hunting use for drones?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

colouredchameleon

Re: hunting use for drones?

Post by colouredchameleon »

A question I tried to get answer too this past hunting season and everything I have read to date indicates to do so here in Ontario it is illegal.

The drone I have I fear my be a little too noisy to do so any ways.
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

I shot my biggest buck ever last year my 13 pointer.l knew he was dead ..good shot but he ran in this giant 1000 yard by 1000 yard overgrown field i found him ...with great dificulty and a lot a help of friends but i sure think a drone woulda helped in the recovery .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

we got alot of freedom here in arkansas but they've had that sewed up for years . . .
You may not use electronic tracking or telemetry equipment to locate wildlife.
You may not use computer-assisted hunting equipment.

i don't want to test WHAT a electronic device is :shock:

-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

It is a no go for us here in Ontario.
I found a small drone, sat in the palm of your hand, it's job was simply to buzz around over you, take random photos and video of your activity. Be it surfing, mountain biking or hunting.. You can not see what it is seeing until you get home, it locks in to your phone and follows it. I take a tremendous amount of photos while we hunt, I thought it would give a nice new perspective.
Our MNR information line said it was fine, actually thought it was a good idea. But I went to my local CO just to verify, and he said that under no circumstances would it be legal.
I still want a better one, just to go have a look in the fields while I sit on my front porch, 3 of 4 of my stands are within a kilometer of my house. Still plan to pursue that.
I suspect we are going to see the use of those cracked down on, for many reasons anyways. A member here brought one to my home during the summer, a good one, everything about it was exciting!
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Can't even use phones or radio to communicate re game movements...as Babe Winkelman found out.

"Babe Winkelman, a well-known Brainerd area angler and host of his own television fishing show, and two other Brainerd area residents have been cited for unlawfully attempting to take game animals with the use of two-way radios.

The citations were issued in November near Perham in Otter Tail County, where Winkelman owns land. Dennis Lang, DNR conservation officer, said he issued the citations after getting complaints from two local landowners who allegedly heard Winkelman converse on two-way radios with other members of his hunting party, including his wife, Kris Winkelman, and friend, Mike Martin."
Last edited by Cossack on Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
hockeyfodder

Post by hockeyfodder »

longbow joe wrote:I shot my biggest buck ever last year my 13 pointer.l knew he was dead ..good shot but he ran in this giant 1000 yard by 1000 yard overgrown field i found him ...with great dificulty and a lot a help of friends but i sure think a drone woulda helped in the recovery .
This is a great example of why it would be good to permit the use in the search for downed game. I suppose there would be some people that would take advantage of it if it were permitted though. HF
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

Good article about this in Ontario Outdoors, Dec 2015 issue I believe.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

Pydpiper wrote:It is a no go for us here in Ontario.
I found a small drone, sat in the palm of your hand, it's job was simply to buzz around over you, take random photos and video of your activity. Be it surfing, mountain biking or hunting.. You can not see what it is seeing until you get home, it locks in to your phone and follows it. I take a tremendous amount of photos while we hunt, I thought it would give a nice new perspective.
Our MNR information line said it was fine, actually thought it was a good idea. But I went to my local CO just to verify, and he said that under no circumstances would it be legal.
I still want a better one, just to go have a look in the fields while I sit on my front porch, 3 of 4 of my stands are within a kilometer of my house. Still plan to pursue that.
I suspect we are going to see the use of those cracked down on, for many reasons anyways. A member here brought one to my home during the summer, a good one, everything about it was exciting!
There is a article on drones and hunting in the Nov-Dec issue of Ontario Out of Doors Magazine. All your answers to hunting with drones are in that article
rein1

Post by rein1 »

Cossack wrote:Can't even use phones or radio to communicate re game movements...as Babe Winkelman fond out.

"Babe Winkelman, a well-known Brainerd area angler and host of his own television fishing show, and two other Brainerd area residents have been cited for unlawfully attempting to take game animals with the use of two-way radios.

The citations were issued in November near Perham in Otter Tail County, where Winkelman owns land. Dennis Lang, DNR conservation officer, said he issued the citations after getting complaints from two local landowners who allegedly heard Winkelman converse on two-way radios with other members of his hunting party, including his wife, Kris Winkelman, and friend, Mike Martin."
Babe isn't the only tv host hunter who pushes the law ,,
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

My first thoughts were it is unethical. After some pondering if they would treat it the same as plane fly overs and you hunt the following day I guess it is something to consider. Personally it to me it takes away from the scouting hunting aspect of the sport. IMHO>
Pydpiper

Post by Pydpiper »

agingcrossbower wrote:My first thoughts were it is unethical. After some pondering if they would treat it the same as plane fly overs and you hunt the following day I guess it is something to consider. Personally it to me it takes away from the scouting hunting aspect of the sport. IMHO>
The drones in question don't have guns on them. Then it becomes a question of legalities. I have heard the same "not as good as my way" on every site that discusses crossbows and compounds. But then, I don't scout, I rely on luck.
If you are not willing to learn, nobody can help you, if you are willing, nobody can stop you.
A bowhunter with a passion for shooting firearms.
WMU 91
Boo string
agingcrossbower

Pydpiper wrote:
agingcrossbower wrote:My first thoughts were it is unethical. After some pondering if they would treat it the same as plane fly overs and you hunt the following day I guess it is something to consider. Personally it to me it takes away from the scouting hunting aspect of the sport. IMHO>
The drones in question don't have guns on them. Then it becomes a question of legalities. I have heard the same "not as good as my way" on every site that discusses crossbows and compounds. But then, I don't scout, I rely on luck.
I am just using the same logic as if you use a plane and spot an intended game animal but then have to wait till the next day to hunt it. I has a lot to do with fair chase. Said nothing about arming drones. And, it is not the "my way" argument at all. I just have a different opinion than yours. Its OK. :D
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Most i hear talking will shoot down first drone that flys by while hunting ..They should be unlawful at all times in woods that allow hunting.people are getting to lazy to go scout game and who wants these things flying around while we are enjoying woods scouting and hunting etc..What about your privacy in woods ,could they be following you taking pictures ..
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I hate drowns, I think they should be outlawed for anything! I say people should get of their lazy ass and on their feet and learn how to hunt the way hunting was supposed to be, and that aint from sitting on their ars and twisting knobs!

But they've screwed up everything else in this world, I don't suppose the world will be happy till everything that was once sacred is screwed up,,,,, :?
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
agingcrossbower

wildcatter wrote:I hate drowns, I think they should be outlawed for anything! I say people should get of their lazy ass and on their feet and learn how to hunt the way hunting was supposed to be, and that aint from sitting on their ars and twisting knobs!

But they've screwed up everything else in this world, I don't suppose the world will be happy till everything that was once sacred is screwed up,,,,, :?
I hate DROWNS to. One of the worst ways to die. :lol: :lol: :lol: It would make matters worse if a DRONE was watching me DROWN. :lol: :lol: :lol: