Octane dead zone?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

M77 ruger

Octane dead zone?

Post by M77 ruger »

Is the octane dead zone that comes with the micro 335 any good or should I find a upgrade pkg? For you guys that use this scope what do you think about it and does it hold up?
M77 ruger

Re: Octane dead zone?

Post by M77 ruger »

This is one of the package scopes. Is this a much better option?

http://www.hawkeoptics.com/xb1-15-5x32-sr.html
Normous

Post by Normous »

I have not read any poor reviews regarding the Octane scope and many are perfectly happy with this scope on top of their Excalibur's.
I always suggest buying the best scope that your pocket book can afford so that future upgrades are not required. Good scope glass is always raises the corners of my lips.
EXCALFFLICTION 1991 ->>----------> 2024
Matrix 355
Huskemaw and Leupold crossbow optics.
Boo Strings
SWAT BH's and TOTA heads.
Teach Your Family How To Hunt So You Don't Have To Hunt For Your Family
va3cgt

Post by va3cgt »

I just upgraded my Octane Dead Zone scope to a Nikon Bolt XR. Visually the Nikon is clearer, sharper image. The Octane glass has a yellow hue compared to the Nikon. Speed dial on the Octane, the Nikon does NOT have a speed dial. The 20 and 30 yard marks on the Nikon are spot on for the rated velocity of the Micro, but the 3rd indicator represents about 45-48yards. I was launching 400gn arrows off hand and hitting center at 45 yards.
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

It's not a good scope. Leupold or Hawke optics is a better choice.
Sangster

Post by Sangster »

It's a good scope for target shooting in daylight hours,,,,
If you take your hunting serious,,,,,,
You WILL consider an upgrade :)
Micro 335 camo
Xb30 pro
Wyvern gold tip bolts
Hoping for some Boo strings
Manitoulin Island deer properties
Phoenix Excal
Exocet Excal
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

My micro 335 came with Tact-zone scope..With bucks here in pa moving at dark and early mornings the lighted recticles of this scope is just real nice.fps dial is nice too..I think your dead zone scope is fine..
LoneWolf45

Post by LoneWolf45 »

As a current owner of a Micro 335, I can say the scope was quite good. Not crystal clear like the Leopolds on my rifles, but good. With the speed dial, I could get it dialed in with incredible precision. Plus, if you have a deer-size target, you can learn what deer bodies look like at different ranges bracketed in between the hold-over chevrons and the horizontal crosshair. This presents a crude range-finding system.

What I didn't like was the light transmission in low light and the lack of illuminating crosshairs. It got very hard to see those hold-over chevrons in low light! This ended up doing it in for me.

I upgraded, significantly, to an EOTech XBow holographic sight, which took all the range guessing work away with its built-in scale. Obviously it solved the illumination part too. And, it's lighter and more compact!

Point is, the Octane does the job, as long as you work within its limitations. However, if you have the funds to upgrade, do your research and upgrade to a higher quality scope that has improved features YOU feel are lacking in the Octane. Otherwise, leave it there and hunt the crap outta it!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I have a Leupold Crossbones on my Matrix 355 and love it... I have a Dead Zone on my Micro and I have no plans to change it any time soon... In fact, I traded for another to keep in the gun safe as a back-up to both scopes listed above...

The chevrons can be made "spot on" with the correct speed ring setting... You do have to experiment some, as the marked speeds are only an estimate as far as I'm concerned... For the Micro, the only other scope I would consider would be a very compact one like the Nikon Bolt...

In my case, both my bows wear Munch Mounts and with the compact length of the D/Z and Bolt I can better see what I'm doing while loading an arrow.
I actually think it could be a bit harder should it have the Crossbones on it due to the increased length of the scope and shortness of the rail.

As to clarity, My two are better than the three vari-zones I have had in the past , not guite the quality of the Bolt, but close enough that I went out and found a great trade for a second to have as a spare. :wink:

Just my $.02 for what it's worth :roll:
Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier