Predator Hunting Questions

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Predator Hunting Questions

Post by TheBig1 »

Ok, so now that deer season is over, and since I saw my first coyote while hunting in November, and also the fact that I can hunt them 24/7/365, I've kinda got the bug to hunt some.

I've messaged back and forth with Frank who has been a wealth of information but I still have questions to be answered and I don't want to keep bothering him. So, I've come to you good folks to hear how you do everything.

So my questions are:
What type/caliber gun do you use?
Electronic caller?
Mouth caller?
Where do you set an e-caller, next to or away?

Not only these questions but anything else for that matter. I literally want to hear the baby step version for a straight off the couch new coyote hunting guy.

Thank you in advance for your time.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
longbow joe

Re: Predator Hunting Questions

Post by longbow joe »

Dead bone caller (dicks) best luck in pa with rabbit in distress/use a quiver critter or some kinda movin somethin like it./ Some good camo especially a mask/ It might be overkill but i like my 10 guage remington auto loader with a patternmaster choke tube n t size hevishot.killed as far as 80 yards.just keep watchin all the preditor tv shows a wisconsin coyote is not much different from a new jersey or pa coyote. I lucked out 3 years ago n had a giant coyote n a giant red fox come in first time out........ then i was hooked i get most of em in evening hunts n early morning. Not much into the pitch black stuff.its very addicting.....lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Minnow

Post by Minnow »

Hello!
These are some great questions I'd like to hear the answer to as well as I'm also looking to get into some predator hunting and I believe their is no shortage of yotes out there. Specialized over on the cbn forum has a lot of info, but I've noticed a few ontarians here on this forum that have bagged some nice ones!
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Image[/URL] this is my biggest yote this year i used my wifes toyota sienna van and a goodyear all season
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
KS-Coyote

Post by KS-Coyote »

Hi Chad. I call a lot of coyotes and a few bobcats here in Kansas every fall and winter. My choice for calling rifles are 2 bolt action Remington 700s one in .204 ruger caliber and one in .243 Winchester caliber. I used mouth calls for a lot of years but a few years ago I bought a FoxPro crossfire electronic caller. I have probably 7 dozen different mouth calls but I usually only carry about 10 into the field at a time. To name some I use Dan Thompson calls, Primos randy Anderson calls, Ed Sceery calls, Haydels game calls and several others. If you want to shorten the learning curve on setups and calling I watch Calling all Coyotes videos made by Randy Anderson. I'm not saying i'm the best caller out there but what I do seems to work. Hope this helps. Erick
galamb

Post by galamb »

I hunt Yotes with a 223 shooting a 45 grain jacketed hollow point.
(around my way 22-250 seems to be the most popular and 243 is right up there as well). I chose the 223 because off the shelf ammo for it was cheaper than the others (also own a 243 that I use for deer).

I reload as well, but the low cost of 223 ammo makes it almost "not viable" to load it myself unless I want a premium bullet.

I use an electronic Cass Creek call - two units placed about 60 yards in front of me (about 60 yards between the two units) - both are remotely controlled by a single hand-held controller (lets you select the call - rabbit in distress etc and which unit the sound will come from).

I don't hunt fields - my hunting area is more bush with a few large clearings. I set up just inside the cover at the edge of the clearing with the units in the clearing itself.

I don't use decoys yet, but am considering them.

I figure, as a deer hunter, it's my responsibility to get rid of as many Yotes as possible, which are "alien" to my hunting area and are hindrance to the natural order.
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
artifact

Post by artifact »

Can't give much input, as I am a rookie myself!
Here are 2 excellent forums on predator hunting, "Predatormasters forum", and "FoxPro forum"
I think anyone that wants to get into coyote hunting should do a lot of searching and reading of the threads on "Predatormasters".
I have a FoxPro Shockwave, and A-Z of what's needed to hunt them, but haven't got out, don't need to go far because I shot one in my back yard!
From reading a ton of those threads, WIND, and stands, (how and where you set
up) are critical, WIND DIRECTION is absolutely critical, BTW-DID I MENTION WIND DIRECTION, crosswind being the best.
In answer to questions!
When/if I get out here's what I will be using:
788 Rem. - 22-250 for open shooting areas.
870 SP 12 ga. W/#4 buckshot and Carlsons Coyote Choke, for the thicker stuff.
FoxPro Shockwave.
Caller away by varying distance, depending on setup. (day) [due to them almost always trying to circle downwind of the caller]
Caller right by you (night)

Couple other things I would absolutely carry with.
Cushion or small seat, shooting sticks (I made my own), decoy (on e-caller, or simple as a couple of feathers on a stick), and a short piece of rope to put around the muzzle if you want to drag them out.
This is only a sampling of basics from what I have read those forums, tons and tons of other info. on there, then it becomes a hands on learning experience.
One thing you don't want to do is educate them, like call one in that circles you unseen and winds you. You may never call that coyote in again using that same call sound.
Hope this helps a little, but those forums are almost a must read for a beginner.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've had an unusual number of coyotes show up on my game cams this year (in OK and TX), and last week, I invested in a Foxpro Crossfire to start trying to thin the population. I've got a safe full of suitable rifles, but I'm planning to use my AR chambered in 17 HMR topped with a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14 scope.

Like the OP, I'm looking for advise/expertise on how to best set myself up for success.
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Joe, thanks Erick. Some good information.

Erick, I went on YouTube and looked that guy up. Seems all of his videos are under Primos' Hunting page so I subscribed to it so I could watch the videos.

Erick, so obviously you use both mouth and e-caller together I'm sure. Since I'm beginning should I spend money right now on an e-caller or just stick with mouth calls?

Thanks again guys. I'm currently looking at a Savage Axis XP Camo Compact 243.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
KS-Coyote

Post by KS-Coyote »

If you don't want to invest in an e-caller right now its not necessary. Like I was telling you I started using mouth calls and with patience and practice I did fairly well and I'm sure you will to. If you can use open reed howlers and learn a few howls it will just double your chances! You can also buy Randys calling all coyotes videos on his website. He has a video with Primos called Mastering the Art of predator hunting that will go over everything you probably want to know about calling predators. Good luck. Erick
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Thanks Erick. I was going to PM you but realized that you don't have enough posts yet to receive or send messages. Where are you from in Kansas? I was stationed at Ft. Riley and still have some friends from Junction City and Salina.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
KS-Coyote

Post by KS-Coyote »

Chad I live in Junction City Ks. I'm wondering how many posts I need to private message? I have several photos of my predator calling and hunting but I'm not sure how to post them on here. I could give you my email address if you want. Erick
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Erick, I believe that you need 10 posts to be able to PM. If you live in JC we should definitely talk. Lol

As for pics, you need a Photobucket account.
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
Ramcat 100gr

NRA Lifetime Member
UPSMAN

Post by UPSMAN »

My yote equipment consists of a Tikka T3 22-250 and a Leupold 3x9 gold ring scope. Hornady 50 grain moly coated bullet.I use only an E caller,a Foxpro Shockwave. The main reason I like E callers is that you can put the caller out away from your blind or stand. It takes the focus off of your location and gives you more time to get ready for the shot. I usually hunt food plots and open oak bottoms.
2015 Matrix 380 Blackout (The Black Pearl)
Zombie Slayers
Muzzy Trocar-Bad to the Bone
Boo String
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I'm very happy with a Primos mouth call... I do however use a Foxpro electronic remote control call much more. I'm presently using the new "Inferno" model...it's loud enough for the wide open spaces. It comes with 75 pre recorded "actual" animal calls, with room for downloading over 100 more , while being very lightweight and small enough to fit in a Med.large camo coat side pocket.

I'm in complete camo, includuing face and hands which are an easy give away... :shock:

I depend on light weight CZ model 527 in 223 with a 3x9 older Leupold with an Adustable Objective, or my slightly heavier "V-Target" heavy barrel Bushmaster in 556 but loaded to 223 specs as both rifles are loaded up with 50 and 55 grain Hornady V Max bullets, which I hand load, taking extreme measures to weigh each load exactly using Varget powder. BTW, both the 223 and 556 can be used in the Bushmaster. However, 556 is not reccommennd for most non-AR styled rifles due to it's increased chamber pressure.

All of my 7 different "Varmint Rifles" are outfitted with Harris bi-pods with sufficient height to allow a very solid rest while sitting, as well as low enough to be used in the prone position.

For very windy conditions I also have an extremely accurate CZ 550 in 243 cal while using both 75 and 85 gn Holow points. I have found the 58 gn V Max @ 4200 fps can be very destructive to hides therefore it's seldom my choice for coyotes, but great for rock chucks at extreme range on windy days.

I prefer this set up for these 2 rifles chambered for 223 for their extreme accuracy as well as their light weight. I also use these loads in a Heavy Barrell Rem, Police Tacticle with a Leupold 6 1/2 x 20 which I feel is too heavy for this type use. I often, while on foot cover large areas of Sage brush broken up by lava in most areas of Eastern Washington, which could be considered "High Desert" by most.

I do especially like Feb and March as that is when many large Cattle ranches have their yearly calf birthing taking place. Coyotes are definately present during this time period in the areas I hunt.

I incorporate a nice set of Leupold Gold-ring 8x42 binoculars as my primary means of finding them, as they can approach from a several hundred yards away, thru at times, very high sage brush.. I try to set up on a higher area and place the call below and up wind or accross the wind from areas I expect them to respond from.
My call is outfitted with a mechanical waving attractor which I can control thru the remote and serves to distract them from the caller to the call when activated.

As a new caller, I would reccomend you search u-tube and watch a video or two on skinning with "high pressure air" if your intending to sale your hides.

I hope some of this was valuable in your search of desert dogs. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier