Axiom vs Exomax advice

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

alduflux

Axiom vs Exomax advice

Post by alduflux »

I bought an Axiom three seasons ago as my first xbow. I'm pleased with it except for the drop off from 25 to 40 yards.

I'm looking to improve my setup, specifically to flatten the arrow flight between the 25 to 40 yard range.

My hunting is exclusively for whitetails and I have no intention of ever shooting farther then 40 yards.

My current setup is 100% stock axiom, string, firebolt arrows, 150 grain boltcutters. As best I can tell the stock axiom with my string and arrow is around 280 fps. I would prefer to keep my arrow setup, but will listen to advice.

What string upgrades should I consider? What advantages in arrow flight would those changes give me?

Also, the local shop has a good deal on a exomax in my price range. Is it worthwhile upgrading to the exomax or will I have similar drop off issues after 25 yards.

Should I consider a new bow other then the exomax or just stick with the Axiom as is?

Any ballistic info differences would be appreciated.

Again, my goal is to flatten arrow flight after 25 yards in a worthwhile way.

Thanks.
foofoo

Re: Axiom vs Exomax advice

Post by foofoo »

your not gonna make it shoot that much faster unless you drop your arrow weight down to 350gr. and have a custom string made up with fewer strands but it all comes at a price. theres a sweet matrix 330 in the trading bpost. id sell your Axiom and get a faster xbow if thats what you seek. that AXIOM is gonna kill deer to 40 yards as long as you know your scope. though
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Why dont you consider trading in your axiom in the trading post i dont think it would take long to sell. Use the money to get a grizzly or a 330 you might have to shell out 2 or three hundred but its a way out to a faster bow if thats your goal for next season. My friend drops 3 or 4 deer a year in pa with his axiom every year n loves it . In reality there as fast as some compounds. I cant blame anyone for buying another crossbow either im pretty guilty on that too. Lol good luck in your dilema as long as you pick another excalibur you cant make a bad choice. Lbj
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

If you want a flatter trajectory, the Grizzly/330 wouldn't be worth your money/time. The ONLY value they have over the Max you are considering is literally 6" narrower. In fact you could put a string of the same material that Grizzly comes stock with and shoot the EXACT same speed with your current bow.

If you are shorter than average, the Max is harder to cock by hand/rope because of it's long power stroke not the weight. I personally had the C2 crank (as I am missing 3 back muscles, so it didn't matter to me). If you are above average height then I think you'll find the Exomax perfect. It shoots a realistic 20fps faster than the Matrix 330 and will be had at a much more attractive price.

Depends on what you want...do you want a tool to expand your ability or do you want to spend more for compact?
IMHO people pay way too much in regards to performance/dollars for this slight compactness that aside from in a blind with a couple guys doesn't really matter...

If you want compact, buy a front heavy tenpoint and balance 7-8# about 3.5 feet from you long enough to make that shot:)
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1
Waif

Post by Waif »

One possibility to consider is a rangefinder.
I added one to the Axiom after a couple misses with the Exomax..no fault of the bow , but the user.
Adding a mount to the Max would allow not free handing the rangefinder and being able to swap back and forth.

Accuracy can very well trump speed in a kill,when distance is known as well as where to hold and what stadia or point of it to use.
Axiom.S.M.F.
S5s,cheek piece,firebolts, Original Rocket Steel heads.
Bushnell yardage pro on Excalibur mount.

Exomax.
Hawke 1.5-5x32ir SR.
Easton xx75,s 2219. Bolt-cutters.
Bunch of bumpers.
Vixenmaster! string.
drkeenan

Post by drkeenan »

Arrow drop really shouldn't matter if you have a speed dial on your scope with different marks for 20, 30 40, etc.. That said, you can flatten your trajectory with a lighter broad head. You might try a 100 gn Spitfire. I've had great success with them. You also can't go wrong with an Exomax!!
Micro 355 - (Mortal Cause II)
Stock String
Black Eagle Executioner Bolts
Tact Zone Scope
NAP SpitfiresXXX - 100 gn
ATN Shot Trak Video Camera
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Jus anudder opinion here. Ok yer Excal is doin 280 fps wid yer setup. So you want flatter traj. if'en you be 5' 8" or taller the E'max can work fer you. Now if'en yer shorter or like me arms are short you may want to look at the thumbhole stocked models. Equinox or Vortex. Now if'en you want a more compact model n abit more narror limbs start wid the Matrix 355 or 380. Plenty of them used n sellin decent prices right now. Cause ppl. wantin the new Bulldog n Micro 355. Usin the models i have stated wid yer arrow combo should put you up in the 300's n flatten the arrow traj. 2-3" maybe more
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
kawaboy-zx11

Post by kawaboy-zx11 »

my matrix 355 shoots about 6" low if i use the wrong chevron in the scope, example.... if i am shooting from 40 yards and use the 30 yard chevron it puts my POI about 6" low on my target, you can try your bow like that and use this info for a speed/trajectory reference.