Vortex vs Grizzly

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

d_dial

Vortex vs Grizzly

Post by d_dial »

Well this is my first post here but have been on archerytalk for quiet some time.

I've had the archery bug for years now with no end in sight. Back to the the title of this thread, I had a Vortex in the past that I can't really say anything bad about it was a good bow.

Do you guys think the smaller limb width of the newer bows make them a better bow then the older Excaliburs?

Figure I could pick up a used vortex or go with a grizzly and be in the same price range. Guess I'm just thinking out loud.

By the way Ive read a lot of posts on here and can see there's a fountain of knowledge and support.Thanks
vixenmaster

Re: Vortex vs Grizzly

Post by vixenmaster »

If'en ya don't mind the wider limbs n abit extra weight the Vortex is a better model IMHO
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
SEW

Post by SEW »

Very few people have done as much to their M380 & M405 to quiet them, to accuratize them, to get "ideal" arrows for them, to get excellent scopes on them, etc..... Yet, a stock Vortex with stock scope, string, Diablos, Boltcutters will shoot as accurately, if not more. A rather highly mod'd Exocet will outshoot both of my Matrix xbows. Even in no wind conditions, a Micro will not shoot as accurately as my Matrix xbows. My Matrix xbow's will shoot 1" or better 3-shot groups @60 yds. I often shoot using benchrest equipment (Hart windage adjustable rest, #13 Protector, wind flags, etc).
Summary: as the limb size goes down, the group size goes up. A factor even in long range hunting? No.
galamb

Post by galamb »

Does shorter limbs make for a "better bow" - you have to define better.

If better means that the limbs are now subjected to more stress then the vintage longer ones, which means their life expectancy will be "less" (debatable how much less) - is that "better"?

Or is it better that you now have to draw 200 lbs (Griz) to get an arrow speed of 305 fps when you only had to draw 175 lbs on the Phoenix to get the same speed

Is the plastic rail on the Griz "better" than the aluminum rail on the older models?

Or does the 2" less "wingspan" make it "better" - I would say anytime you have less wingspan that is "better" but the "costs/detraction" in order to achieve that shorter tip to tip length is more than I'm personally willing to pay.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
ComfyBear

Post by ComfyBear »

The above posts are very interesting, but not surprising. As much as I don't want to say, "I told you so!", if you search the archives you'll see that has been my opinion from the start. I've said it before and I'll say it again; of all the Excaliburs I've owned, the models with "straight" risers could not be beat for smoothness of draw, accuracy, reliability and longevity . IMO from the moment the "forward" risers were introduced all of the aforementioned benefits began to be compromised.
ComfyBear
Micro Axe 340, Matrix 380, Matrix 355, Matrix 350, Exocet 200
ComfyBear Strings
G5 Montecs 125gr., SlickTrick 125 gr. Magnums

To thine own self be true.
Remove thine mask Polonius.
Live thy truth, doth not be false to any man.
gerald strine

Post by gerald strine »

I would choose the Vortex mostly because it is by far a better looking bow the plastic rails look like you are shooting off a milk crate to me.I want to enjoy the artistry of my gear design when I spend that kind of money
The vortex may be a bit bigger but in most cases it is not an issue , it was one of the top end bows just lacking the full camo rail and a few fps behind the Equinox.
I do not see where the Grizzly outperforms the Vortex other than slightly smaller the Vortex offers 30 fps more speed.
But in the end only you can decide what is important to you personally ether bow will get the job done.
Last edited by gerald strine on Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt eat sleep repeat.
bubba

Post by bubba »

I agree with the above. When i was in the market for my first Excalibur crossbow the Vortex is what i wanted. But at that time money was an issue so i settled for my Ibex, with the SMF rail. It has been a very good bow no complaints, but that Vortex is pretty,pretty. And i like Sew have seen the long limbers go... And they will shoot the rails of any Matrix or micro hands down. My two nickels.
Matrix, 355. Hawke Xb-30 Pro. Ibex, Nikon Bolt. Strings By Boo, Nchunter, Zombies & Spynal Tapps From South Shore Archery,Now Built By My Son, N.A.P. Spitfire XXX and Magnus Black Hornets. (Fight Hard..Love Fast.. Die Young..)
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I love my vortex and I ain't selling it. lol
canoe13

Post by canoe13 »

Okay I am going against the grain here. I prefer the Grizzly for hunting. If you do not mind the looks of the SMF rail you get a bow a full 6 inches narrower, almost a pound lighter and 4 inches shorter than a Vortex. Plus a much shorter draw length makes it easier to cock. I had a Vortex, a great bow, but it was history after I tried a Matrix 310 which is the same size as a Grizzly. Now I shoot a Matrix 355 and a Micro 335 and I would be hard pressed to pick a favorite between the two.
Mag Air
Sig Sauer Romeo 5
Excalibur Quills
Tooth of the Arrow broadheads
Vixenmaster strings
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I have an Exocet in the Trading Post right now (same as Vortex but with traditional stock instead of thumbhole.) in case you are interested.

Used my Vortex all last year and took 6 deer and a bison with it. 3 deer from the ground and 3 from treestands. It was fine in all situations.

Used my Micro all this season and took 3 deer and a bison with it. It was fine too.

Both very accurate but the Vortex is definitely easier on the back.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
d_dial

Post by d_dial »

Think with all the issues I've been reading about with the newer style limbs I'm gonna be looking for an older wider bow. Thanks guys