Long Range Crossbow Hunting !

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Timbrhuntr

Long Range Crossbow Hunting !

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I was very dissapointed this week when I turned on and watched a hunting show called Best of the West. This is a hunting show dedicated to long range hunting. I have no problem with long range rifle hunting but when I saw they would be hunting with a crossbow I was a little concerned. The host of the show Joe Cunningham explained how he was testing a new long range scope for the crossbow. He shot a target at 20,30,40,50,60,80,90 and 100 yards. He noted the number of clicks for each shot and other info and then had a spescial turret made for the scope by huskemaw optics. The type you put on a long range rifle to set your yardage on a long shot. He explained that he could with his set up take a range say 80 yards then just click the turret to that number on it and shoot at game. He then with a guide stalked around a high fence deer operation following a big deer that the guide had picked out. They basically drove around spotting like you would on a rifle hunt until they found the deer which obviously can't leave the property and when they had a good shot they tried to set up like they do on a long shot at an animal with a rifle. Even with this it took several tries until the deer presented a good shot at over 60 yards. They took the shot and were able to kill the deer although the whole thing looked a little odd. I don't know about you but I have never seen a big 180 inch plus buck that just casually walked around even while being stalked and didn't just make for the hills as soon as it saw or smelled me.
So what are your thoughts on long range hunting with a crossbow. I wasn't impressed as I view my crossbow like my compound and before that recurve as a short range weapon. I hope this kind of hunting doesn't catch on as I'm sure it will just result in wounded game and more use of the xgun stereotype !
I know that there are some vertical bow shooters that take long shots on game out west say 60 yards but if we start doing this kind of thing with our crossbows especially at ranges to 100 yards it will just makes us look even more like the old steretype of all crossbow hunters as just rifle hunters looking for a way to get into the archery season and not real bowhunters ! What do you think or is that what we really are ?
papabear1

Re: Long Range Crossbow Hunting !

Post by papabear1 »

I personally think 40 yds. is far enough, there are just too many variables especially if you are hunting in the timber, Besides archery hunting to me is about getting close to your deer, or whatever you hunt, that is what it,s all about. :| JMHO !!!

Dave :)
2010 equinox,
known as doe bow
vixenmaster custom string
swacker bhs, 2/1/4" cut 120 grn.
xx75 Easton 2219,s
firebolt arrows
S5 pads
if it ain't broke don't fix it
be safe in all you do
see ya in the woods
<-------<
Stocksoccer

Post by Stocksoccer »

The hunt to me is how close I can get to my game.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Shows like that and I have seen a few hurt the crossbow from getting in some states . Some people look at a crossbow as a rifle not a bow because of these shows .Crossbows are a limited distance weapon . I was at a sports show one year and PSE had a booth there with their crossbow and the rep bragged how that xbow could shoot a 2 inch group at 200 yards . It is fine to play with these long range shots but it is not really ethical for hunting .
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Sounds to me like the deer was probably sedated before being released for the slaughter.... I hate those shows and can never invision myself on a high fenced "Canned Hunt" of any type.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
MTBighorn

Post by MTBighorn »

Hunting and shooting targets are not the same. I shoot competitive long range BPCR rifle, and do really well...and I like to shoot my Excalibur at 100yards all the time at my target. But I shoot neither of these at animals at long range.

I HATE to see these jokers shooting high powered rifles 1000-1800yards at game. It is just wrong in my book. Just not safe practice, even if you are ok with the ethics. What if somone was actually attempting a stalk on one of these animals, with there 12 year old kid?!!

As far as bow hunting goes....just about everybody that I know that hunts the Montana Missouri breaks country for elk, with there vertical bow (about 6 guys come to mind)...All of them have pins out to 110yards!

From talking to them and seeing the AWESOME pictures of the elk they harvest.... I would say the average distance for them to harvest elk is around 85-90 yards...

What makes me angry is that because of my shoulder injuries, I cannot join them with my crossbow. :cry: :evil: Because the MBH assn. has so much power they will not even allow those with disabilities to use our crossbows.

These guys, with fast flight, 80% let-off compounds, make killing elk at 100yrds with a vertical bow common place...and then act like the crossbow makes it too easy :roll:

The crossbow gives NO advantage in this situation...I think it is greed because they know several of us that have had to hang up our vertical bows would surely enter the woods again in archery season if we were allowed.

I can safely say that I have learned from shooting 60 - 100 yards with my Matrix 380 that there is no way I could/would hunt game at those ranges with my xbow..Any little variation in conditions or my shooting form will throw the arrow way outside my intended mark..on a familiar, stationary target! :shock: .

Plus the notion is totally missing the point of archery for me :mrgreen:
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Just on that very point I watched a hunting show Winchester Deadly Passion with Melissa Bachman last night and she was chasing mule deer out west. She, with a guide were stalking mule deer in velvet and couldn't get real close. She took 2 shots at nice bucks at long distance. The first she misjudged and missed and the second she shot in the neck and luckily for her she must have hit the spine because it went right down. Then they talked about what a great shot she made . I lost a lost of respect for her right there. Last year on the last morning of my whitetail hunt in Kansas a giant typical 10 point walked out and crossed the field in front of me. I ranged him broadside at 58 yards. I know with my exomax I could make that shot on a target all day long but I let him walk and hope to see him this fall but closer. I would have likely hung up my bow if I had tried that shot and it went wrong and I lost that amazing deer due to it ! Some of these TV hunters make it seem like its no big deal and just part of the game ! Sad !
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Timbrhuntr wrote:I was very dissapointed this week when I turned on and watched a hunting show called Best of the West. This is a hunting show dedicated to long range hunting. I have no problem with long range rifle hunting but when I saw they would be hunting with a crossbow I was a little concerned. The host of the show Joe Cunningham explained how he was testing a new long range scope for the crossbow. He shot a target at 20,30,40,50,60,80,90 and 100 yards. He noted the number of clicks for each shot and other info and then had a spescial turret made for the scope by huskemaw optics. The type you put on a long range rifle to set your yardage on a long shot. He explained that he could with his set up take a range say 80 yards then just click the turret to that number on it and shoot at game. He then with a guide stalked around a high fence deer operation following a big deer that the guide had picked out. They basically drove around spotting like you would on a rifle hunt until they found the deer which obviously can't leave the property and when they had a good shot they tried to set up like they do on a long shot at an animal with a rifle. Even with this it took several tries until the deer presented a good shot at over 60 yards. They took the shot and were able to kill the deer although the whole thing looked a little odd. I don't know about you but I have never seen a big 180 inch plus buck that just casually walked around even while being stalked and didn't just make for the hills as soon as it saw or smelled me.
So what are your thoughts on long range hunting with a crossbow. I wasn't impressed as I view my crossbow like my compound and before that recurve as a short range weapon. I hope this kind of hunting doesn't catch on as I'm sure it will just result in wounded game and more use of the xgun stereotype !
I know that there are some vertical bow shooters that take long shots on game out west say 60 yards but if we start doing this kind of thing with our crossbows especially at ranges to 100 yards it will just makes us look even more like the old steretype of all crossbow hunters as just rifle hunters looking for a way to get into the archery season and not real bowhunters ! What do you think or is that what we really are ?
This is TOUCHY topic for me to comment on and I almost did not..But I do not lie and only tell it like it is...Here in my area of pa the crossbow hunters are taking 100 yd shots on pipelines and in woods..Did they do this with compound bows?NO..Is it ethical..NO most doing it DO NOT CARE......Most on here that respond you can see are ethical hunters BUT majority in real life here in pa ARE NOT..Go to our local archery shop and stand back and listen to comments..MOST will ask young lady this,HOW FAR CAN IT SHOOT .. Not 1 will ask HOW QUITE IS BOW ,IS BOW SMALL AND LIGHT..But say it goes REAL FAST WITH LIGHT ARROWS and those eyeballs open right up and out comes wallet money flying all over place and do not even care what make of bow it is...

.I have friends that got 25 bear this year and if anyone thinks I am fibbing drop me PM and you can call the crew leader,another group got 14 bear ..They make 60 yd shots on bear and do they wound them..YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS..dO THEY LOOSE THEM, YES.........
Last edited by sproulman on Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:08 am, edited 3 times in total.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

It's hard to teach ethics because there isn't usually someone there to witness what you do as a hunter. This is why ethics and integrity go hand in hand. I also think we have to recognize that there are people out there who's personal effective range is well beyond our own. I'm not talking about someone simply 'taking' a shot but rather someone completely familiar and well practiced and experienced 'MAKING' a shot. It doesn't sound like the girl in the show is that experienced person, but as an example the first person to come to mind is Ironoggin....and I have no doubt that whatever he's shooting at, he knows exactly what that animal is doing and where his arrow is going. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Last edited by sproulman on Sun Feb 21, 2016 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

sproulman wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:It's hard to teach ethics because there isn't usually someone there to witness what you do as a hunter. This is why ethics and integrity go hand in hand. I also think we have to recognize that there are people out there who's personal effective range is well beyond our own. I'm not talking about someone simply 'taking' a shot but rather someone completely familiar and well practiced and experienced 'MAKING' a shot. It doesn't sound like the girl in the show is that experienced person, but as an example the first person to come to mind is Ironoggin....and I have no doubt that whatever he's shooting at, he knows exactly what that animal is doing and where his arrow is going. :wink:

Paul
Paul almost all in my area practice out to 50 yards ...When they see bear/deer at 100 yds they just guess and hold over it s back and shoot ..I saw 3 people get out of truck road hunting to shoot doe..The doe was at about 100 yds.They all pulled up and older gent said,1 ,2,3 SHOOT and arrows flew..That is UNETHICAL hunters not in GANG...As for ethical hunter ones I know that practice out to 50 yards still only shoot to 35 yds max and mostly 30 yds..IN GANGS in woods driving deer/bear all ETHICAL hunter goes out the window..Shots are taken way over 50 yards ..EXCITEMENT of bear RUNNING by is too much and they SHOOT...SHOOT, SHOOT, SHOOT no ethical hunting NO DISTANCE IS TAKEN A LOOK AT..They are wounding and losing the big game as no crew will spend day looking for just 1 bear they move on after a short time looking for wounded bear..

These gang hunters which I was driving deer/bear for longtime do not even spend time looking for arrows ,they shoot and move on ...If some do not like my info I will delete it but it is truth and I may delete tonight as some may feel its offensive..
That's disgusting. Sounds to me that these guys spent some time on the Suffield Military Base!....oops I meant to just think that. What I meant is it sounds like they'd do better hunting gators in the Louisiana swamps with Troy Landry.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Paul ,you are right..The world is changing and there are not ethical dads around to tell young kids right way..There are some no doubt I see it..It seems that kill is more important than having fun but when I grew up there was LOTS of deer..You would see 25 a drive easy ,now you may see 2 a day and many days none.....So hunters are DESPERATE even ones like me that seen good years here in 60s in nc pa...So fast longer ranging crossbow does sell here locally ..Going to delete my info before someone may get offended and say it AINT SO SPROUL..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Timbrhuntr wrote:Just on that very point I watched a hunting show Winchester Deadly Passion with Melissa Bachman last night and she was chasing mule deer out west. She, with a guide were stalking mule deer in velvet and couldn't get real close. She took 2 shots at nice bucks at long distance. The first she misjudged and missed and the second she shot in the neck and luckily for her she must have hit the spine because it went right down. Then they talked about what a great shot she made . I lost a lost of respect for her right there. Last year on the last morning of my whitetail hunt in Kansas a giant typical 10 point walked out and crossed the field in front of me. I ranged him broadside at 58 yards. I know with my exomax I could make that shot on a target all day long but I let him walk and hope to see him this fall but closer. I would have likely hung up my bow if I had tried that shot and it went wrong and I lost that amazing deer due to it ! Some of these TV hunters make it seem like its no big deal and just part of the game ! Sad !
You truly are ethical hunter but you are in the minority..Most would have taken that shot and much longer..They just hold at top of back and let go...I as you left MANY bucks walk I would say about 80 in 52 years ..Some with 12 points big necks and bodys..My recurve with cedar arrows was about 30 yards max and at times big bucks would not show out in open until dark...Your treestands then were a piece of 3/4 inch plywood jammed between 2 trees and you used ploe climber spikes on your boots to get up tree...About 5 years ago I thought,SPROUL I WONDER IF YOU CAN USE YOUR SPIKES ON TREE..That was mistake almost put me in hospital with MY CROWN JEWELS BROKEN..LOL..
Cossack

Post by Cossack »

For me it's all about the hunt. If I want to kill at long range I can use a rifle or even one of my scoped handguns.
Vortex, Phoenix, single-shot rifles and handguns.
Incurable tinkerer.
Why hunt? Simple, it's BASIC. Why breath?!
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Cossack wrote:For me it's all about the hunt. If I want to kill at long range I can use a rifle or even one of my scoped handguns.
Very well said but we are getting less and less each year .....I had to think on your comments LATELY I just enjoy walking to treestand in warmer weather with less hunters and waiting for Buck..It is way harder now to see Buck in pa too and get close shot as they are spooky from all pressure that is on Bucks that are left..We have like 2 bucks say in a few miles vrs 20 Bucks in few miles years ago ...But I guess its warmer time of year and leaves color I now enjoy and looking out and seeing my dad and 8 uncles driving deer in 60s to us kids sadly they are gone and so are BUCKS...