Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Phil W

Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Post by Phil W »

I managed to harvest two deer and a hog with my new Matrix 355 this winter. Now I would like to take a Turkey or two this spring with it. Any suggestions on what broad head I should use? I'm currently shooting 150 gr Boltcutters on Diablo bolts and getting excellent accuracy. Should I just hunt Turkeys with these Boltcutters since I already have them and crossbow is sighted in with them or do I really need the special type heads for Turkeys?
Boo

Re: Turkey Hunting With Crossbow

Post by Boo »

Hit them right with any broadhead you use for deer and they won't go far. A Scorpio Small Game Getter helps a lot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

I have taken a few with the crossbow I use something like a wasp jakx or nap gobbler getters I like my arrow to slow down a little and open a good size hole I found out turkeys don't drip a lot of blood the feathers asorb it when wounded , Also it is where you hit the turkey if broadside aim for the wing butt , Facing you just above the beard ,Facing away just below the fan . They may go a little ways but the ones I shot with the crossbow didn't go anywhere .
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

The last 3 turkeys i killed were with 125 grain schwackers i think there 2n a half inch cut cut worked flawlessly on bodyshots. The bolt cutters a great head but in my opinion you need a crazy large cut to anchor a bird.i normally use the spitfire for deer but for some reason chose the swhacker for birds n it works. A LUMINATED NOCK WILL REALLY AID IN TURKEY HUNTING ALSO. Good luck. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have shot a number of turkeys with my excal all with my 100 grain thunderheads which is my deer etc head. Like was posted its shot placement that is important. I aim for the base of the neck. If you hit them they don't go far, if you miss its usually a clean miss. There are lots of videos out there that show shot placement ! If it were me I wouldn't go out and buy a special head just shoot what you are confident with.
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

the Magnus Bull Head . neck shots only . set up for a 10yd. shot and your done .
works for me every time . you miss or you get.
W.M.
retrieverman

Post by retrieverman »

I've hunted turkeys for years but only killed two, and both just happen to be with a crossbow. I used 150 gr Boltcutters for both, and they worked great.
mr meat

Post by mr meat »

I have used Wasp hammer sst,s, Nap gobbler getters, swhackers and Nap FOC,s the only one that i don,t think i would use again would be the FOC as the 3 inch cut really riped him apart! Think its not what broadhead you use its all about shot placement with a turkey.You want him to go down quick!!
vixen 11
exocet 175 with Aging custom stock #27
Exocet 175
exocet 200

matrix 355
Micro Camo 335
Micro Nightmare 335
380 Lynx
BJ custom arrows
Boo string on vixen
Tom

Post by Tom »

mr meat wrote:I have used Wasp hammer sst,s, Nap gobbler getters, swhackers and Nap FOC,s the only one that i don,t think i would use again would be the FOC as the 3 inch cut really riped him apart! Think its not what broadhead you use its all about shot placement with a turkey.You want him to go down quick!!
Boo wrote:Hit them right with any broadhead you use for deer and they won't go far. A Scorpio Small Game Getter helps a lot.
As was stated above, shot placement is most important. If you are happy with the head you use for deer, and are very consistent with accuracy, then I would use it.

But I would do as Don suggests, add a Scorpio to the arrow shaft to help stop pass through. Not sure that it will stop the arrow inside the turkey with the 355, but if not, it will deliver a lot more of the arrow KE into the turkey making it easier to recover.

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]
Sooner44

Post by Sooner44 »

I took a nice tom this season with the 150 gr Excal Bolt cutter.
Shot him at 35 yards DRT