Arrow length

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Winddrifter

Arrow length

Post by Winddrifter »

I have a micro, does it matter what length arrows I shoot in it?
20 inch 22 inch or are the short arrows the only thing to use. 16 or 18 inch.
vixenmaster

Re: Arrow length

Post by vixenmaster »

Some ppl. go down to 15" some up to 20", so its all in what you want. They all will be accurate enuff after you work yer magic on them fer tick toters
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Boo

Post by Boo »

I keep mine short enough that my broadheads don't touch the ground when I lean my bow against something and long enough so when I put my foot in the stirrup, I can't lower the arrow into my foot.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Boo wrote:I keep mine short enough that my broadheads don't touch the ground when I lean my bow against something and long enough so when I put my foot in the stirrup, I can't lower the arrow into my foot.
That's a BIG X2!
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:
Boo wrote:I keep mine short enough that my broadheads don't touch the ground when I lean my bow against something and long enough so when I put my foot in the stirrup, I can't lower the arrow into my foot.
That's a BIG X2!
X3
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

My arrow maker rec 18 inch arrows on my micro 335...he uses 110 gr brass inserts and 100 gr points...
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

What Boo said. 15" to 16" will fit that bill in most cases. My experience is these shorter arrows hit very hard and get better penetration that something longer. If you go shorter make sure you have an adequate target so you don't bury arrows up to or past the fletching.

Love my Micro
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

deleted info..
Last edited by sproulman on Fri Jan 22, 2016 11:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
Honcho

Post by Honcho »

I ordered sone Spinal Tapps from Jerry at South Shore last week and he recommended 16.5" for the Micro. I went with his recommendation!

Post by newbie »

sproulman wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:What Boo said. 15" to 16" will fit that bill in most cases. My experience is these shorter arrows hit very hard and get better penetration that something longer. If you go shorter make sure you have an adequate target so you don't bury arrows up to or past the fletching.

Love my Micro
Some say go with 15 inch my arrow builder BORKHOLDER says go with 18..standard arrow for micro 335 is 16.5 inchs..So different views on what works...
All depends on your wants correct. If you dont mind the arrow sticking almost 2" beyond the stirrup, 18 will work!
Most guys dont like that and build their arrows for the type of broadheads they use to keep it within thw stirrup.
Any length with proper FOC will fly good depends what floats your boat :wink:
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I am by far not expert with crossbow.I also like idea of arrow being inside stirrup but after seeing test with 16.5 length and the 18 inch at 50 yards I just went with the person BORKHOLDER ARCHERY that was doing test and HE felt longer arrow was better than shorter one but I never take 50 yards shot anyhow
.I ordered a dozen arrows from him and I can use my 100 gr spitzers for hunting....
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

sproulman
for informational purposes only
many many factors determine arrow accuracy. For instance:
the static spine of the arrow (how stiff it is)
the dynamic spine of the arrow
where the spine is located relative to the rail
the fletching and how it is installed
FOC
what type of head is installed on the front (field pt. broadhead, etc)

When an arrow is fired, it flexes and so the pt. is off line compared to where you are aiming. Fletching acts to stabilize the arrow to bring it back on line. The amount of drag it produces determines the force with which it acts. Also, the location of the fletching relative to the CP (center of pressure) of the arrow determines the lever arm that force has to work with. The longer the lever arm the less force that is required to perform the same work. So longer arrows are a bit easier to stabilize. But that does not mean you can't properly stabilize shorter arrows etc.

Checking static spine so that a group of arrows all have a similar amount of flex, and having the fletching positioned so the arrows are all oriented on the rail with the spine in the same direction also goes a very long way towards producing very accurate arrows

And also having adequate FOC helps accuracy as well. Your comment that an 18" arrow has more FOC than a shorter arrow does not make too much sense. FOC is easily manipulated by varying the total upfront wt. By that I mean the wt. of the combination of insert and point.

Hope this helped a little bit. There is much you can learn here just by reading old posts, but also don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a myriad of guys on here that will certainly help you out. You want to learn about accurate arrows...several guys on here shoot sub 2" groups at 100yds. That's some serious accuracy.

Welcome to our obsession :D
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

Nice reply, nchunterkw
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

Hi5 wrote:Nice reply, nchunterkw
X2 :D
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:sproulman
for informational purposes only
many many factors determine arrow accuracy. For instance:
the static spine of the arrow (how stiff it is)
the dynamic spine of the arrow
where the spine is located relative to the rail
the fletching and how it is installed
FOC
what type of head is installed on the front (field pt. broadhead, etc)

When an arrow is fired, it flexes and so the pt. is off line compared to where you are aiming. Fletching acts to stabilize the arrow to bring it back on line. The amount of drag it produces determines the force with which it acts. Also, the location of the fletching relative to the CP (center of pressure) of the arrow determines the lever arm that force has to work with. The longer the lever arm the less force that is required to perform the same work. So longer arrows are a bit easier to stabilize. But that does not mean you can't properly stabilize shorter arrows etc.

Checking static spine so that a group of arrows all have a similar amount of flex, and having the fletching positioned so the arrows are all oriented on the rail with the spine in the same direction also goes a very long way towards producing very accurate arrows

And also having adequate FOC helps accuracy as well. Your comment that an 18" arrow has more FOC than a shorter arrow does not make too much sense. FOC is easily manipulated by varying the total upfront wt. By that I mean the wt. of the combination of insert and point.

Hope this helped a little bit. There is much you can learn here just by reading old posts, but also don't hesitate to ask questions. There are a myriad of guys on here that will certainly help you out. You want to learn about accurate arrows...several guys on here shoot sub 2" groups at 100yds. That's some serious accuracy.

Welcome to our obsession :D

I took FOC off my post..