Air Brakes Installation problems!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

TheBig1

Re: Air Brakes Installation problems!

Post by TheBig1 »

If you're using the Allen wrench that came with it that's why you stripped them.

I had mine installed at my local shop by the Excal rep and when he first tried all he did was curse Excalibur for the crappy wrench. Luckily my shop had a set of Two handles and he got the job done.

Good luck Brother.
Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The dreaded limb bolt removal. Makes me cringe!! :(

Step away from the job & have a drink to relax a bit... :)

With the one that is out you will need to spin the limb strap over & the other one will come out easier.

I have had to dremel a slot in the bolts & use a slot screw driver to loosen them.

I hope they sent you some spare screws. If not call Dawn @ Excalibur customer service & she will send you out another set.

Good luck & hope it works out for you.
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
xbowhunter10

Post by xbowhunter10 »

I have done this more than to remove a stripped Allan head screw . I take my Dremel tool with the one of little cutting discs and just cut a slot right into the head of the screw big enough to get a good sized flat screwdriver into . Then it should turn right out . Its worked every time for me . Good luck
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Cut the heads off and grab the studs with vice grips and spin them out ,,,
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I use a small set of vice grips with the narrower jaws on the shank of the bolt while using any quality allen wrench and turn them both at the same time, it only takes the slightest of a turn and they will easily come out. I have never had to slot or cut the heads off the button head bolts, and have had the limbs off of all my Excalibur bows more than once. You just need the smaller vice grips to fit between the riser and the strap,,,, easy peasy,,,,, :wink:

Being in the U.S. if you need new bolts call Danny Miller at Horizontal Archery, he will take care of you,,, he is MR Excalibur in the U.S., right here in southern Ohio!! Great guy,,, and really knows how to take care of Excalibur owners!!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
xbowhunter10

Post by xbowhunter10 »

My Air-Brakes came with the longer shoulder screws included .
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Hi All!

Yes, we are listening. We remove more recoil plate shoulder bolts than anybody on the planet and are well aware of the challenges of removing some of them. The best way to remove them is to start with the bolts closer to the stirrup, for some reason they come out easier. If you get one out you can swing the plate over and then remove the limb. The stubborn bolts can then be removed with vise grips. We also use the Dremel tool method of cutting a slot in the head and remove it with a slot screw driver when they are really stubborn.

We are investigating alternative fasteners.

Peter
TheBig1

Post by TheBig1 »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Hi All!

Yes, we are listening. We remove more recoil plate shoulder bolts than anybody on the planet and are well aware of the challenges of removing some of them. The best way to remove them is to start with the bolts closer to the stirrup, for some reason they come out easier. If you get one out you can swing the plate over and then remove the limb. The stubborn bolts can then be removed with vise grips. We also use the Dremel tool method of cutting a slot in the head and remove it with a slot screw driver when they are really stubborn.

Peter
Just another reason as to why I think we all love Excaliburs. They watch and listen to what you homegrown gurus have to say about maintenance. My hat's off to both sides.

Chad
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Excalibur Marketing Dude
Site Admin

Post by Excalibur Marketing Dude »

Peter Is there any reason to not go to Fastenal and buy a replacement bolt for the included bolt with the rounded head? I want something I can get a socket on so I don't ever have to go through this again.
There is no problem doing this if you wish. The size is 10-32 x 1" for Matrix models without Air Brakes. Of course, Air Brakes come with new longer shoulder bolts.

Peter
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Excalibur Marketing Dude wrote:Hi All!

Yes, we are listening. We remove more recoil plate shoulder bolts than anybody on the planet and are well aware of the challenges of removing some of them.

Peter
I have had very good results with the Titanium fastener kits being offered by ti64. Each fastener is improved over the OEM counterpart and rust proof and strip resistant to boot. An ancillary advantage is the lightweight properties of titanium. Scorpyds have Ti fastener kits standard, maybe it's time for Excal to step up?
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

Yes, after cleaning the threads with a degreaser. The folks at Ti tell you to use moly,,, don't do it. I spke with the tec's at loctite, and the Blue loctite will do the same thing and lube the threads at the same time setup the plastic compound when it dries to keep them tight, and will keep the fasteners from gaulding!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

wildcatter wrote:Yes, after cleaning the threads with a degreaser. The folks at Ti tell you to use moly,,, don't do it. I spke with the tec's at loctite, and the Blue loctite will do the same thing and lube the threads at the same time setup the plastic compound when it dries to keep them tight, and will keep the fasteners from gaulding!
I have used both blue Loktite and Moly and have had zero issues with either product.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
CplLou

Post by CplLou »

I had the same problem ! Solved it by taking a T-15 bit and tapping it into the screw head with a hammer. Came right out !
Good luck !
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Same thing happened on my 350le. Stirrup bolts came out after some careful torquing and was able to take off the limbs giving enough room to fit vise grips on the remaining 2 stripped heads.

Seems like the new bolts included with the air brakes have just as shallow of a head as the previous bolts. Hopefully they hold up to a removal if the time comes.

Would be nice to have some sturdier hardware on something that clearly is needed to be very strong.

Just my two cents!
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The last set of limb strap bolts on my 2 micro bows came out pretty easy. I now use a socket with the Allen key head. I give each bolt / socket a good smack with a hammer before I even attempt to turn them....
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.