BH w/REDS, what am I doing wrong?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Coon Gravy

BH w/REDS, what am I doing wrong?

Post by Coon Gravy »

Ok I give up... help me please.
My brace height seems too low when I get the string down to the REDS where I think it should be. Am I too close too the REDS? I can't seem to get the best of both worlds, either I'm shallow on BH or I'm 1/2" off the REDS. The first is a 355 with the correct REDS, the second is a Grizzly with the wrong ones (I just brought them out as far as possible and loctite'd the set screws). So far they haven't moved or been any trouble.
I have been hunting with the Grizzly at a 1" BH where it is in the image. I haven't range shot it a ton during the season, just enough to keep it sighted. The 355 is new to me and haven't had time to shoot it at all yet, but it's the same (about 1/4" too shallow from recommended). Thanks for your thoughts!

Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
8ptbuk

Re: BH w/REDS, what am I doing wrong?

Post by 8ptbuk »

I don't see anything wrong with the BH on your 355. Looks like its setting on 3/4" which is fine . The measurement off the joint is the most important .
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I agree with 8pt. Is that the string material I can see through the serving on the orange served string?
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

if i'm not mistaken the grizz. and the 355 Matrix take two different bumper holders. check with others first.
W.M.
Coon Gravy

Post by Coon Gravy »

Well I really and truly wasn't trying to pull anyone's chain on this, I just didn't realize that the BH range was so broad. The manual says 0.5-1" for the 355 and the Grizzly has a line scribed on the rail at 1.5" but I doubt that 1" BH is going to be a huge issue. I was just overthinking it I guess.

@8ptbuk - Thanks for the help
@nchunterkw - That is a string that came with the bow when I purchased it. I think it's just dirty/oily. The serving is a little worn but it's not separated or broken. I will probably retire it to a dedicated back up so it doesn't score the rail and only use it if I have nothing else.
@W.Miguire - They do use a different bumper holder but I'm an idiot and bought the wrong ones. Just trying to make due with them. Should probably just eat it and get some that fit from DM.

Thank you all for the input.
Grizzly & 355
Keystone & Copenhagen
Go Big Red!
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Had the same issue. The #7008 REDS are the proper grizzly bumpers. I returned the wrong ones(#7006) and got the proper ones. Big difference
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

ifen you got them to work for you , as in your pics. make up a spacer for a positive lock . because there is a lot of pressure on the bumpers when the string hits them. just a thought.
W.M.