Quieting string and limbs

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JD3RD

Quieting string and limbs

Post by JD3RD »

Yes, I'm new to this forum and you may have covered it a hundred times; but I would like to hear ways I might make my 380 quieter when shot. Something I could buy or do?

JD3RD
Boo

Re: Quieting string and limbs

Post by Boo »

Don't be discouraged by what some will say about lowering noise but keep in mind that less noise is more for you than it is for the deer.
Which bow do you have?
Some people just like stepping on rakes
JD3RD

Post by JD3RD »

Thanks Boo for the reply--I'm shooting a 380.
Boo

Post by Boo »

A wooden stock, cat whiskers, heavy carbon arrows, adding some weight to one side of the stirrup, wrapping the stirrup will all help in lowering noise. That list is from the greatest to the least of noise reduction. It is up for discussion because weight of cat wishers and arrow weight is variable. Obviously some on the list will cost you speed.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I did the air brakes on my micro 335 and 1 without air brakes.It did help..Then wrapped stirrup with tennis rubber wrap,that helped.Shrink wrapped the retention spring and that is quiter...Actually it is nice now to shoot in basement before I did those things it had a loud SNAP to it or ting..I did not do the cat whiskers on string..

got all these ideas from here not my ideas...
BryanGrizzlyohio

Post by BryanGrizzlyohio »

My thoughts on this an strictly my thoughts. Before all this hyped up scent control an silencing this an making this quieter. Hunting was a way of life its now for some a rich mans hobby. I wouldn't worry so much about noise for say vibration yes I do some on that, but that is for shooter comfort.i can remember as a child harvesting deer with my old pse that sounded like a 22 cracking in the woods with speeds if I was lucky n the 230's. If your shooting a 380 that arrow has practically hit an passed through whatever game u may hunt at 40 yards before you will even have a chance to drop your bow done. But me I don't get caught up in all that noise silencing gimmick an heck my bow is way slower than that 380.
Matrix grizzly
18" diablos
125gr grim reaper razor tip
Stock string an a purty sling
Twilight dlx optic
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

....ear plugs have worked the best for me! :lol: Not one deer shot with the 380 or 335 has minded one bit...did not notice any string jumping whatsoever within 40 yards!

Anthony :)
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I had bucks jump string at 10 yards with fred bear bow and silencers and cedar arrows with feathers...
BULLZ-i

Post by BULLZ-i »

IT'S A LOT LESS NOISY THAN YOU THINK, BEING BEHIND THE BOW YOU HEAR MORE THAN OUT FRONT OF OFF TO THE SIDES.
GO HAWKS!
IronNoggin

Post by IronNoggin »

Further to what Boo suggested...

I like the idea of a fancy wooden stock, but they simply do not belong on one of my bows. I am FAR to rough on my equipment to even consider that!

Custom Boo string with whiskers... Check

400 grain fully dressed Custom Big John Arrows with Luminoks... Check

Stirrup wrapped full round with Camo Form... Check

Arrow Retainer Spring taped with 3M... Check

While substantially quieter than when I started off, I really don't think the deer much noticed. Still this 380 kills well right out to 60 yards, and I've never seen one duck what's incoming...

Cheers,
Nog
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

Monster Bow Jax,,,they work when applied correctly !
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
Hi5

Post by Hi5 »

It used to be that when I saw a question posted like yours, I'd just offer the smart ass suggestion that you needed to use foam. If the sound of your bow bothered you, put the foam in your ears. Then you wouldn't be bothered by the sound. If you didn't want the sound of your bow to bother the deer, stick some foam in its ears. Then it won't be bothered by the sound of your bow, either.

Otherwise, it's pretty much a futile effort. The deer will hear your bow. You cannot make your bow so quiet that a deer won't hear it. As a matter of fact, they probably will even hear the sound of the arrow as it travels toward them.

I suggest that you think about bow silencing this way. Think of it as you would about farting in church. Is a tiny one, one that everyone nevertheless hears, that much less embarrassing than one that rattles the windows?

If it pleases you to reduce the sound of your bow, go for it. There will likely be a very slight speed reduction of your arrow. The accessories that will reduce sound will probably cost a minor amount. However, if you think the cost in dollars and arrow speed is worth it, go for it.

It likely won't affect your hunting performance either way, but if it pleases you, go for it.
"Gun Control Laws"--trying to nag criminals into submission.