Waxing Yes or No, (not your bikini line)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

jparchery

Waxing Yes or No, (not your bikini line)

Post by jparchery »

Excalibur recommends waxing your serving every 40-50 shots, other crossbow company's ( ten point ) advise not to wax the serving. My question is what benefit does waxing the string serving provide? Does the wax get stuck on the claws of the trigger mechanism?
What do the fine string makers on this forum recommend?
nchunterkw

Re: Waxing Yes or No, (not your bikini line)

Post by nchunterkw »

Very light waxing of the serving when you wax the string with Dalton's String Wax. Wax the string with your hand, then rub what is left onto the serving. Less is more in this case.
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Boo

Post by Boo »

The wax is for the string fibers under the serving. Without question, the strand to strand/filament to filiment friction is the highest there. If a string is going to break, it will be at or under the serving. An amazingly small amount of wax is needed. You can slather the serving with string lube and let it sit over night to be sucked into the serving and string. But, remove what you see on the serving. It is the lube in the serving that you want. It is not there to lubricate the friction between the serving and the deck of the mainframe. So how much do you put on? Just dab or kiss the serving at and around the center and rub. Keep rubbing until all you see is a wet look (get your mind out of the gutter guys) with nothing on the surface of the serving. You can put all you want on the string when it looks dry or fuzzy, it will eventually and harmlessly get shot off. Loops are important as well.
A well lubricated serving will actually not need more wax during a shooting session. Ususally all that you need to do is rub the serving to get it warm and the lube will redistribute itself.
Picture grabbing a bunch of straw at each end and try to bend them in the middle. What the straws want to do on the inside of the bend is to stick out of your hands. The ends on the outside of the bend want to get drawn inwards. That is where the friction is and again, it is the highest in the center where the latches cause a kink.
Again, a very small amount of wax is needed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

I have had the best success with scorpion cam and serving lube.
very expensive...does anyone know what is in it?
seems to penetrate very well
norm
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

Boo wrote:The wax is for the string fibers under the serving. Without question, the strand to strand/filament to filiment friction is the highest there. If a string is going to break, it will be at or under the serving. An amazingly small amount of wax is needed. You can slather the serving with string lube and let it sit over night to be sucked into the serving and string. But, remove what you see on the serving. It is the lube in the serving that you want. It is not there to lubricate the friction between the serving and the deck of the mainframe. So how much do you put on? Just dab or kiss the serving at and around the center and rub. Keep rubbing until all you see is a wet look (get your mind out of the gutter guys) with nothing on the surface of the serving. You can put all you want on the string when it looks dry or fuzzy, it will eventually and harmlessly get shot off. Loops are important as well.
A well lubricated serving will actually not need more wax during a shooting session. Ususally all that you need to do is rub the serving to get it warm and the lube will redistribute itself.
Picture grabbing a bunch of straw at each end and try to bend them in the middle. What the straws want to do on the inside of the bend is to stick out of your hands. The ends on the outside of the bend want to get drawn inwards. That is where the friction is and again, it is the highest in the center where the latches cause a kink.
Again, a very small amount of wax is needed.
I think it was you boo who mentioned experimenting with silicone grease. I thought that was a great idea and have been using it since. A little goes a long ways and penetrates really well. My serving life seems to have really increased with only applying it once since then. I'm using Harvey's brand. 100% silicone and waterproof. Thought I'd mention that now. It's working great!
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
8ptbuk

Post by 8ptbuk »

jparchery wrote:Excalibur recommends waxing your serving every 40-50 shots, other crossbow company's ( ten point ) advise not to wax the serving. My question is what benefit does waxing the string serving provide? Does the wax get stuck on the claws of the trigger mechanism?
What do the fine string makers on this forum recommend?
JP, Good advice given so far ! But also remember how important it is to have your latches polished to a mirror shine ! There is no waxing routine that will over come a Burr . Doesn't matter who served it or what they used or how its waxed after you receive it . It's just a matter of time and its ruined . JMO
James : 1 - 19-20 Know this , My beloved Brothers : Let every person be quick to hear , slow to speak , slow to anger , for the anger of man does not produce the righteousness of God .

8ptbuk's Flemish Strings
[email protected]
bearguide

Post by bearguide »

Don't forget to use rail lube as well on the mainframe (track-rail ) to increase string life, reduce friction, increase speed, this lube is different from serving wax .
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

bearguide wrote:Don't forget to use rail lube as well on the mainframe (track-rail ) to increase string life, reduce friction, increase speed, this lube is different from serving wax .
Never use rail lube personally. I find it actually creates serving separation prematurely. Rather, I use some silicone spray on a microfiber cloth to clean the rail when I'm getting dirt and wax building up. I wipe off Amy excess with a clean part of the microfiber cloth and I'm good to go.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Same here, I spray a bit of silicone spray on a cloth and clean the rail, then wipe down the rail with a dry cloth to finish
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Ok I put rail lube on rail and wax serving.others use silicone spray onrail with no rail lube.

Which is best ?
bearguide

Post by bearguide »

I use the lube Excalibur sells , works great. It's what they recommend in the manual ex lube, I see they sell now a silicone based lube as well x slick so if it works for you I say use it.