Tuff Gettin Old!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

vixenmaster

Tuff Gettin Old!

Post by vixenmaster »

I went out to take down my #1 Hang-On stand, put the climber on the 3 wheeler. I unhooked the trailer full of firewood from 3 wheeler n dang broke my thumb when it slammed up into the 3 wheeler bar n my hand on the tongue in between. Well i got to the stand tree n went up the clmbin ladder let down the safety/shootin rail. I went to unlock cable from Hang-On & found out i had the wrong set of keys fer the lock. So i hooked the climber onto tree n took the climbin ladder down, came home gotstid the right keys. Went back got stand down n took it all over to my new tree n locked to the base. I got slap wore out after toten all of that over to the new tree n area. Got back to cabin around 11:40 am n got some breakfast. I am tryin to recover, maybe i can go back tomorrow n get the Hang-On up n locked on at least.
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Michiganhunter

Re: Tuff Gettin Old!

Post by Michiganhunter »

LOL I hear ya brother... I have one about 1/2 mile from the rd in a wide fence row right now that I need to take down and do some welding on. The farmer cut the beans then he plowed the field up and so there are now two foot deep furrows in the entire field all the way tight against the treeline on all sides. No driving the truck back there now its going to be carrying the climbing stick and treestand on my back all the way. I went back the end of gun season to take it down and leave it on the ground as the beans were still up planning to drive back after harvest. Had the wrong key as well. My backside will be dragging time I get this thing down and to the truck now. Not even sure why I lock it as someone would do me a favor if they stole it. Turn 64 in one week, used to hang 10-15 stands every year by myself now I'm down to 3-4 and I'm thinking about just hunting off the ground from this point on. Feel very lucky to be able to still do what I do but its not getting any easier for sure...
380 Matrix Extra
Hawke XB 30 Compact
Easton 2216 19 " 388gr... 378fps
100gr Spitfire/Wasp Jak-Hammer
Trigger Tech trigger
papabear1

Post by papabear1 »

lol lol I know just how ya feel there ol'e timer, every year it gets harder and harder :( I got 5 ladder stands up and they can be a rip to take down and put back all by myself :roll: but at 73 yrs. old I guess I can consider myself pretty lucky, I have been rode hard and put up wet many, many, times so I guess, I can't complain too much. i'll keep on keepin on as long as I can,
be carefull mike tomorrow is another day. :D Hopefully :lol: :roll:

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Waif

Post by Waif »

Hey ,, paintin yerself in a corner is at least doin somethin.
My old Dad is home today after heart valve replacement and he was really B.S.'n about what he could do.
He neglected to say he couldn't make it to the mailbox and back but that's the new goal....
Be glad for what we can still do I guess.
Leave the dust for the wind to settle iff'n we half to.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Mr. Mike, everyone git's a little fat and outta breath during the winter . . .bet you was like a gray squirrel early in the fall when season opened up :wink:
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

I hear ya Mike. Sucks when the mind is willing but the body not so much.Sorry about your thumb. :(
Hank
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

I'll be 75 in march, you have to learn to pace yourself. I have to stop and rest a bit more often. But I will keep on keeping on chasing Mike's tick toters! :D
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

deerman41 wrote:I'll be 75 in march, you have to learn to pace yourself. I have to stop and rest a bit more often. But I will keep on keeping on chasing Mike's tick toters! :D
I sure hope i am still around n huntin these tick toters when i get 75, only 10 more yrs
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

I just hope I can be as active as all you guys when I get up there! I'm only turning 40 this year and I'm already trying to remember the last time I wasnt sore or tired!! :roll:
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

At 62 retired now with back trouble I cannot hunt everyday like i used too...Only like 4 hrs sitting ....Dad hunted until he was 91...I believe I am oldest one in woods I see out walking most road hunt ...I have summit climber 180 but I know its matter of time before I have to use ladderstand again I do not like them for archery at all no way I can climb a lock on....Here on stateland in pa you cannot leave anything in woods or it will be stolen and that makes it hard to hunt you have to carry your climber or lock-on out daily ..The ladderstands they will twist around a tree....I am out with my dog hunting grouse a lot and you have to just take it slower and MORE careful.....I notice I take naps more at home or in truck too like now at midnight I just woke up...Must have items are my cell phone and gps garmin alpha for dog.....
deadeer

Post by deadeer »

Pinpoint wrote:I just hope I can be as active as all you guys when I get up there! I'm only turning 40 this year and I'm already trying to remember the last time I wasnt sore or tired!! :roll:
Yes sir. I am two years ahead of you and already seeing it ain't getting no easier. I give big credit to the elders out there who are trudging right along. Man I can only hope! :mrgreen:
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

I laid a bunch of tile on a set of stairs over the weekend. I thought I was in decent shape for being 47. I am really feeling it this morning. :(

This is what happens when you have an office job... LOL

Jeff
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
Goose52

Post by Goose52 »

Vix, i try to be a venison freezer half full kinda guy.. you gotta find a silver lining & i see 2 in your situation: 1. you remembered where your stand was! 2. if you cut your chores in half cuz you can't do them in the same time as 5 years ago, then you have to spend twice as much time at camp!
Speaking of silver, i sometimes feel that the only silver in this old age thing is in my hair but was put straight when i was making venison jerky with my 3 yr old granddaughter the other day. I was cutting up some steaks with her at the counter when she asked me if i cut it down the middle. no, honey, i'm thin slicing off the end. "no papa, when u get a haircut do you only cut it down the middle?"
:shock:
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
Starvin' Hillbilly

Post by Starvin' Hillbilly »

Goose52 wrote:Vix, i try to be a venison freezer half full kinda guy.. you gotta find a silver lining & i see 2 in your situation: 1. you remembered where your stand was! 2. if you cut your chores in half cuz you can't do them in the same time as 5 years ago, then you have to spend twice as much time at camp!
Speaking of silver, i sometimes feel that the only silver in this old age thing is in my hair but was put straight when i was making venison jerky with my 3 yr old granddaughter the other day. I was cutting up some steaks with her at the counter when she asked me if i cut it down the middle. no, honey, i'm thin slicing off the end. "no papa, when u get a haircut do you only cut it down the middle?"
:shock:

:shock: Little one's . . . ya gotta love'em
-ken
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.-Blondie,
The good, the bad, the ugly
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

deerman41 wrote:I'll be 75 in march, you have to learn to pace yourself. I have to stop and rest a bit more often. But I will keep on keeping on chasing Mike's tick toters! :D
deerman nailed it....pace yerself brother....pace yerself. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads