Training on large distances.

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Troubleshooter

Training on large distances.

Post by Troubleshooter »

Maybe it sounds a littlebit crazy for the most of you over here, but i only(!) shoot crossbow on targets and especially like the fun of shooting on large distances.

So, i don't hunt with it. In fact: i can't shoot a deer or whatever, because i'm to weakharted for that. Next to this: I like eating meat and respect all guys who like to shoot on animals for a nice meal.

Back to the subject: are here also some other guys - who like to practice / shooting on large distances? I'm curious about the results of the modern crosbows of today..

On youtube you can find some uploads shooting a balloon on 300 yards (M 380) and 330 yard (M 405)

If my scope, M 380 and I are having a good day i shoot 5 inch groupings on 100 yards and are now training on 150 yards. If i can get good groupings on this distance i will try to pull it out to 200 yards. (i do also steps between these distances)

So, I was just wondering: do people here also do long distance shooting / which bow / which distances / which results.
Last edited by Troubleshooter on Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheBig1

Re: Training on large distances.

Post by TheBig1 »

It's ok not to hunt, at least you have the guts to say why and the respect to understand why those of us who do it, love it.

With that being said, I too enjoy shooting at long distances. It's fun and to me it's just playing around and having fun, I'm sure just like you. It's a break from the norm and a challenge.

I shoot a Matrix Grizzly with a custom Flemish string, Hawke XB30 scope, and about 430gr Spynal Tapps. I've shot out to 110 yards. Now I haven't done it much, although I'd love to do it more. Again, it's fun and a break from the norm. My groups aren't anywhere near as good as yours but as long as I can keep it within the confines of my 16x16 Block target and not destroy arrows I'm happy. I'm sure that with more practice and such that I'd be able to close those groups in tighter.

I've seen those videos also, they're pretty cool!

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

It's all in practice, practice. There's guys who shoot long bows and recurves at that distance instinctively. It appears they are aiming at the sky just to get that arrow that distance.( No sights).now that's amazing! But not as consistent as the compound guys doing it with sights. Soooo much easier with a crossbows with a scope to do it. It's alot of practice, knowing your equipment, the conditions. Fun for sure. But alot of skill.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
GMVT

Post by GMVT »

Troubleshooter wrote: So, i don't hunt with it. In fact: i can't shoot a deer or whatever, because i'm to weakharted for that. Next to this: I like eating meat and respect all guys who like to shoot on animals for a nice meal.
Oh if only everyone had your live and let live attitude. Lots of people shoot just for the fun of shooting and have no interest in hunting...long guns, hand guns, bows, whatever. It benefits all of us, the more the merrier. And I know when I get my first crossbow I'll be flinging as far as I can to see how far it can go and still hit the broad side of a barn.
"Deer Are Where You Find Them"
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

100 yards just for fun is about as far as I have shot. I will say that is with the 380 and it is quite capable of less than 2.5" groups,, but I find if you really want see what any of these bows are truly capable of you need some specialty items. I never think of any crossbow as a an extended archery range shooting machine for hunting!

The first thing is the very best matched for weight, with .001" straight arrows that are indexed and matched for minimum spine. Once you do this with a bow that is in proper spec, the single most important item to shoot small groups is "WIND FLAGS", I can't stress how important shooting in the EXACT same conditions every shot is to achieving pinpoint accuracy. Even in light and variable wind at 50 yards it plays a big part on accuracy, and at 100 yards it can and will play havoc on your groups. There is no way you can imagine How significant, a light wind is to consistency when shooting for extreme accuracy.

I like flags set at 20 or 25 yard intervals, and starting 10 yards in front of me. This 10 yard flag can have more effect than any other as it is what determines how your arrow starts its path to the distant target. The reason you need these flags at different locations is the wind "USUALLY" will be blowing different directions at different distances. Without multiple "windicators" you simply have no idea where your shot is being affected. Many think it is what they feel hitting them where they are standing, and many times it is the exact opposite at every location between them and the target.

You will never see any Benchrest shooter win any competition without using wind flags,, it can't happen, the ones using and reading the wind the same for every shot will always prevail. If it means that much @ 100 yards with a center fore rifle,,,, you can't imagine the significance it has on a projectile that catches 20 or 30 times the wind, for over 1 second while traveling to the same destination!!

The last thing I will say, is that if anyone would try shooting this way at ranges over 50 yards, or even 40, they would see just how and why taking shots at game animals at ranges 40 or 50 yards for most hunters is so irresponsible,,, most don't have a clue what the elements play on their shots.

Good luck and enjoy you archery equipment and have fun, but for those of us that do hunt with them,,, please keep it responsible!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

All thanks for giving such a nice reaction and information.

I forgot: i'm shooting with firebolts & 150 grain fieldpoints. If find the 20 inch better then the 18 inch diablo, when looking to accuracy.

Seems not to be a lot of people on this forum who likes to shoot on large distances.
SEW

Post by SEW »

I agree totally with Wildcatter. I entered the benchrest world for a year just to become a better long range, varmint hunter. Going thru National Benchrest School (IBS) and individual training with Tony Boyer helped shooting skills.
I've applied the same with my xbow shooting. One important factor is having a totally consistent firearm (lock timing, lowest std dev's, etc). This is where a recurve excels over most compounds.
Another is a stable platform : shooting table, rest(Hart windage adjustable, #13 Protector), comfortable, unstrained seating.
Arrows: moderate weight or greater, adequate stabilization but no more (helical not needed for field points), no more FOC than needed (more than needed just causes more drop) , enough FOC or groups open up. Can't get too much spine. Very few of us can make arrows that compete with the arrow masters. Use the best components, stiffest vanes, only as much FOC and offset as needed, spine index, etc.
Power: faster is generally better. Same in benchrest. My M405 is every bit as accurate as my M380 .
Wind flags: who shoots benchrest and long range w/o them?
Finally, I've found the wider the limb on Excals, the more accurate. This is out to 80 yds: farthest I've shot with them. My overly acuratized and stabilized (Ktech stabilizer, Dr Stirrup, other) Matrix are not as accurate. However, in a virtual no wind situation, I can keep 1 1/2" 3-shot groups at 100 yds with both 380 & 405.
Good luck in your endeavor.
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

I've never shot any further then 50 yards or so off a rest. I've only done it a couple times and it was a lot of fun and I was very pleased with the accuracy of my Vortex. I don't have much of an interest in shooting further than that but I like hearing about it from others that do and I like seeing pics of the tight groups at those distances. It always amazes me.

Nothing wrong with not hunting and not being able to take an animals life. It is not for everyone and is not something I take lightly. I always give thanks to the deer that has fallen to my arrow after I have taken it's life. It's a very big deal to me for sure. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
Dash

Post by Dash »

I used to have a bit of fun playing with distance shooting, but I haven't done it for a while now. Its good to push the extremes just to see whats possible with an excal. After watching compound archers shoot in a 180 meter clout competition, I decided to try it with an equinox . Of course the rail/riser was in the way when aiming up high enough to reach that distance, so I come up with my own version of a compound mirror box to suit a crossbow and allow aiming at targets to 540 meters off memory, which is the furtherest my excal would go on the salt flats. It was crude, and not pretty looking, but within a dozen shots to tune the mirrors in I was able to regularly hit the 1 foot wide foam clout at 180 meters. It sat on the riser and the scope crosshairs looked directly into it. No scope adjustment needed, only mirror adjustment. There may be an old pic with details from my previous post here, I'm having trouble attaching it right now.
Of course at any long distance your extremely susceptible to the wind, but I was shocked at the grouping accuracy overall on a still day.