Noise reduction

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Mike

Noise reduction

Post by Big Mike »

I have heard of guys spray foaming the inside of the rail to help reduce noise, anyone tried this ?
SEW

Re: Noise reduction

Post by SEW »

Here's a M380 with packed riser, stock, and a "few" other noise reduction measures. It's quieter than my Solution 350.

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I filled all my rails wen i did my trigger tec upgrades with long pieces of black pipe insulation n a long skinny screw driver ...just keep shovin It in . It absolutely helps along with cat wiskers thats as anal as i get. Im not trying to silence the beast just quiet it down couple pegs.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
SEW

Post by SEW »

The greatest noise reduction is also the easiest, IMO. Remove the scope rail. Remove the arrow hold down spring. Place a 3-4" piece of shrink wrap that extends just slightly past the forward tip of the spring. Then please a slightly shorter piece over the first shrink wrap. Now, gently shape(bend) the spring to where it very lightly contacts the arrow in the rail. Now, the after shot oscillation will be silenced as will the much louder slap on the riser be prevented.
I get REALLY tired of hearing just how LOUD recurves are, when my M405 shooting my relatively light (398.3g) arrows is quieter than the really quiet Solution 350(w/o the noisy, plastic hand guard) shooting 440g arrows. My 380 is even quieter yet, now that it has the Ktech Xbow Stabilizer.
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Besides some of the above, I've also taken my stocks off and cut a strip of inner tube the length of the stock to lay in between it and the rail, as a stock bedding. Just put in a slit for your stock screws. Makes a nice difference. Also your foot stirrups can be wrapped with tubing also. Then wrap that with hockey/ tennis racket tape. Makes a big difference also.
By the way SEW, nice setup. :D
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I jus shoot a heavier arrow
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

vixenmaster wrote:I jus shoot a heavier arrow
Best way to do it .
Exocet 165 2.5x32 Drop Zone scope
Vixenmaster and Danny miller strings
Gold tip laser II arrows ,Muzzy 235 broadheads
galamb

Post by galamb »

Crossbows are just plain loud no matter what you do to them.

The quietest ones will be the slowest bows shooting the heaviest arrows - so the bows they don't make anymore and nobody wants.

If you want near total noise reduction, wear a good set of earmuffs :lol:
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

galamb wrote:Crossbows are just plain loud no matter what you do to them.

The quietest ones will be the slowest bows shooting the heaviest arrows - so the bows they don't make anymore and nobody wants.

I like my slow bows plenty :mrgreen:
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

galamb wrote:Crossbows are just plain loud no matter what you do to them.

I found it tiring to climb down and put the ear muff's on the deer's ears before every shot, the silencing was once and done, don't have to mess with the muffs no more,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
MI Yeti

Post by MI Yeti »

:lol:
SEW

Post by SEW »

I don't feel that a crossbow has to be made slow to be quiet. Mine is slower, but not by a lot. M380 speed 358'/sec. When all this is done to my M405, the speed is still 383'/sec.
1) Packed riser/stock - no speed loss.
2) Heat shrinked arrow hold down spring - no speed loss.
3) Dr Stirrup kit, all of it - 1-2'/sec speed loss.
4) Ktech xbow stabilizer - no speed loss.
5) Custom string/silencers - 4'/sec loss
6) 398.3g arrows (420 - 450 soon).
7) TT 2.5# DS - quieter string release, at least, I think.

This M380 is very quiet! Compromise, what compromise for virtual silence? None, then why not do it?
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

wildcatter wrote:I found it tiring to climb down and put the ear muff's on the deer's ears before every shot, the silencing was once and done, don't have to mess with the muffs no more,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Priceless!! :lol: :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

j.krug wrote:
wildcatter wrote:I found it tiring to climb down and put the ear muff's on the deer's ears before every shot, the silencing was once and done, don't have to mess with the muffs no more,,,,, :lol: :lol: :lol:
Priceless!! :lol: :lol:
I may have to see if that works on my wife too. I swear each time I take her to a sporting goods store she's instantly next to me if I ask to see a new gun or when I pick up a new bow model. Seems to hear me from all the way across the store! Never fails.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.