Arrow Retension Spring

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

rattlerun

Arrow Retension Spring

Post by rattlerun »

I'm setting up a new M380, and in the process, put shrink tube on the arrow retension spring. The bow shoots very well so far at 20 yards. My question is that the spring only sets above the rail about 1/4 inch. It appears that it should be a bit higher, but with the spring steel, I'm afraid to bend it up to far. The way it is, the tubing will wear much sooner. Any suggestions, or just leave it alone.
paulaboutform

Re: Arrow Retension Spring

Post by paulaboutform »

Gently move it upward a little bit at a time testing as you go. You want just enough tension to hold it in place.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

[quote="rattlerun"]The way it is, the tubing will wear much sooner. Any suggestions, or just leave it alone.[/quote

Maybe yours is a little tight . I have a few hundred shots on mine with no to little wear.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Boo

Post by Boo »

Leave it where it is. With more tension, there is less likely hood of a semi-dry fire. Some of mine are almost touching and I've found no negative effects.
Better too tight than too loose.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
Honcho

Post by Honcho »

In addition to the shrink tubing, I also put a strip of the fuzzy part of Velcro on the bottom side. I use this stuff on lots of my hunting gear to help silence it.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Better a little tight to hold it in place and back against the string rather than viberating out of position and moving forward to allow a partial dry fire. That heat shrink should deaden or elliminate any noise if the spring action did actually allow it to make contact with the rail upon firing the arrow.

Besides I would consider 1/4" a good gap between it and the rail. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

for the arrow retention spring what size shrink tubing do you use? where do you get it here in canada. I was thinking about doing mine.

thanks in advance!

MMC
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I use 3/8" as it easily shrinks down to 3/16" and holds nicely....The first piece is about 1 1/2" long and far enough up to just barely cover the end. After it's set and somewhat cool I put on an additional piece 1" long over the first again only far enough to barely cover the tip of the spring, I use a hair dryer on high heat and max fan power. I use my fingers to press and form it at the end to insure it's tight at the very tip after I'm done heating and shrinking the remainder to tightly fit the spring....

Really very easy to accomplish.. :wink:

( If using a lighter or other type flame, keep it constantly moving or you may melt thru the plastic shrink wrap.) :roll:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Boo

Post by Boo »

I use what is called a double wall heat shrink. It is a self sealing heat shrink meant for outdoors. It adds much more weight than regular heat shrink and the sealant inside really sticks.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

cadmaster wrote:for the arrow retention spring what size shrink tubing do you use? where do you get it here in canada. I was thinking about doing mine.

thanks in advance!

MMC
Canadian Tire. Ask for the thick stuff.
Hank
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I hope I did shrink wrap right did all of the retention spring with regular heat shrink..used 2 different sizes and use lighter..I covered the scope end above it with alum foil so heat would not cause problem...question I assume rubber on RS at end does not affect POI on arrows?
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

Get the bow, cock it and load an arrow. With two hands point the bow towards the ground and give the bow a few stiff shakes. If the arrow stays put your good to go, if it slides forward you spring is not holding good enough.That is how I adjusted my arrow retention spring on my 355.
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I noticed that SHRINK WRAP holds arrow in place better than metal of the RS..So I guess you could go higher with shrink wrap on but I am no expert on this ..as some said it does not matter on flight of arrow if it is tight or loose?I still wonder if rubber on arrow is ok or is it better arrow slides on metal?
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

sproulman wrote:I noticed that SHRINK WRAP holds arrow in place better than metal of the RS..So I guess you could go higher with shrink wrap on but I am no expert on this ..as some said it does not matter on flight of arrow if it is tight or loose?I still wonder if rubber on arrow is ok or is it better arrow slides on metal?
I used to have rubber on mine but it couldn't take the stresses. Now I just use silicon spray wiped on the retainer. It works great.
Hank
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

So I assume having shrink wrap on retention spring at tip will have no affect on arrow flight?.....