Custom Matrix

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Shadytree

Custom Matrix

Post by Shadytree »

Never one to leave well enough alone, I decided that a custom Matrix was going to be the set up for me. I have been working on it for a few weeks here and there. Still a lot to do, but it is starting to look like something.
Last edited by Shadytree on Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Shadytree

Re: Custom Crossbow - too much free time

Post by Shadytree »

The stock is a layer of 3/8" 7075 aluminum & Ipe. The barrel is D2 tool steel, that I have some beveling work left to do before I send it out for hardening. The trigger is a bull pup design with a two stage mechanism that is housed in the grip.
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

Also of interest, I picked up an Acudraw on the cheap as someone had tried to remove it with what looked like a vice, hammer & screwdriver. I thought it would be a good start since I was discarding a lot of the parts anyway. However, with all the time I have repairing it and acquiring parts, I should have just bought new. I am very impressed with the sturdiniess of the design. I know it is not recommend for the Matrix 380. I think that is for 2 reasons. One, the connection to the stock is a bit lame. It is unnecessarily complex and overall a weak point in the system. Two, the cord is marginal for higher draw weights. Correcting those problems, you could use the rest of the system to pull your car out of a ditch.
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Whoa! Man you sure enuff have a Custom crossbow in the works fer sure. Congrats that some nice home Engineerin you have been doin :)
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
agingcrossbower

Post by agingcrossbower »

Just when ya think that you have seen it all. Keep posting pics. Cool, Very Cool. :D
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

agingcrossbower wrote:Just when ya think that you have seen it all. Keep posting pics. Cool, Very Cool. :D
Thanks, I plan to update progress with pics. Everything is just getting roughed out right now. I still have to fabricate the handguard, cheek rest, trigger, quiver, & sling mount. Then it all goes out for anodizing.
munch

Post by munch »

Nice work look forward to see the finished bow
PUT IT IN THE BAG MARLIN ( #$%^ you it"ll bite)
BAD NEWS TRAVELS FAST
[email protected]
munchmounts channel utube
munchmounts facebook
snuffbox

Post by snuffbox »

Excellent bit of work there .
Looking forward to seeing how this progresses.
LoneWolf45

Post by LoneWolf45 »

I cannot wait to see the completed project!
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

Looks pretty cool! 8)
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
TenshiB

Post by TenshiB »

VERY interesting.
Axiom with a Murphy's G String
Older Exomax with Triggertech Trigger
Nikon Bolt xr
Vortex Viper xbr
Firebolts with 150gr Boltcutters
Executioners with 125gr G5 Strikers
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Look's nice and very interesting :wink: You may of listed it, but I'm wondering what draw length and resulting speed you are going for? Will the overall length and weight be similar to that of a matrix.?

Now I see why you allowed me to buy your rail.... Thank's again

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
Shadytree

Post by Shadytree »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Look's nice and very interesting :wink: You may of listed it, but I'm wondering what draw length and resulting speed you are going for? Will the overall length and weight be similar to that of a matrix.?

Now I see why you allowed me to buy your rail.... Thank's again

Gene
As you know I started with a Matrix 380. After a cracking a set of limbs on the 380 in its stock configuration, I decided that when I built this I was going to reduce the power stroke. I opted to go in between a 355 & 380 with a 3/8" reduction in power stroke.
The overall length is 28 inches from limb bolts to buttstock. Weight is not a consideration in my design criteria. I spent my younger years lugging around a 14 pound rifle in the military. I prefer a bit of weight to steady my hold. It is surprising how much different this crossbow feels just to hold compared to the stock matrix. Everything is solid, meaning there are no voids and you can feel it. I am hoping to have a quieter shooting bow.
It is going to have a nice single point sling setup also. That will help with carry as I will be able to have it on my side. Currently, I don't use a sling because it interferes with my backpack when hunting.
Let me know when you get the rail.
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I can't wait to see the finished project and hopefully watch it progess in up-dates and pictures here on the forum.

I sould have mentioned or sent a PM :oops: but I picked the rail up yesterday at the PO.... It looks great ! :D Now, when the rest of the parts arrive and I get it all together, 8)
I'm not sure if I mentioned it (?) but, I've decided to built a new Matrix 380 from the ground up as I have located a stock , ordered a set of new ( in house) limbs, and found a Boo trigger and riser. I'll be leaving the 355 Matrix as it is, and likely have a 3rd bow in my signature in a couple weeks. :D

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
j.krug

Post by j.krug »

Custom crossbow indeed!! Looking forward to more pics as you progress. :)
Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.

Vortex
Trigger Tech 2.5 Trigger
ShadowZone Scope
S5 with dB Killer Bumpers
Boo String
Big John Zombie Slayers
Rage Broadheads