what happened to the reasonable price on Excal crossbows

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

hunter with MS

Re: what happened to the reasonable price on Excal crossbows

Post by hunter with MS »

I own and hunt with my Exomax and before that my Exomag 200 for years and both are still tack drivers . As my MS progresses the 6.5 pounds and the long draw and forward wt. are making it harder to use them . I did get to use a Matrix 330 for a week or so at 5.1 pounds and a shorter draw it fit the bill . But again price is a big factor as not getting one when on fixed income at this time . I know nothing can be done about the price .
edstuff

Post by edstuff »

Well depending on what you want and how patient you are it is possible to find a deal. I've seen some nice prices on craigslist and I just bought a brand new cub off ebay for 350 shipped. I know they say the Cub is a "youth" model but 190 draw and 285 fps is good enough for me. :D
Scarecrow

Post by Scarecrow »

amythntr wrote:....just curious....what are the prices on the new line of bows...have not seen the prices posted on the website?

Anthony :)
The only prices I have seen are those quoted on the video for the Bulldog 400 ($1199) and the Micro 355 ($1099).
Micro 335 - Vixenmaster String, Diablo, Slick Trick 150
M380 - Hawke XB30 Pro, Vixenmaster String, Quill, VPA 150 / FOC
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Let me weigh in on this one. Waited a long time to be able to put the cash together for my bow. Was definitely going to get an Axiom or an Ibex, as that was my budget and targeted price. Then I saw the Grizzly for the same price kitted out as the Axiom. IMHO, this is all the bow anyone needs for most hunting in North America. Any more speed only becomes a "bragging" issue and a big dollar price tag. Love my Grizzly. Only bow I will ever need. I am also on a fixed income and have mobility issues, and the Grizzly fits all of my needs and wants.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

farm3rbrian wrote:Let me weigh in on this one. Waited a long time to be able to put the cash together for my bow. Was definitely going to get an Axiom or an Ibex, as that was my budget and targeted price. Then I saw the Grizzly for the same price kitted out as the Axiom. IMHO, this is all the bow anyone needs for most hunting in North America. Any more speed only becomes a "bragging" issue and a big dollar price tag. Love my Grizzly. Only bow I will ever need. I am also on a fixed income and have mobility issues, and the Grizzly fits all of my needs and wants.
....enjoy your new bow farm3rbrian...there is something said when one saves for something as you did! Don't forget to post some pictures when your Grizzly draws some blood...

Anthony :wink:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have mobility problems comes with MS along with hand/ arm issues and some vision issues all comes with MS. My concern is if the price keeps going up how can a new person disabled or not wanting to get into Crossbows supposed to afford one ? That is one less person in support of crossbows . Which at some point we as crossbow users may need .
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have owned and loved my exomax for 15 years but when I picked up my buddies micro last year for the first time in 15 years I knew I wanted a new one. I had several older rifles I will never hunt with again since I have been bowhunting only for the last 20 years and I was lucky enough to find a dealer that would make a good trade for a couple of them for a new micro.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

hunter with MS wrote:I have mobility problems comes with MS along with hand/ arm issues and some vision issues all comes with MS. My concern is if the price keeps going up how can a new person disabled or not wanting to get into Crossbows supposed to afford one ? That is one less person in support of crossbows . Which at some point we as crossbow users may need .
Point well taken. IMO the price appears to be prohibited due to that the current bows are being sold as a "kit". No doubt about it, with all the accessories included, the sticker price is shocking. It's unfortunate that Excalibur no longer sell "bare bows", thus allowing the consumer the choice to purchase accessories as/when needed. If they did so, it would make the price appear more appealing. It would also allow the consumers to customize "their" bow to "their" specs and they would not be stuck with the accessories which are "forced" upon them in the kit, but which they neither need nor want .

Personally if I was given the choice, I can see myself purchasing a new Excalibur with the "bare essentials", but currently having all the accessories I want/need, I will not purchase an Excalibur in a kit form.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I agree with this it took me over a year to finally decide to buy the bow and the main sticking point for me was that I couldn't get anyone to sell me just the bow ! :x
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Certainly a fair argument about bare bones versus kitted bows. But for anyone like me who is brand new to this segment of the sport, having to decide on a scope, quiver, bolts etc. would have been overwhelming and expensive trying to set up my perfect weapon. With a kit, I have a starting point, and can modify as needed as I become proficient and knowledgeable about my 'bow
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

farm3rbrian wrote:Certainly a fair argument about bare bones versus kitted bows. But for anyone like me who is brand new to this segment of the sport, having to decide on a scope, quiver, bolts etc. would have been overwhelming and expensive trying to set up my perfect weapon. With a kit, I have a starting point, and can modify as needed as I become proficient and knowledgeable about my 'bow
Agreed!!!!

I'm not saying that Excalibur should not sell "KITS", as there is a market for them. My point is that they should also consider and not abandon the consumer who neither needs nor wants a kit. If they did, I would think that they would increase their sales and market share.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

Tom

Post by Tom »

hunter with MS wrote:I have mobility problems comes with MS along with hand/ arm issues and some vision issues all comes with MS. My concern is if the price keeps going up how can a new person disabled or not wanting to get into Crossbows supposed to afford one ? That is one less person in support of crossbows . Which at some point we as crossbow users may need .
I agree the price is higher now and hurts some of us that are on a limited budget.

But I believe that the earlier bows, with them staying nearly all the same for many years, with just basic changes (longer rail, different camo) the Cost $ for research was not as much as it is today. All this new Research & Development costs a lot of money. We see the final products, how many products were rejected and will never reach the consumer market. I bet a few. These all cost a lot of money, which in turn, the consumers will have to cover these cost in the price of the newer bows.

We (not me) as consumers asked, begged for bows just like they are now producing. Someone has to cover all the cost in the production of the bows, and if it is the company, then they will not be selling bows for very long.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Yes covering cost to make it is what has to done . But if the price was reduced would more units not be sold . Yes it may take more time to recoup the expense but more units would be sold .
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The bottom line boils down to supply and demand. With higher demand comes higher prices. Ultimately the price point is determined by the highest price that the buyer will bare and ensures that all the available supply can be sold.
ComfyBear
ComfyBear Strings

jparchery

Post by jparchery »

I was talking with a sales rep at Lebaron outdoors a few days ago, he told me for every 10 excaliburs he sells ,2 other brands get sold. The ratio is basically 10:2 Excalibur: other bows. I'm not sure about the market in the USA, but in southern Ontario people are buying Excalibur bows like hot cakes, it's no wonder the price is high!