Carbon arrow tuning question

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Carbon arrow tuning question

Post by sproulman »

I never used a Carbon arrow until now.On alum arrows at club they used to spin them and look for wobble at point.Then heat point at insert and turn it to get wobble out and arrow spins like top..

How do you do this with Carbon arrows if needed..? Also they used small washer between point /inserts do you use those on Carbon arrows?
Boo

Re: Carbon arrow tuning question

Post by Boo »

Those were the old days and good riddance. Most people now use a cyanoacrylic type glue (crazy glue) which is meant to be permanent. Fit between the insert and the shaft is far better than the old days. So much so that good inserts like the ones Black Eagle Arrows make, go in with little to no slop and the face of the inserts are pretty square to the shaft. However, it is far easlier to run the insert once it is installed on the shaft on an ASD. An arrow squaring device.
The good news is that most modern day broadheads are very straight.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:Those were the old days and good riddance. Most people now use a cyanoacrylic type glue (crazy glue) which is meant to be permanent. Fit between the insert and the shaft is far better than the old days. So much so that good inserts like the ones Black Eagle Arrows make, go in with little to no slop and the face of the inserts are pretty square to the shaft. However, it is far easlier to run the insert once it is installed on the shaft on an ASD. An arrow squaring device.
The good news is that most modern day broadheads are very straight.
Boy I am getting forgetful of all things we have done..lol..
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Now I need advice ..I am using SPITFIRE 100 gr for hunting..I took my target points that look like spitfires but they have blades different than hunting ones..They are target spitfire same weight..

I took my custom carbon arrows and spun them on points.regulat 100 gr points spun no wobble,the SPITFIRE target points spun no wobble..Took the spitfire hunting points with razor inserts and I get wobble on certain arrows and if I change to another point in pack some wobble others do not...If you move points around arrow that wobbled may not wobble with different point out of pack ..

How do you all handle this?

Post by newbie »

Have you squared the inserts?
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
farm3rbrian

Post by farm3rbrian »

Boo or other forum members. Can you supply a name of a reputable dealer who carries things like squaring tools, fletching tools etc.? Preferably in Canada, but all will be considered. Thanks
Lord, make my words as sweet as honey, for tomorrow I may have to eat them. (My Mother)
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I am surprised to here that they use a permanent glue. I have swtched the inserts on my arrows 3 times now messing with the weight and how would you do this with a permanent glue. On some of the shafts I bought the knocks are glued in I am assuming with this permanent glue so now I am stuck with them and can`t replace the knocks. Am I missing something here !
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I also had a string which had the serving glued boy what a bi$/h that was trying tpo get off to reserve it !
jody5252

Post by jody5252 »

farm3rbrian wrote:Boo or other forum members. Can you supply a name of a reputable dealer who carries things like squaring tools, fletching tools etc.? Preferably in Canada, but all will be considered. Thanks
G5 makes the squaring tool... A wise investment. For arrow fletching tools, search Lancaster Archery Supply. An easy to use web site and excellent customer service. They carry all the basics, that you would need...
Exocet 200 & Micro 315 2219 Magnums-Flex Fletch SK200/300 Vanes-10 Point and Sightmark Scope-Single post quiver mts.-Vixenmaster/Trinity/8 pt.Flemish Strings-Dirt-Nap100/125 gr.-Lumenoks
Boo

Post by Boo »

farm3rbrian wrote:Boo or other forum members. Can you supply a name of a reputable dealer who carries things like squaring tools, fletching tools etc.? Preferably in Canada, but all will be considered. Thanks
Archer's Nook
Some people just like stepping on rakes

Post by newbie »

Boo wrote:
Archer's Nook
X2 great people to deal with!
Timbrhuntr wrote:I am surprised to here that they use a permanent glue. I have swtched the inserts on my arrows 3 times now messing with the weight and how would you do this with a permanent glue. On some of the shafts I bought the knocks are glued in I am assuming with this permanent glue so now I am stuck with them and can`t replace the knocks. Am I missing something here !
I dont want to loose my inserts with broadheads or FT in my rhino block.
Some guys swear by hot melt or the likes but it only takes one in a target and you wont want to use it again for fear of ruining more arrows.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

Thanks for the info newbie. A number of years ago when I first started messing around with making up my own arrows I purchased a few hot glue tubes. I was told to use them instead of permanent glue so I could change the inserts if required later. I was told the glue was high temp that they used for inserts.I have been using it and have never had an insert come out in a target or otherwise. Unfortunately I am on the last tube and don't know what the name of it was to get more if they still have.

and x3 on Archer's Nook I have been dealing with them for years and they have always been very helpful and professional plus I can order items online and not need to drive all the way to London.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

newbie wrote:Have you squared the inserts?
No, These are custom arrows so I assumed brian did that.Started to think that BOO comment that points are not perfect balanced.. These SPITFIRES were made in 96..The one spitfire that seems to work on all arrows the blades are even with vanes but other 2 are not...Other 2 seem to show a little wobble not much.Regular field points no wobble on all arrows and Spitfire target points no wobble at all on all arrows only 2 of hunting spitfires out of pack of 3 wobble...

so will squaring inserts correct this or do you think it is points ...