Targets

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Big Mike

Targets

Post by Big Mike »

I have a 380 and a "Block" crossbow target. I only practice with field points, but my 500 grain bolts go into the block so deeply that I have to pull them out from the back. This target is destroying the fletching on my bolts. I need a much better target, H-E-L-P ! :oops:
Minnow

Re: Targets

Post by Minnow »

Bag targets are much better for field points. I bought a block and found it very hard to remove the arrows when using field points. I made my own bag target out of a burlap sack and old clothes. You could buy a bag target ready to go or make your own. Also check out third hand archery target bags

http://thirdhandarchery.com/product.asp?PRODID=9
Ibex SMF
Zombies
Cheek rest
S5
Stock extender
Deaf jeff

Post by Deaf jeff »

Big Mike wrote:I have a 380 and a "Block" crossbow target. I only practice with field points, but my 500 grain bolts go into the block so deeply that I have to pull them out from the back. This target is destroying the fletching on my bolts. I need a much better target, H-E-L-P ! :oops:
I have the 355 and use a spiderweb target.. the arrows(390ish grains) penetrate about 5-6" and very easy removal. only use field points.
IN GOD WE TRUST
Jeff
animals are killed, crops are harvested
matrix 355
matrix 330
BE executioners and zombies, w/110 brass
100gr spitfire maxx
Boo strings
excaliber strings
Dagriz knife
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I have a spyderweb target and they're great but very expensive. I also have a rhinoblock for field points and broadheads but you need Danny Miller plier pullers to remove your arrows. I regularly use my third hand archery rag bag target and that gets my vote. I actually have three of them. They're about $30.00 are all but indestructible. I stuffed it with old clothes, towels, sheets, etc. It stops 500gr+ arrows from my 405 at point blank all day and two finger arrow removal. Just make sure you remove all buttons and zippers.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Wed Jan 20, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Winddrifter

Post by Winddrifter »

I use 20# bails of rags compressed rag. I rap them in duct tape, and place them in a burlap bag and seal it tight, make a great target.
Got mine at Princess Auto.....Canada. Auto supply stores should handle as well.
Cost is much less than store bought targets and last a long time.
At 20 yards they handle the arrows well, I have a Micro.
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Ragbags stuffed with cloths are good. Keep them covered and dry when not using and get years out of them. That's mostly what I shoot in my back yard. I have a lot of other targets and 3D animals that are gr8 but I don't shoot at the same one all the time, so they will last me for years. Only my Ragbag sits outside year round. I only shoot them myself because they cost me a lot of money all totaled up. I have a lot of scoring game boards as well. Find it gets boring shooting the same thing day after day. But that is just me. :lol:
Boo

Post by Boo »

I was talking to Jim Litmer who makes the Third Hand Rag Bag and he showed me a good trick to make his bags work better/longer. Instead of stuffing the clothing directly into the bag, put an industrial garbage bag in the Rag Bag first. Then over-stuff the plastic bag with clothing. When you're done put a shop vac nozzle and suck the air out of the bag and seal it. You can put more into the bag this way and end up with a more dense target.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Boo wrote:I was talking to Jim Litmer who makes the Third Hand Rag Bag and he showed me a good trick to make his bags work better/longer. Instead of stuffing the clothing directly into the bag, put an industrial garbage bag in the Rag Bag first. Then over-stuff the plastic bag with clothing. When you're done put a shop vac nozzle and suck the air out of the bag and seal it. You can put more into the bag this way and end up with a more dense target.
I like that. Will try that when I use my one new one I have left. I use an industrial garbage bag to cover mine. Used Tuck Tape to seal it around the wire that hangs it from my old treadmill frame.
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I had a block and it sucked after not much use arrows were going right through. I also did the stuffed bag thing cheap and works great on field points. This year I was hunting at a buddies place in Kentucky and was having some issues with my bow and had to sight it in. He had a Rinehart Targets 18-1 Portable Archery Target and it worked great with field points and broadheads. He said he has had it for about 3 years and just leaves it outside after 3 years it still looked pretty good. I stopped and bought one on the way home and i really like it. Only problem I find is you need to coat your arrow with wax like for 3d to make it easier to pull !
Boo

Post by Boo »

Timbrhuntr wrote: Only problem I find is you need to coat your arrow with wax like for 3d to make it easier to pull !
A Danny Miller arrow puller will make life so much better!
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Boo wrote:
Timbrhuntr wrote: Only problem I find is you need to coat your arrow with wax like for 3d to make it easier to pull !
A Danny Miller arrow puller will make life so much better!
GMac405 had arrows stuck in his 18-in-1 from his 405. As I mentioned, the day his Danny Miller plier pullers arrived I got the call saying 'I wish I had these right away!' :wink: .....couldn't agree more.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Rag bag targets for field points. Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads only. I have a Morrell Yellow Jacket Crossbow field point rag target I have been using for over 5 yrs. It's re-stuffed a few times but works great.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><