Advice for Grizzly crossbow

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Melmark

Advice for Grizzly crossbow

Post by Melmark »

Hello, looking for some advice. I have shot my new Grizzly about 30 times and have left it cocked overnight 3 or 4 nights. My brace height still measures 1.5 inches. I just installed a set of Dannys sound suppressors and as you can see they are not all the way in against the shoulder and I still measure 1/4" from the string to the suppressor tip. I am wondering if, at this point I should go ahead and unstring the bow and lengthen the string to get:
1. brace height to 1 inch
2. supressors in all the way against the shoulder
3. supressor distance to the string at 1/8"

Or maybe I should just leave it alone and not overthink it....what do your thoughts?
sorry...probs uploading pic
Last edited by Melmark on Sat Feb 13, 2016 9:25 am, edited 4 times in total.
TheBig1

Re: Advice for Grizzly crossbow (new guy)

Post by TheBig1 »

I'm no pro at this, but I had the same thing happen with my Dr. Stirrup bumpers. My advice would be to get it as close as possible without compromising your brace height, Loctite the screws in with blue Loctite and leave it there. I make sure that my string is on the faint line provided on the rail.

Chad

P.S.- I too love my Grizzly!!!
Matrix Grizzly
Hawke XB30 Pro
8ptbuk Custom Flemish String
Spynal Tapp 314gr 18" Bolts
Ramcat 100gr

Genesis 27:3
Now then, get your equipment, your quiver and bow, and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

NRA Lifetime Member
Melmark

Post by Melmark »

I think that I'm good now......unstrung and untwisted the string about 7 or 8 twists. That allowed me to slide the supressors (like reds) in all the way to the shoulder. After doing this the string is about 1/8" from the bumpers and I have a 1" brace height. I know that I will have to watch the dimensions as I shoot more but looks good for now.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Your bow is a Matrix model as is my 355.......As I have been told and adhere too, you want a 1/4" to 5/16" gap between the end of Danny's "Baby Bumpers" ( or a set of REDS ) to the front edge of the string.

I have also read here of some descrepancy in recommended brace height on the Grizzly model, with the majority reporting their best accuracy and performance at 1 1/2" brace height.

I'm sure someone will chime in to confirm, or if I'm mistaken :roll: they will correct my suggestion. :wink:

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

On my Micro 335 I have adjusted string 2 times,left it cocked all night and string touched bumpers put on ff string and adjusted it again after 4 shots..Micro has line and I was told to put string on inside of line not in middle and that puts it about 1/4 away from r.e.d.s...
odeman

Post by odeman »

I had the same problem with my Grizzly, used flat washers on the REDS, two on each, gave me 1/4 inch of the bumpers, with a 1.5 inch brace height. Be sure to loctite the screws.
Hope that helps.
Melmark

Post by Melmark »

odeman wrote:I had the same problem with my Grizzly, used flat washers on the REDS, two on each, gave me 1/4 inch of the bumpers, with a 1.5 inch brace height. Be sure to loctite the screws.
Hope that helps.
I like that idea......the bow shot so well at 1.5" brace height that I moved it back to that dimension and installed 2 washers behind ea. baby bumper...just as you recommended. Thanks for the tip.

Mark
odeman

Re: Advice for Grizzly crossbow

Post by odeman »

That's great Mark
I love the Grizzly, shoots great, and is my 1st crossbow.
Used stock bolts and bolt cutters to take a nice fat spike in 2015
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Melmark wrote:I think that I'm good now......unstrung and untwisted the string about 7 or 8 twists. That allowed me to slide the supressors (like reds) in all the way to the shoulder. After doing this the string is about 1/8" from the bumpers and I have a 1" brace height. I know that I will have to watch the dimensions as I shoot more but looks good for now.
What kind of string are you shooting? To many turns will not be good for your center serving!!
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Melmark

Post by Melmark »

JUSTANUFF wrote:
Melmark wrote:I think that I'm good now......unstrung and untwisted the string about 7 or 8 twists. That allowed me to slide the supressors (like reds) in all the way to the shoulder. After doing this the string is about 1/8" from the bumpers and I have a 1" brace height. I know that I will have to watch the dimensions as I shoot more but looks good for now.
What kind of string are you shooting? To many turns will not be good for your center serving!!
I am using the stock string. I think that I am about right back where I started when the bow was delivered. I read a few posts about unwinding the serving string so I put it back where it was.

Thanks
Mark
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

If you do not have a spare string I would suggest that you get yourself a Flemish string from any one of the string builders on this sight,,you may find that you won't need those washers to close the gap of the string to the bumpers,,the bow will shoot softer and you won't compromise any significant speed

Mike
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
ghall6292

Post by ghall6292 »

I just received my baby bumpers (Danny's) from Wyverns, and with a 1.5" brace height, my bumpers lack a whole in of touching the string, even as far out as I dare to go. The posts on my bumpers are only 3/4" long from the shoulder to the end. I ordered the Matrix set; is it possible that these are made for the Micro?

I'm new to this game and to the Forum, but havin' a blast! Thanks for any help you can give this newbie.
Predator55

Post by Predator55 »

Is it possible to get a visual, can anyone post a pic of what it should look like?
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

Grizzly uses the Micro set of Danny's bumpers. They are longer.
ghall6292

Post by ghall6292 »

Thanks for the tip. I spoke with Danny on the phone late yesterday afternoon and he told me the same thing. BTW, what a great guy he is! As I posted, I'm new to this game and he treated me like an old friend.