which string suppresion system

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sitruc

which string suppresion system

Post by sitruc »

I'm looking to pick up a string suppression system for my new to me, exomax. It already has the d-bars, but I would like to add some bumpers. I realize excalibur makes the S5 for this series, but have heard a few negatives about them. i.e. rubber cracks, not easily adjustable to brace height. I recently changed the string, and after stretching I have it a fairly long 1 3/8", just forward of the back line. It shoots really good groups there, so I plan on keeping it very close to that spot. From some searching, there seems to be a Bowjax system, the STS? Also have heard that Danny Miller has "baby buggy bumpers"? Not sure if these last 2 are still available or if they are better/worse, or even if they are indeed different. Anyone have any experience with any of these alternatives, and if so any advice?
Excalibur Exomax
Horton Storm
PSE Premonition
galamb

Re: which string suppresion system

Post by galamb »

Can give you a very small "personal" experience.

I have a Vix II. Been shooting it for six or seven years.

I have both the D-Bars and the S5 which I installed within days of getting the bow.

I have "never" replaced the bumpers on the S5 or the dissipators for that matter.

The string does not touch unless it has over stretched (usually a new string breaking it in).

My bow has more thousands of shots on then I can even attempt to count (and if I said 30,000 or 40,000 I'm probably giving you a conservative number - when the weather is nice 1000 shots a week is typical - have a 25 yard range in my backyard)

So my experience has been that I will most likely only have to replace the bumper part when they "die of old age", nothing my bow is doing to them seems to be shortening their life.

BUT, like I said, I'm shooting a Vix II - it's slower, less force on the string = less impact weight on the bumpers and that most certainly is a factor in their "life expectancy".
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
sitruc

Post by sitruc »

Thanks for that info. Are they adjustable to brace height?
Excalibur Exomax
Horton Storm
PSE Premonition
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

The S5's are great. They made a small design change after they were introduced and it extended the life of the bumpers dramatically. Danny Miller has bumpers for the Matrix and Micro series bows but not the older Exo series. The S5's are made to where you set your brace height to them . A very good system.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I prefer the string bumpers from Dr Stirrup. I think they cause less strain on the limbs because they allow the string to actually rest lightly in the bumper. They reduce shock and lessen the noise.
sitruc

Post by sitruc »

I hadn't looked at the bumpers from Dr Stirrup. I guess I assumed they were for Matrix and Micro only. Damn you SEW, another choice. LOL
Excalibur Exomax
Horton Storm
PSE Premonition