New String

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

nchunterkw

Re: New String

Post by nchunterkw »

8ptbuk wrote:
nchunterkw wrote:To each his own....but with 2 widely different elasticities seems to me that 17% of that string will take on most of the stress. Lots of good 100% Dyneema options out there. Just one man's Real World opinion.
You use what you want and I'll use what I want ! Maybe you should actually try it before you give your opinion on it .
No need to get upset. Just giving and educated opinion as to why I do not want to use a blended material. I don't need to try it to see what happens. I've done my research and made my decision based on that. As I'm sure you have.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I used Force 10 long before anyone here, and it was great! I switched to other materials, and did a whole lot of shooting, and testing just as i did when i settled on Force 10. There is one string maker here that got a bunch of my D97, and another that got Force 10 when I swapped out to other materials. I can say this, there are a few guys here twisting magic, and the materials they choose work, PERIOD! Flemish Strings are the way to go, no matter what you here, the shot is softer, the loops are stronger, and that's that! The boys here making strings shoot them, sell them, and have a pretty darn good following for a reason, they work well! I have shot all of the makers here and think they all are excellent, I shoot mine the most, just like the other folks here that make them. If you ask each one what materials the use, and why, you will get several answers which are all correct based on what each maker likes, and don't like. Force 10, D97, BCY X, XS2, Astro Flight, you name it, we all probably tried it. What one maker likes best does not make it the best, just saying! I popped a Flemish on my Excalibur bows, and gave away the stock strings without ever shooting them, I'm committed, or maybe should be! :lol: :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

WELL SAID,Dan!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

MHO there is no bad string material. We all have our favorites n the Style the string is made. There are Factors involved that we think about n ponder over these diff materials. Myself i have very little D97 material left. I am not going to stock it anymore, my reasons are there are newer material blends that surpass it now in my opinion. It was great 12 yrs ago but progress happens. Of course wid the newer materials comes the higher spool costs, some are almost twice the price of D97 fer same spool size.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

vixenmaster wrote:MHO there is no bad string material. We all have our favorites n the Style the string is made. There are Factors involved that we think about n ponder over these diff materials. Myself i have very little D97 material left. I am not going to stock it anymore, my reasons are there are newer material blends that surpass it now in my opinion. It was great 12 yrs ago but progress happens. Of course wid the newer materials comes the higher spool costs, some are almost twice the price of D97 fer same spool size.
And that is no bunk Mike! :lol:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I'm sorry guys, but there IS a difference in string material. The difference is dyneema material and vectran material...and they have a very different property of elasticity. Dyneema has more elasticity than vectran. By elasticity I mean the ability of the material to stretch and then come back. Vectran has almost no elasticity. When it first came out it was thought to be the string material that would end all creep in compound bows and allow then to stay tuned better. Same with recurves. The problem was that minimal elasticity property caused damage to the bows because the string had no give and all the shock was absorbed by he bow. You will not find any 100% vectran string material anymore because of this. But you do find many blends of material, mainly dyneema and vectran in some blend. BCY and Brownell are probably the top two companies making material and they both make very similar products. Blends vary from 17% to 33% or so. There are also different types of dyneema, SK75, SK78, SK90 and these are used in different string materials but not blended. I choose to use a 100% dyneema product for my strings because of the different properties of the two materials. I feel that in a blended product the vectran will take more stress than the dyneema because it has less elasticity. While this may be ok on lower poundage bows, and for compounds etc., my personal opinion is that it is not OK for the newer higher poundage models as the stresses are increased. Of note, is that neither BCY nor Brownells recommends blended materials for crossbows and Excalibur outfits every Micro and Matrix with a 100% dyneema type string.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
Pintail

Post by Pintail »

nchunterkw wrote:I'm sorry guys, but there IS a difference in string material. The difference is dyneema material and vectran material...and they have a very different property of elasticity. Dyneema has more elasticity than vectran. By elasticity I mean the ability of the material to stretch and then come back. Vectran has almost no elasticity. When it first came out it was thought to be the string material that would end all creep in compound bows and allow then to stay tuned better. Same with recurves. The problem was that minimal elasticity property caused damage to the bows because the string had no give and all the shock was absorbed by he bow. You will not find any 100% vectran string material anymore because of this. But you do find many blends of material, mainly dyneema and vectran in some blend. BCY and Brownell are probably the top two companies making material and they both make very similar products. Blends vary from 17% to 33% or so. There are also different types of dyneema, SK75, SK78, SK90 and these are used in different string materials but not blended. I choose to use a 100% dyneema product for my strings because of the different properties of the two materials. I feel that in a blended product the vectran will take more stress than the dyneema because it has less elasticity. While this may be ok on lower poundage bows, and for compounds etc., my personal opinion is that it is not OK for the newer higher poundage models as the stresses are increased. Of note, is that neither BCY nor Brownells recommends blended materials for crossbows and Excalibur outfits every Micro and Matrix with a 100% dyneema type string.
I agree with your thought process but, you may be over emphasizing the stretch thing just a tad. When we talk about elasticity in a given product especially used on a crossbow, the give and take are extremely marginal. If you are worried about limb failure due to extreme shock, a heavier bolt may be in order?
Have crossbows will travel
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

I understand what you are saying...and I do shoot heavy bolts in general (I like around or slightly over 400gr for deer), but as a string maker you have no control over what your customer might shoot. Mostly I was just putting info out there on what the differences in string material are, because they are not all the same. Interesting to me that Brownell only produces 1 blended material - Xcel - which is no doubt to compete with BCYs 452X as they are both very similar and 452X is very popular in the vert compound world.
Keith

Micro 335 & 355
[email protected]
<{{{><
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Lets jus take a peek at the Vectran material in the BCY materials. 452x i would say longer limbed models. Its a 2/3 x 1/3 blend, the 1/3 bein the vectran. The BCY X has only a 6th of its material as vectran n certainly would be ok in the Matrix models. Mind you even tho the vectran isn't a shock absorber the Dyneema its blended with is! I would not use the 452X in makin strings fr Micro's, the BCY X seems to have a better outcome in much less limb damage. Keith i will say that BCY only lists 2 materials fer crossbows the D97 n Force 10. That doesn't mean the other materials are not good fer the crossbows, you jus need to adjust the strand count so the string will be on the safe side on poundage n longivity of the string. More strands be better than less in thin dia. materials. This is jus mho & i have done a few yrs worth of string makin n testin. I would rather error in the safety than speed!
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315