Scope mounting

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

Scope mounting

Post by ThunderXB »

OK, in my never ending "new crossbow shooter" questions (and I appreciate all the help):

I have a new Bulldog 400 on the way, basically a full size Matrix as I understand.

I am going to us a HHA Optimizer and start with a regular rifle scope on top, a Zeiss Conquest 3-9x40 that I had available.

WILL I be able to use just "regular" picatinney/weaver medium rings or will I need cantelivered rings (at least one for the front??)
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
longbow joe

Re: Scope mounting

Post by longbow joe »

At what ranges will you be hunting. My friend has a normal 3x 9 on his 405 with no opto. The bow shoots so flat out to 40 yards its almost not needed.If your gonna push the yards thats fine . It just cracks me up seein an opto. On a guys bow that hunts 40 yard woods. My point is at 40 yards that bow probably barely drops 10 inches thats not hard to compensate on a buck . If your shooting further i understand why you want to use it. I always seem to go the uncomplicated simple route with hunting stuff.lol good luck with you new dog im sure youll love it
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

IMO, there's nothing wrong with quality optics and the ability to use variable magnification as any circumstance may dictate. And since the only scope you happen to have laying around is a Zeiss, I'd say youve got yourself a boss setup with the HHA.

It's tough to answer your question more directly, because you might need the cantilevered mount depending on eye relief and scope geometry and you might not.

The truth is that a quality scope like that Zeiss might not offer enough elevation adjustment to be used in conjunction with an HHA because they sit so damn high and with good glass in the tube, this usually means less internal adjustment. Paulaboutform and I have experienced this with two different, quality scopes on the HHA. No amount of shimming or offsetting of rings would get the scope on paper.

So my advice and take it for what it's worth, test the scope with cheap rings just to see if you're close to getting it on paper, and if it looks like it'll work, buy the cantilevered mount if it's indeed necessary.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

Thanks for the feedback.

I've never set up a crossbow before and I appreciate the knowledge I can gain here to help me avoid any pitfalls and shorten my learning curve.

The Zeiss is a scope that I bought for a rifle that I ended up selling and it was just sitting here. I didn't get it specifically for the crossbow.

Thought it would be a nice fit and better than the factory Excalibur "package scopes".
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

More of us shoot "package" scopes than don't, and they are dead on for most situations.
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Any Zeiss optics you have will be superior to the lesser quality Chinese made scopes. Pairing your Zeiss with an HHA Optimizer will be a great fit. Go with the lowest rings you can. PM me if you need a hand with any setup. I've played with these a lot.

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
ThunderXB

Post by ThunderXB »

paulaboutform wrote:Any Zeiss optics you have will be superior to the lesser quality Chinese made scopes. Pairing your Zeiss with an HHA Optimizer will be a great fit. Go with the lowest rings you can. PM me if you need a hand with any setup. I've played with these a lot.

Paul

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.

I'm not putting anyone else's set up down, just being a "new guy" trying to set my first Xbow up the best I can.