405, 380, micro

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

405, 380, micro

Post by Troubleshooter »

On an other xbow forum someone start this topic: 'lets start a post of the excals that aren't broke'

I personally think there is just a little percentage of 405, 380 and micro who had broken limbs.

But this topic had many reactions, but till so far not one positive reaction from a 405, 380 and micro - owner. In fact, this topic gives me more worries than all the topics with limb problems.

Maybe we can do here the same and have some better results....so let us hear if you are an owner of these bows / have been shooting a lot with them / and had no problems at all.
Normous

Re: 405, 380, micro

Post by Normous »

I own and shoot frequently a 405, 380, now a Matrix 355 and a 355 Micro with zero limb issues.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
Boo

Post by Boo »

I have a 408. It is a field test bow that clocked 1800 shots until a couple of dimwitts semi dry-fired it several times. The result was a large limb splinter, mushroomed nocks and split shafts.
The current limbs survived a 48 hour full cock test. So everything is good in my camp!
I also have a 355 Micro field test bow since last year with several hundred shots and many days cocked for 24 hours. No issues but no dimwitts allowed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:I have a 408. It is a field test bow that clocked 1800 shots until a couple of dimwitts semi dry-fired it several times. The result was a large limb splinter, mushroomed nocks and split shafts.
The current limbs survived a 48 hour full cock test. So everything is good in my camp!
I also have a 355 Micro field test bow since last year with several hundred shots and many days cocked for 24 hours. No issues but no dimwitts allowed.
You sure i shot that 355 :wink:
My Micro 335 has close to or more then 1000 trouble free shots for 13 months
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
SEW

Post by SEW »

M380 - 3 years, many days cocked all day. Likely, 2,000 shots, at least 1,500.
M405 - 2 years, many more days cocked all day. At least 700 shots, maybe 1,000.
No limb breakage.
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Are they truly broken limbs one might ask. Some might be just a splinter showing up. A laminated limb that would be a great reason for concern. But Excalibur limbs are a different story in comparison. In the first month of owning my micro 335 I had a 2" splinter that I'm sure I could have just clipped off. Instead of any worrying I called it in. No problems to get a warranty replacement. This set has seen hundreds of shots, left cocked overnight plenty of times to stretch out new strings, cocked most of the day on hunts. Not a problem with these. And I'm sure my first ones would have been just fine also. Like I said it was just a concern, plus it bothered me knowing it was there. I didn't get online crying limb failure. It wasn't. And I also own the matrix 355. Need I say more? Ha. It's been shot to many to guess. It does have a little void in one limb from a air pocket in the process. But that sure is nothing. I love both of these bows. 3 deer this season. :-)
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

I have a 380 which was a replacement for an early 405 I owned. No issues with the 380 so far, but I haven't shot it as much as my Exo-series bows.

I wasn't as lucky with the 405, small splinter on right limb, screws coming loose, not to mention it was my 405 which brought to light the trigger issue which was responsible for the recall.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

2-380's 2 years both over 500 shots, the Mad Max over 700 to a 1000, it had a splinter the first 100 shots,,, I broke it of and kept on keep'n on, still spot on. Both have been cocked all day day after day, I usually hunt 5 days or more a week from Oct thru Feb. The rest of the year is when they get as amny as 50 shots a day on em. both will keep their favorite arrows to within 1 fps for a 10 shot string, and put em all inside a bottle cap at 50 yards,,, what more can I ask for??

The 405 I got after hunting season started, so so far I only have around 50 shots on it. But it get's cocked and left cocked for 12 to 16 hours at a time. I have had it cocked for around 100 hours so far and no issues with mine,,,,knock on wood,,,,, after hunting season is over Feb 7th. I plan on shoot'n the live'n crap out of it.

Micro 335, I had a used one that left the original limbs crack, my only ever failure of any limb on an Excalibur. I got them replaced and sold the bow with probably 300 shots on it, maybe a little less but they were cocked for 12 to 24 hours numerous days and nights. The current owner is still trouble free!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

1- 355 and 2_ 335s with no problems at all!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
woodmnctry

Post by woodmnctry »

3 year old 380 and 2 yr old 405 --- left the 405 cocked for two days + this year during hunting season -------absolutely no nada zip zero problems -- and they are both tack drivers --- my guess is that since they both have Munch Mounts that must be the reason they are hanging in there :lol: -------
I am a very happy camper :D :D :D
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

my 380 is holding up just fine and I shoot it a lot . 355 as well.
W.M.
HorizontalArchr

Post by HorizontalArchr »

I have a 3 year M380. Close to 1500 shots and have had no problems what so ever.. Limb issues my arse. I expect no issues in the future.
Matrix 380
Triggertech Matrix Hunter
Matrix Munch Mount
2012 Vortex
18" Zombie Slayers
100 grain Magnum Slick Tricks
Twilight scope
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

Heyu wrote:Are they truly broken limbs one might ask. Some might be just a splinter showing up. A laminated limb that would be a great reason for concern. But Excalibur limbs are a different story in comparison. In the first month of owning my micro 335 I had a 2" splinter that I'm sure I could have just clipped off. Instead of any worrying I called it in. No problems to get a warranty replacement. This set has seen hundreds of shots, left cocked overnight plenty of times to stretch out new strings, cocked most of the day on hunts. Not a problem with these. And I'm sure my first ones would have been just fine also. Like I said it was just a concern, plus it bothered me knowing it was there. I didn't get online crying limb failure. It wasn't. And I also own the matrix 355. Need I say more? Ha. It's been shot to many to guess. It does have a little void in one limb from a air pocket in the process. But that sure is nothing. I love both of these bows. 3 deer this season. :-)
Yes, 'broken' limbs is maybe a to 'heavy' word. But i find a splinter on a limb allready something what it shouldn't be there.

Til so far great positive reaction's from people on this topic and i'm glad te hear so many positive sounds! Because i find them all great bows.

I personally own a 380 blackout, done between 700 - 1000 shots with it and still going strong. (only a problem with the scope)
Last edited by Troubleshooter on Sun Jan 10, 2016 8:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

The 405 I had last year went through 4 sets of limbs before I returned it for my Nightmare Micro.. Limbs would splinter in different spots. I was shooting 438 grain completed BEE's out of mine and brace was always maintained....

Both my Micro's have been trouble free since I bought them last year... Cocked in the tree from sunrise to sunset.. 12-14 hours a day... no issues

My Matrix 380 also has been problem free..Cocked in the tree from sunrise to sunset.. 12-14 hours a day... no issues

On a sad note, my buddies 405 just splinted on his third set of limbs... He is not very happy and does not trust it anymore.. Don't know what he plans on doing with it....

Splinter vs. broken limb... Does it really matter which it is? It is still damaged, maybe functional as a splinter but still damaged.. Some of us can live with it and others will not. These are not $300.00 bows.I will not accept a splinter on my limb as normal wear and tear. I'm not going to bash about it and I will have it fixed and if it happens more than once from now on, I don't think I can trust that bow beyond that point..

I'm not trying to rant in the above paragraph, but if we accept splinters or broken limbs as the norm, or don't vocalize about them then it becomes water under the bridge sometimes and may just not push innovation...

So..... With that said, I will at some point this year have a Bulldog to compliment my two Micro's and my 380.. I just will not be on the early train this year..

Signed, Excalibur Fanboy!!!! lol
Last edited by GrassyKnoll on Sun Jan 10, 2016 9:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

GrassyKnoll wrote:The 405 I had last year went through 4 sets of limbs before I returned it for my Nightmare Micro.. Limbs would splinter in different spots. I was shooting 438 grain completed BEE's out of mine and brace was always maintained....

Both my Micro's have been trouble free since I bought them last year

My Matrix 380 also has been problem free..

On a sad note, my buddies 405 just splinted on his third set of limbs... He is not very happy and does not trust it anymore.. Don't know what he plans on doing with it....
That's very sad news and must be very frustrating for you and your friend.

With this kind of news I start thinking it's not a small percentage anymore. (in case of the 405)

Hoping for more positive reactions on this topic...(also negative experiences are welcome)