best crossbow target

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

ThunderXB

best crossbow target

Post by ThunderXB »

Other than a deer, what is generally thought to be the best crossbow practice target.

I have an older block, but it was hard to pull out arrows from my vertical bow, going to be brutal with a crossbow.
Bulldog 400, Hawke XB30, JBK string, Dr S, TriggerT
405 Matrix, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
405 Matrix Blackout, XBR, HAA, DM string, TT, ti64
va3cgt

Re: best crossbow target

Post by va3cgt »

Rinehart
W.Miguire

Post by W.Miguire »

a bag target will hold up good for your field tips and a block for your BH's
W.M.
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

I've got a Spyderweb crossbow target, a Block, the Cube, Morrell Outdoor Range, and Bulldog for bag style targets. The very best, imho, and my favorite happens to be the least expensive and that's the Third Hand Archery Rag Bag Target. For broadheads, any Rhinehart Target. You really need a pair of Danny Miller plier pullers. Your only regret is not getting one sooner.

Paul
Last edited by paulaboutform on Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Hey Paul, I have a Rhino block, and even though I have Danny Miller pliers I use my hands, and never have an issue removing them, my pliers are for extinguishing my Luminocs. Do you give the arrow a twist first ???? I find you have to give it a twist and then pull. I wonder if their recipe changes a little causing some targets to have this removal issue.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
coolhl

Post by coolhl »

Twisting a carbon arrow can ruin the fibers from what I have read...best to do a straight pull back. norm
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

Well, I've had no issues with that so far.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Bullzeye wrote:Hey Paul, I have a Rhino block, and even though I have Danny Miller pliers I use my hands, and never have an issue removing them, my pliers are for extinguishing my Luminocs. Do you give the arrow a twist first ???? I find you have to give it a twist and then pull. I wonder if their recipe changes a little causing some targets to have this removal issue.
I can remove them by hand from my rhinoblock but it's a heck of a lot tougher. You can give field points a small twist to break the heat seal created from friction "melting" the target material to the arrow. You don't want to twist broadheads. I also shoot toxic broadheads and those are tough to pull. Basically, the Danny Miller plier pullers just make pulling arrows easier...much easier. :wink:

Paul

Post by newbie »

paulaboutform wrote:
Bullzeye wrote:Hey Paul, I have a Rhino block, and even though I have Danny Miller pliers I use my hands, and never have an issue removing them, my pliers are for extinguishing my Luminocs. Do you give the arrow a twist first ???? I find you have to give it a twist and then pull. I wonder if their recipe changes a little causing some targets to have this removal issue.
I can remove them by hand from my rhinoblock but it's a heck of a lot tougher. You can give field points a small twist to break the heat seal created from friction "melting" the target material to the arrow. You don't want to twist broadheads. I also shoot toxic broadheads and those are tough to pull. Basically, the Danny Miller plier pullers just make pulling arrows easier...much easier. :wink:

Paul
This^ Danny's pliers are worth their weight in gold.
Kandy-a.k.a Raid
Midge- a.k.a Micro 335
SSAS Spynal Tapps-Original
100 Grn 2" Shwacker
Boo threads
Don't wreck the fun house!
JUDGE

Post by JUDGE »

I wax my practice arrow and they don't stick, easier to pullout.
Retired from the Working World

MICRO 355
50 CAL Traditions Pursuit
Mosburg 100ATR 30-06
Henry Lever 22lr
Mosburg 500
Savage 243
flightattendant100

Post by flightattendant100 »

I think the worst sticking is the labels. If you shoot into a Rinehart deep enough to get to the painted label, they pretty well weld up! A little scorpion venom helps too, but X10 on Danny's pliers.
Bullzeye

Post by Bullzeye »

paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
Because of you Paul I also use Toxic's, but to practice with them I just make a mini rag bag out of a reusable grocery bag and I use a marker to make dots on it and I fill it will layers of fleece blanket. At the end of practice I just throw out the $.99 bag and stuff the fleece into a new bag.
Exocet 200
S5 System
Shadowzone
Timbrhuntr

Post by Timbrhuntr »

I have a rinehart 18-1 target and really like it. i also put a little wax on the arrow when shooting especially when its cold out seems to stop the target from melting and attaching to the arrow as much.
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I took my feed bag full of rags not blue jeans been using this idea for at least 40 years..I bought the big rubbermade or cheaper plastic containers and bag fits right in it..then I put it level with my shooting table at 20 yards..After done you just snap lid on and leave it out in rain/snow or easy to carry in..Works real nice..behind bag inside I put old carpet incase arrow does go thru the bag..
paulaboutform

Post by paulaboutform »

Bullzeye wrote:
paulaboutform wrote:

Paul
Because of you Paul I also use Toxic's, but to practice with them I just make a mini rag bag out of a reusable grocery bag and I use a marker to make dots on it and I fill it will layers of fleece blanket. At the end of practice I just throw out the $.99 bag and stuff the fleece into a new bag.
What a brilliant idea! I love that. To be honest, I actually test my toxics at my club as we have broadhead and old 3D targets for our use. How are you finding your toxics are flying for you? ...I hope you're liking them. :wink:

Paul