New Member, New To Crossbows, Matrix Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

GMVT

New Member, New To Crossbows, Matrix Questions

Post by GMVT »

Greetings to everyone from Vermont. Starting this upcoming season, Vermont is allowing the use of crossbows for anyone over the age of 50, so I'm looking forward to getting back to something that a wiped out shoulder made me give up a few years ago...archery hunting. I have never so much as picked up a crossbow before, but after lurking here and researching online for awhile, I have settled on Excalibur for the brand I will buy for my first and only crossbow, I'm all about reliability and keeping things simple. So now I'm looking at the Matrix series. I understand the advantages of speed when comparing the 310, 330 and 355, but I also need to consider the draw weight. Is the 310 more than sufficient for deer? Is the draw weight really noticeable between the 3 models? And naturally I don't have a local dealer that I can visit, so I have to buy over the phone. Would love to hear from others in my situation (less than perfect shoulders) that deer hunt with their bows. I would like to keep draw weight to a minimum, but also don't want a bow that is less than suitable for the job. Any opinions appreciated.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
deerman41

Re: New Member, New To Crossbows, Matrix Questions

Post by deerman41 »

I have a matrix 330 with 220 lbs draw and love it. I like you have a bad shoulder cannot pull back regular bow. I can draw crossbow a couple of times no problem, but when sighting in I have to use a C2 crank. I'm also 74 years old. :D
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I'm 55 years old, reasonably good health, and the 330 / 355 are perfect. I would recommend the 330. Welcome aboard, and good luck!
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Welcome to the forum. I have an Axiom shoots about 290 fps and zips thou all the deer that I shot with it . Also have a 355 and my wife can cock it but not all day. For me I can cock it sitting down so it's not to bad . It really don't matter which one you get because one is never enough :D
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

If you looking for a Matrix bow the 330 would be just what you want . plenty good for deer and bear and will not set you back to far in the pocket book. JMO
W.M.
Squirrel

Post by Squirrel »

The best advice you could get is try it before you buy it. It has to feel right to you. If you don't have a local dealer you can visit, then buy it online ONLY from a place that has a good return policy in case you're not happy with it. Many online dealers won't allow a return after you assemble and fire it.
Matrix 355 w/Tact Zone
Vortex w/Varizone
deertrx

Post by deertrx »

Matrix 330 is an impressive bow! Going to be my next purchase 4 sure. :D Welcome to the world of crossbows!
deertrx
Brian
Matrix 380 Xtra " Sweets "
Leupold Crossbones
TT Matrix Hunter 2.5
Boo Strings Danny Millers Bumpers
18" BE Zombies, Slick Trick 150 xbow BH's
" She's a beaut Clark! "
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Welcome to the forum. Any Excal will do the job for hunting. So pick the draw weight that will give you the ability to shoot as much as you want to. The older Excal models have the lightest draw weight and are great starter bows. Much cheaper and more durable also. Happy shootin,
Hank
rattlerun

Post by rattlerun »

I know Vermont is next to New Hampshire, and Wyverns Creations is in Lee, New Hampshire.
Might be worth a call.
F250-2

Post by F250-2 »

Talk to Mike at Mr.O's in Derby. He is an Excalibur dealer, has
an indoor range, and can set you up. He and his buddies all shoot Excaliburs. I drove up to Cabela's in Maine and shot several different crossbows when I was shopping for one. I have had surgeries on both shoulders and my back. I shoot the Matrix 380 with no problem. I have taken 5 deer in the past two years with the set-up that Mike suggested. Welcome to the forum !!
GMVT

Post by GMVT »

F250-2 wrote:Talk to Mike at Mr.O's in Derby. He is an Excalibur dealer, has
an indoor range, and can set you up. He and his buddies all shoot Excaliburs. I drove up to Cabela's in Maine and shot several different crossbows when I was shopping for one. I have had surgeries on both shoulders and my back. I shoot the Matrix 380 with no problem. I have taken 5 deer in the past two years with the set-up that Mike suggested. Welcome to the forum !!
I'll check Mr. O's, will be worth the trip to get to shoot one before buying, I'm leaning towards the 330. Thanks for all the comments everyone.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

I've owned an Exomax, Micro 335 and now a Matrix 330. Based on ease of cocking the M330 wins hands down. Oh, and the 2 does I shot this weekend didn't seem to mind that it doesn't shoot as fast as some of the other Excalibur bows. :D :D :D :D
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

I don't have any physical ailments yet but I can't say enough good things about the Grizzly. It's 200lbs draw weight allows me to shoot it all day without fatigue and at just under 300 fps it is plenty of power for pass through shots on whitetail at normal shooting ranges. I shoot 20-40 yards usually while practicing but haven't had the need to take a shot over 25 yards. The price tag of the Grizzly package is a little less than the other matrix bows but it does not have any accessories included (Sound Suppression/ADF) that some of the other bows have stock. Welcome and good luck!
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

.....some mighty fine advice given by previous posters so I will not add my two cents other than the whole line of Excaliburs is available to you with the addition of the C2 crank....with that said as previous posters have said...the entire line will bring down a white tail...if you can get over to Wyverns or the other dealer it really comes down to what feels good to you when you pick it up...I know it is a big decision but would be well worth you spending the time now while you have it....Let us know what your decision is!

....Welcome aboard and look forward to you sticking around!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings