Bear hunt with crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

bearguide

Bear hunt with crossbow

Post by bearguide »

Hi all,
I have been hunting black bear off and on since 1989 and used recurve, compound bows, rifle and shotgun with slug. Also guided for bear for years and got some nice big monsters in Manitoba and now in Alberta. I have never hunted with a crossbow and I'm heading to Fort McMurrary late May and will hunt with my new matrix grizzly . I did guide a guy 3 years ago who used a compound crossbow and took a small bear but I didn't see the hunt .
Anyone take a bear with their crossbow?
What was the distance? Were u in a ground blind or tree stand?
What was it like hunting with a crossbow?
Did the bear go far ?
Did u use a shooting stick ?
rattlerun

Re: Bear hunt with crossbow

Post by rattlerun »

Shot a small one near Jelicoe, Ont. with my 355. Shot from tree stand at about 25 yards. Went about 15 yards, then the death moan.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

A group of 4 of us from the forum hunt Bear in Ontario. Last season 3 of us used our Excalibur bows and one used his compound. 4 bears down in 4 days of hunting. We set our bait no further than 20 yards. Complete pass through shots and quick recovery of the crossbow bears. As long as shot placement is in the lung or heart area Bears go down quickly. We all have the option to use guns but feel it is a much better hunt with archery gear. Once you take one with a cross-bow you will be hooked.....

Cheers!!!!
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
rein1

Post by rein1 »

I've taken 8 black bear using a crossbow, The last two was with my 405. All but one was shot from a treestand most within 25 yds..I'm sure you'll have a great time ... Go for it
hankenhunter

Post by hankenhunter »

Three so far with the beast. Two on the ground mosying along under twenty yards and one climbing down out of a tree at ten yards. All three were about 250-300 lbs.
Ground hunting for bears is very exciting. :D Have fun and take lotsa pics for us.
Hank
maine hunter

Post by maine hunter »

Taken two with crossbows, my vortex and one with my 355 matrix. Both were ground blinds both pass throughs. Around 20 yards on the two. The most fun and exciting thing I have done!!! I love it!!! Your going to have a blast!!
355 matrix, big johns arrows- zombieslayers, g5 montecs, strikers. Vortex big johns arrows- zombieslayers g5 montecs 125. Lumenoks.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I see bears killed local here with cross bows.most use fix points like slick tricks.
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

my last 3or4 with a crossbow never go far 50yds or less mostly less i use my own shooting stick( ready shot stick )this can be found in trading post broadheads ramcats --slicktricks --spitfires bows were vortex-- mirco 335---380 -- tenpoint turbo will be leaving in june for quebec-- love bears one off the ground natural made blind other were tree stands
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

bob watkins wrote:my last 3or4 with a crossbow never go far 50yds or less mostly less i use my own shooting stick( ready shot stick )this can be found in trading post broadheads ramcats --slicktricks --spitfires bows were vortex-- mirco 335---380 -- tenpoint turbo will be leaving in june for quebec-- love bears
Did you ever hunt Moose in Quebec? I have an invite to go this year and so far looks good. Very expensive for non residents but might be my only chance to get a Moose in my lifetime...
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
timlynne

Post by timlynne »

Got a135 lb male with my Equinox . I was on the ground. Shot distance around 35 yards. Complete pass through. Found the arrow imbedded in a beech tree about 10 yards on the other side of the bear . I had to unscrew the shaft from the broad head it was buried that deep. Bear went about 200 yards with minimal blood until the last 20 yards
Micro 335
Micro Suppressor 355
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

never hunted moose not high on my hit list shot 2 caribou with my longbow one was a pretty nice p&y
bearguide

Post by bearguide »

Thanks all for the replies, sounds like you had a great time with crossbow. I'll take lots of photos, usually takes me 3 days to bring in the big boys as this hunt is not with an outfitter. Lots of bush work baiting them in ( hot grease rags, honey burns etc and will set up in 3 locations 25 yards away. 1 ground blind , 2 stand locations . I have a nice cinnamon bear 7"2" 500lbs on my wall but with slug and a half mount Blackbear with compound bow coming out of the wall. I also have several other rugs but will add to my collection this may with crossbow :D
I have taken a moose two years ago November just half hour away from Regina but with a 308 rifle.