Cabin fever sight-in

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Goose52

Cabin fever sight-in

Post by Goose52 »

Just went through a week of below 0 temps & my cabin fever was running higher than usual so i went to a local archery shop & sighted in my replacement twilight scope at their range. guy was helpful & we did some cocking & decocking & it was all good except for 3 things:
1. while i was in the bull consistently at 20 yards my old eyes aren't going to allow me to robin hood any bolts without some luck being involved.
2. i asked the guy about wax & lube maintenance & he said i could use my tube of excal lube to lube the rail & to wax my string. that struck me as odd.
3. when an acquaintance who had rotor cuff surgery came in to buy a xbow & was looking at my 335 & asking questions the guy quickly steered him away from me and said how loud excals were & how that would make successful long shots on deer less likely than with compound xbows. i wasn't there to talk him out of a sale so i just smiled & packed up.

Do you guys think i should pick up some wax or actually use lube on my string?
Micro 335 Nightmare (Black Bo)
Twilight DLX
Wyvern's Gold Tips
Drstirrup
Matrix 350LE
longbow joe

Re: Cabin fever sight-in

Post by longbow joe »

Yea them excaliburs with that old recurve design ....hardly anybody uses em anymore. They were never any good after 20 yards anyway . Just some wd 40 with a rag on the rail is fine . Wax yer string dont cake it on the serving (it will clog the trigger ) n your good. Crossbow guys car guys wen i worked at a motorcycle shop as a kid we called it (bench racing ) go shoot a big buck or hog turkey ..zombie n post a big picture with you proudly displaying you trophy with that acient bow at yer side on that archery shop bulliten board .lol
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I am only one that takes crossbow to our archery range ..BUT over half have crossbow they just do not need to shoot them they use compound bows they had before or just sit and watch me ..Only thing I heard was they said my bow was loud ..compounds are easier to shoot and kids have ball..They say HEY OLE SPROUL WHERE IS YOUR RECURVE ? I said RETIRED LIKE ME...
NEPAbowhunter

Post by NEPAbowhunter »

My buddy that I hunt with says my bow is loud. He says it sounds like an aluminum bat hitting a tree. He has heard it numerous times since I started hunting with a crossbow. He also knows when he hears it there is one less deer going to be walking around. :lol:
Matrix 355
Bulldog 380
Mission Sub-1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bS9N8dEdZCQ
GrassyKnoll

Post by GrassyKnoll »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:My buddy that I hunt with says my bow is loud. He says it sounds like an aluminum bat hitting a tree. He has heard it numerous times since I started hunting with a crossbow. He also knows when he hears it there is one less deer going to be walking around. :lol:

It's the sound of death....
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, Trigger Tech,
Matrix 380 Xtra with Vortex Viper XBR, ^^^
Matrix 380 Blackout with Vortex Viper XBR,
Micro 335 Raid with HHAv Vortex Crossfire II Pro Grade trigger
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Just lightly wax the string. About the noise ? None of the deer that I have shot complained one little bit :lol:
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

For 52 years I used fred bear/ben pierson recurve for my bucks.In that time I bet at least 15 jumped the string at 10 yards or so.. My bows were much quieter than crossbow.....So if you can make ANY bow quieter I would do it..
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

NEPAbowhunter wrote:My buddy that I hunt with says my bow is loud. He says it sounds like an aluminum bat hitting a tree. He has heard it numerous times since I started hunting with a crossbow. He also knows when he hears it there is one less deer going to be walking around. :lol:
Love this!! :lol:
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

sproulman wrote:For 52 years I used fred bear/ben pierson recurve for my bucks.In that time I bet at least 15 jumped the string at 10 yards or so.. My bows were much quieter than crossbow.....So if you can make ANY bow quieter I would do it..
This is a fun thread! I can definitely relate to the Aluminium bat against a tree with my stock M380 :lol:

First time I shot it, I was sure that I dry fired it...cause the sound was intense and the arrow was gone so fast it was not visible and it was buried way past the fletching in a target that had previously stopped every thing I had ever shot at it at 20 yards.

I hunted a longbow for a lot of years. Something I have noticed since having the 380 is that comparing ANY bow that Fred Bear made to the M380 is like comparing the pulling power of a Toyota to a train!! :lol: :mrgreen: Not even close to the same animal.
No deer, even on his best day, is going to jump the string on this bow at 10 yards! And has very little chance at 20yrds :twisted: