I think he pretty much documented everyone's whereabouts that day. No problem as were all above board. But that following Wednesday when we hit our spots in the morning...Someone had been into the private property the night before, and left their chair behind. Frustrating.

va3cgt, Are you Chris?
Yep
one shot scott

Post by one shot scott »

va3cgt wrote:
one shot scott wrote:

Do tell.

it includes night vision and poachers.
*thumbhole vixen*original relayer*y25relayer*matrix380-
Mr. RoC

Post by Mr. RoC »

bowmajik wrote:I'm just wondering who hunts deer in southern ontario and what their success rate is like? Thinking about scouting spots a little closer to home (toronto) :wink:
Started out my hunting experiences on public land in WMU 72 for turkey and deer. It was a learning experience for me so no luck but almost on a turkey.

Bought a cabin on 215 acres of private land last year in WMU 62. Trail cam showed at least three mature bucks on my land. I let one spike walk in hopes for one of the big ones to show them selves. No choice but let two does pass. If I had a antlerless tag or just wanted to fill the freezer I would have tagged out the last week of Oct.

No biggie... next time.

But now we have the spring bear hunt and we do have bear on our property I'm very tempted to set up a bait station.

It'll be a busy 2016 hunting season starting with bear, turkey, bear then deer, unfortunately no fall turkey in my area. Nothing's going to get done at the cabin this year.
2015 Excalibur Micro 335 - 397 gr @ 326 fps... 94 ft/lb
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

va3cgt

A friend of mine was bow hunting, downed a deer. Everything legal to the letter. I guess somebody saw him in cano dragging his deer out. He was met by a few cops who didn't have much info/knowledge on if he could even be hunting. Long story short he was kept there for a few hours. Not really a horror story but after a successful hunt who really wants to deal with cops who dont know much about hunting laws and regs?
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey
Fazan

Post by Fazan »

[/guote]

Bought a cabin on 215 acres of private land last year in WMU 62. Trail cam showed at least three mature bucks on my land. I let one spike walk in hopes for one of the big ones to show them selves. No choice but let two does pass. If I had a antlerless tag or just wanted to fill the freezer I would have tagged out the last week of Oct.

[/quote]

I was looking for land with or without cabin in WMU 61. Prices were all over the map.
Can you tell me what was your land per acre?
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

bowmajik wrote:va3cgt

A friend of mine was bow hunting, downed a deer. Everything legal to the letter. I guess somebody saw him in cano dragging his deer out. He was met by a few cops who didn't have much info/knowledge on if he could even be hunting. Long story short he was kept there for a few hours. Not really a horror story but after a successful hunt who really wants to deal with cops who dont know much about hunting laws and regs?
Unfortunately when hunting in this Province you have to be very discreet about it whether gun or bow hunting. A couple hours detained seems a bit excessive. I gather they gave him the rubber glove treatment and were looking to charge him with something.

Same thing happened to a couple friends of mine. They were goose hunting a farmers field and a passer by noticed them with guns and called the cops. They were also given the rubber glove treatment and let go.
bowmajik

Post by bowmajik »

Va3cgt, It's a shame! You abide by the rules follow guidelines do alot of research and still get the "rubber glove treatment" :shock:
335 Micro Nightmare
150 grain boltcutters
100 grain Toxic's
Deer,Bear, Turkey