DIY iPod mount (Experimental)

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

cadmaster

DIY iPod mount (Experimental)

Post by cadmaster »

After seeing several different mounts for rifles and spotting scopes I decided to try to make one cheaply that would work as well as the fancy $100 models for cell phones.
I did several conceptual designs, but used this one as I had all the materials so total cost ZERO.

features: easy to remove, light, easy to make, iPod can rotate out of the way so you can see down scope directly.

Materials used: 16 ga Aluminum Plate, 3 bolts various sizes c/w nuts and washers, a cap off a medicine container and a plastic pipe bracket I had laying around (I actually bought it and another at a thrift store for $0.15 total because they appeared to be the right size for my scope) and a plastic piece that I used as a spacer.

Functionally it appears to work quite well, but the wide angle of the iPod lens appears to see too much of the internals of the scope and not enough through the scope. Also it appears that iPod angle and alignment are critical as the crosshairs appear to move as the iPod moves thus indicating a possible parallax problem. Better indexing of the iPod to scope and tighter bolts should alleviate if not eliminate the parallax problem. I need to work on the adjustment in better light as the iPod is useless in typical night time room lighting and the resolution of an iPod 4g is something like 640 x 256.

In the final version I will be using a self adhesive Velcro sheet to hold the iPod to the mount. The prickly side will be on the mount and the furry side on the iPod Case. To remove the mount you just remove one of the bolts holding the pipe bracket to the mount and the pipe bracket then can be opened up enough to slide off the scope. I will also paint the mount black so it does not show up so much. I will also cut down the pivot bolt to the correct length (currently it is way too long).

I will have to research more details from the various designs that the manufactures use to see if I can overcome the problems and if the makers use special software with their mounts or if the problem is just my 5 year old brand new iPod (recently replaced by apple for free).

Hillcountry

Re: DIY iPod mount (Experimental)

Post by Hillcountry »

Very cool...nice job!
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

What you are doing is showing an ingenuity and resourcefulness that is delightful.

However, can you tell this Luddite what the intended function might be? A photo of your target? Brighten your screen so you can overcome weak scope optics?

Or, send a text message to your deer before you plug him?
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I was planning to use it to video the shot at whatever deer, moose etc. LOL.

It was more in the experimental than anything else, just to see if I like it or not.

With me off work for so long I have been coming up with DIY ideas just to keep my skills and mind working (30 years as a mechanical designer).
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I am planning to use an Ion Air Pro 2 this season. Considered mounting it to the crossbow, however, based on seeing videos from other bow mounted action cameras, decided to try something else.
The problems that I see with bow mounted units are 1) you are limited to following the subject by the movement of your crossbow and 2) the vibration at the moment of the trigger release momentarily blurs the video.
I put my action camera into the helmet mount bracket and then attached this to the top of a face shield (the kind used in a chemistry lab) that I removed the face shield from. With the helmet mount attached, the weight is no more than an ounce. This can be put on top of a baseball cap or a winter wool hat. It allows me to follow my subject with my head, since it is mounted on the top of my head in the middle. So it sees what I see.
I just started experimenting so I that I will be ready for the season.
I wish you the best of luck.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....cadmaster...I for one fell for the piece of iscope ishiat...at the PA sportsman show....I have yet to open mine...but my BIL said it is garbagy plastic...which requires a download and does can easily move and get knocked off...be very interested in a design that works! .....at least ithinks iwill! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anthony :mrgreen:
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
cadmaster

Post by cadmaster »

I am not sure the I scope or any phone/iPod mounted to look through the scope that you actually have to look at the screen to shoot will be a good idea. You end up looking at the screen from a distance of 1-2 inches which would create a lot of eye strain. you could move the scope further forward, but then you would end up with eye relief problems if you used the scope without the phone/iPod and mount.

At first blush it SEEMS to be a good idea, but in practice not so good. I think using something like that on a spotting scope or Astronomy telescope would be OK, but any application where it is that close to your eyes is a waste of time.