Ideal FOC?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

va3cgt

Ideal FOC?

Post by va3cgt »

What is the ideal FOC for a arrow? Does it stay the same regardless of shaft length?
LongCarbine

Re: Ideal FOC?

Post by LongCarbine »

I like mine very front heavy 24-25% .That"s just me . I do get a lot of drop pass 40 yards but that's ok because I don't like shooting deer any father than that. And yes arrow length makes a difference. 200 grains up front with 20" arrow will have a different f.o.c % than an 18"
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
Normous

Post by Normous »

EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

I can tell this subject is diff fer everyone, not many actually use the exact same weight/arrow combo. Some of my set-up's run 14%-17%. Others abit less n some knockin 40% or abit more. I have several diff crossbows wid diff weight/length n type of arrows. I have some areas i hunt on my lease that 75 yds will give me some great deer movement. I use a fast 380-425gr arrow combo. I have some stands that 40 yds is the max n i run 40% set-up from one of my crossbows n bust shoulders
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

Depends on several things such as size of head you use as well as vanes. Using relatively small vanes (2" Blazers, and 3" Bohning X vanes) and mechanical heads or low profile (short) fixed 4 bladed heads I like my FOC around 15-18%. If I were using larger 2 sided fixed heads, and bigger vanes as a result, 12 to 15% would suffice. IMO, while crossbow arrows call for a higher FOC than verts, I like the lowest FOC that enables my arrow to fly accurately. Why? Higher than necessary FOC decreases the arrows ballistic coefficient -important to how it glides- thereby causes a steeper trajectory, which in turn requires more precise ranging and aiming.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Between 10/15% is all that's needed if the arrow is built correctly.
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
SEW

Post by SEW »

My experience:
1) the shorter the arrow, the more FOC required
2) the more the drag on the rear of the arrow(helical vs offset, larger vs smaller fletching) the more FOC needed.
3) the farther the range, the more FOC needed. Ie, what stabilizes an arrow just adequately to 40 yards will likely nor work at longer ranges. The farther you want to shoot, the more FOC you'll need.
4) more FOC (and more steering control - more offset or helical) will be needed as the point has more steering. Least - field point; low medium - low drag expandible - FOC, Shwacker, etc; medium - busy front end of expandible, ex Spitfire, low profile fixed BH - ex - Boltcutter, Slick Trick; high profile (large) broadhead.
5) more FOC than needed just causes a faster drop
6) ideally use no more FOC than needed to get good grouping at the max range desired.
7) there is no simple answer as to "what is the best FOC ". It's a lot more complicated than that. Arrow length, fletching type, fletching configuration, type of point, max range desired all factor in to the answer.
Normous

Post by Normous »

^^ Well said.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family