Is This Really Archery Hunting?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

DuckHunt

Re: Is This Really Archery Hunting?

Post by DuckHunt »

IMO, no, this wouldn't be archery. Putting fletching or a broadhead on a bullet doesn't make it an arrow. :lol: To be archery there has to be limbs to store the energy.

I do agree with an atlatl or spear being legal during archery season because they are similarly powered with human sweat. No, pumping up an air tank doesn't count as storing human energy any more than pushing a bullet down the muzzle of a muzzleloader. If its powered by air or gunpowder, its a gun regardless of the projectile design.

I'm not saying they should be illegal though. Any weapon capable of ethically harvesting game should have a season. They make air guns that can harvest big game and I feel this would fit perfect in that season. I think during the gun season in Virginia it is pretty much wide open regarding the weapon of choice with the only limitations being on the minimum power needed to harvest ethically.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

They should have called it a technology advanced blowgun on a stock. No lung pressure needed. My how far we came from shooting spit wads out of a straw. :lol:
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
DMc

Post by DMc »

vixenmaster wrote:MHO it doesn't fall under the Acrhery catagory, it has no limbs nor string. So its not a Bow of any type!
This is almost right. :D Archery is described/defined as a sport, practice or skill of using a bow to propel arrows. So it takes both the bow and an arrow, not just an arrow.

With the accuracy and simplicity of Excalibur crossbows this new gizmo holds no allure for me.

Post by newbie »

jparchery wrote:I would buy it in a heart beat. I'm a hunter. I want a weapon that gives me the best chance to harvest an animal ethically. I hope they allow it to be used for bow seasons here in Ontario
Gun season maybe. thats a big MAYBE... How is it archery?
Why not just just gun hunt?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

They have had 12 ga. flechette rounds since the Vietnam war. Since each round had something like 12 miniature arrows would they be considered archery?

The "Silver Bullets" the Abrams tank fire are also technically a flechette could we use an Abrams tank for Archery deer hunting?

video of Abrams tank shooting at deer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak3Q66GGuNE
Hunt it
Location: 35 mins North of Lake Erie and 35 mins East of Lake Huron

Post by Hunt it »

Old technology, guy not far from Excalibur in Guelph, designed one of these Co2 power deals 15 years ago, maybe more. It is built on an AR platform, all takedown come with Leupold scope in pelican case. He designed it for US Navy Seals, it shoots at 20" arrow 500fps under water or above all for $3,500.00. Not legal in any season here.
If some dept somewhere makes it legal we must keep in mind most compound shooters and traditional shooters don't think X bows are archery tackle either! Cross guns they call em! So folks that live in glass houses should not throw rocks :mrgreen:
Last edited by Hunt it on Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Archery or not I'd like to figure out how to increase the air compression and power. This would be a lot of fun! :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

I would definitely oppose their use during archery season but would help get them approved for firearms season. In addition to this new weapon, there is a large push for .45 cal air rifles for deer and I support them as well but again due to definition of "firearm" I would limit its use to muzzleloader and firearms season.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

paulaboutform wrote:I think it's just another way of launching an arrow and doesn't offend me at all. Seems to me that the traditional shooters are anti everything but traditional gear, compound shooters are anti crossbows, and I guess crossbow shooters can now be anti airbows. Do you see the irony in all this? One argument says pulleys, wheels, cables, sights isn't archery. Another argument says if you're not drawing the bow and holding the string yourself it's not archery. The way I see it, you're launching an arrow. Period....btw, I also put an atlatl in the archery category. Just my opinion.

Paul
...I feel the same way Paul...very well said...not sure what season it would fall under but I think I would be game for one...it is just amazing the speed at which just about everything changes...not sure its for the better of worse, but I am in no way offended by it!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

Heyu wrote:We could always modify our compressed air nail guns and have a semi auto loading quill shooter. Of coarse we would have to glue vanes on each nail to qualify. :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....I doubt it can qualify for archery season and it surely does not fit the definition of a bow....but it would be way cool to use during the gun season....

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
Jeter

Post by Jeter »

I think this air bow is a brilliant idea by crossman. Definetly ordering one.
Who would buy a crossbow when you have this nobody. Crossbows will be a thing of the past.
Heyu

Post by Heyu »

paulaboutform wrote:Archery or not I'd like to figure out how to increase the air compression and power. This would be a lot of fun! :mrgreen:

Paul
It's in the valves and hammer spring tensions on the amount of air to release for each shot. A lot of PCP air rifles can be self adjusted for power to conserve air from just plinking to max outputs for hunting.
335(323fps.380gr)355(352fps.390gr)Munch mounts. Bolt glass.BEEs,GT396 swift pro.2"blazer. Slick tricks,Ramcats,Wac'em, Grim reapers. TTsingle. Boo, 8ptbuck, Deerboy, vixenmaster strings. Dalton wax. Dr stirrup kit.

Keep your nose into the wind.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Locally everyone I talk too will give up their crossbows if its legal in archery..THEY ARE EXCITED..So it could put a big hurt on crossbow sales and compound bow sales..Just my opinion there is BIG interest in it locally here in pa..They DO NOT want it for firearms season only early archery..Trust me if it becomes legal here in pa in archery good by bow hunting as we do now...I see big increase of archery hunters if this becomes LEGAL and crews driving deer like they are gun hunting...CROSSBOW COMPANIES HAVE TO BE WORRIED ABOUT THIS BIGTIME....Or could they all change to AIR ARCHERY BOW ?In my opinion it will get approved here in pa in archery as everyone I talk to WANTS ONE even tho they just spent 800 on crossbow ....
Last edited by sproulman on Fri Jan 29, 2016 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

DMc wrote:
vixenmaster wrote:MHO it doesn't fall under the Acrhery catagory, it has no limbs nor string. So its not a Bow of any type!
This is almost right. :D Archery is described/defined as a sport, practice or skill of using a bow to propel arrows. So it takes both the bow and an arrow, not just an arrow.

With the accuracy and simplicity of Excalibur crossbows this new gizmo holds no allure for me.
The ALLURE is how light it is,how you can load it easy for shot after shot in treestand ,how it shoots 26 inch arrows at 50 yards with fixed points ,how older hunters with disabilities will now hunt,on and on...I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW MUCH INTEREST I SEE AT OUR ARCHERY CLUB...They are excited and all want one for archery deer hunting....The increase in HUNTERS will be why PGC will approve this new airbow,they want MONEY..More archery hunters is MONEY ...Sadly with lack of deer and this new weapon in archery you will have even harder time getting deer as you will have MORE hunters than you have now with crossbows...Archery season could get bigger than gun season with warmer weather and weapon that is easy to use....