Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderators: Bill T, Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phil W

Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Post by Phil W » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:06 pm

I managed to harvest two deer and a hog with my new Matrix 355 this winter. Now I would like to take a Turkey or two this spring with it. Any suggestions on what broad head I should use? I'm currently shooting 150 gr Boltcutters on Diablo bolts and getting excellent accuracy. Should I just hunt Turkeys with these Boltcutters since I already have them and crossbow is sighted in with them or do I really need the special type heads for Turkeys?

Boo

Re: Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Post by Boo » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:15 pm

Hit them right with any broadhead you use for deer and they won't go far. A Scorpio Small Game Getter helps a lot.
If there are no dogs in heaven then I want to go where they went. Will Rogers
Si vis pacem, para bellum
The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something
Boocustomstrings.com

hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:42 am

I have taken a few with the crossbow I use something like a wasp jakx or nap gobbler getters I like my arrow to slow down a little and open a good size hole I found out turkeys don't drip a lot of blood the feathers asorb it when wounded , Also it is where you hit the turkey if broadside aim for the wing butt , Facing you just above the beard ,Facing away just below the fan . They may go a little ways but the ones I shot with the crossbow didn't go anywhere .

longbow joe

Post by longbow joe » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:37 am

The last 3 turkeys i killed were with 125 grain schwackers i think there 2n a half inch cut cut worked flawlessly on bodyshots. The bolt cutters a great head but in my opinion you need a crazy large cut to anchor a bird.i normally use the spitfire for deer but for some reason chose the swhacker for birds n it works. A LUMINATED NOCK WILL REALLY AID IN TURKEY HUNTING ALSO. Good luck. Lbj
Micro 335 camo crossbones /matrix 330 nikon bolt /vixen ll / offspring with a micro stock crossbones/ matrix 355 with a micro stock crossbones/ metal ibex (adopted manco morto)/Phoenix/ trigger tec's /xacts/super freak ex's/ spitfires/zombies

Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr » Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:20 am

I have shot a number of turkeys with my excal all with my 100 grain thunderheads which is my deer etc head. Like was posted its shot placement that is important. I aim for the base of the neck. If you hit them they don't go far, if you miss its usually a clean miss. There are lots of videos out there that show shot placement ! If it were me I wouldn't go out and buy a special head just shoot what you are confident with.

W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:07 pm

the Magnus Bull Head . neck shots only . set up for a 10yd. shot and your done .
works for me every time . you miss or you get.
W.M.

retrieverman

Post by retrieverman » Mon Jan 11, 2016 6:29 pm

I've hunted turkeys for years but only killed two, and both just happen to be with a crossbow. I used 150 gr Boltcutters for both, and they worked great.

mr meat

Post by mr meat » Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:44 pm

I have used Wasp hammer sst,s, Nap gobbler getters, swhackers and Nap FOC,s the only one that i don,t think i would use again would be the FOC as the 3 inch cut really riped him apart! Think its not what broadhead you use its all about shot placement with a turkey.You want him to go down quick!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen

Tom

Post by Tom » Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:52 pm

mr meat wrote:I have used Wasp hammer sst,s, Nap gobbler getters, swhackers and Nap FOC,s the only one that i don,t think i would use again would be the FOC as the 3 inch cut really riped him apart! Think its not what broadhead you use its all about shot placement with a turkey.You want him to go down quick!!
Boo wrote:Hit them right with any broadhead you use for deer and they won't go far. A Scorpio Small Game Getter helps a lot.
As was stated above, shot placement is most important. If you are happy with the head you use for deer, and are very consistent with accuracy, then I would use it.

But I would do as Don suggests, add a Scorpio to the arrow shaft to help stop pass through. Not sure that it will stop the arrow inside the turkey with the 355, but if not, it will deliver a lot more of the arrow KE into the turkey making it easier to recover.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]

Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 10:43 pm

I took a nice tom this season with the 150 gr Excal Bolt cutter.
Shot him at 35 yards DRT