Vertical Addiction!

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

xcaliber

Vertical Addiction!

Post by xcaliber »

Well, I purchased a Hoyt Vector 32 last year, but never hunted with her. I love it, and love my PSE Brute "X" as well. Recently though I have been checking out the Defiant 34 from Hoyt, and they are my favorite vertical compound choice as many here know. I have not had the opportunity to shoot one, and look here to ask if anyone has first hand knowledge / experience with one. I'm all in on one, but certainly appreciate some input!

Thanks,
Dan
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
paulaboutform

Re: Vertical Addiction!

Post by paulaboutform »

Hey Dan, I started out years ago shooting a Hoyt for Monson's and loved my Hoyts. I then went to P.S.E.s for Porcupine. Well, a couple years ago I went back to Hoyt because of shoulder injuries. I had the 2014 and 2015 Carbon Spyder 34's. Like all the Hoyts, gentle, smooth, and a joy to shoot. Regardless of the models, I find they are mostly all drawing the same with the biggest difference being the basic balance....the speed bows being the exception to that. For 2016 I've gone back to P.S.E. having picked up their new Decrea in black skull camo. As much as I love the Hoyts, you should really take this bow for a test drive. I shot the bare bow with nothing on it but a d-loop and whisker biscuit and was amazed at how completely dead in the hand it was. I can tell you, you'll LOVE the new Hoyt but you owe it to yourself to at least check out the pse decrea. :mrgreen:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Thanks Paul. PSE has really come back strong in recent years. I may just have to follow your advice. :wink:
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Dan, x2 on what Paul said the new PSE is sweet.. I just can't convince myself to change $$$ from my PSE Brute in Skull work camo .
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have always liked my Brute "X" so another PSE is not out of the question. The Defiant does interest me though. :? :roll:
Big John

Post by Big John »

Ahhh yes, the Vert addiction. 8)
Had that for many years as well. I cant recall how many Compounds I've owned, quite a few though. I have tried as many as possible whenever I have the chance. As of recent years I am hooked on a Custom Made Mathews Chill R. 70# 30"in.
With just the bare bow shooting test I loved it. Then ordered one made the way I wanted. After it arrived I had Mathews ship a box full of Custom accessories, then a few other goodies, and now a Bow that truly is "Dead" in the hand and extremely quiet! :shock: I like Hoyt but, this bow is Smokin' fast and quiet. Two things I love in a bow. :D
Finding the right one is all the fun! Try a bunch and then choose, might be a different one even! :wink:

Big John
Phoenix - 375 gr. BEE's (babyneilsons)
Micro 315 - 410 gr. Zombies/Lumenoks
Micro 355. - Punisher-Zombies/Lumenoks

Arrowmaker - Retired
[email protected]
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

I'm really likin the Mission Ballistic 2.0,,
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

I have looked at several bows, and the Defiant still has my interest. I have decided to put Vapor Trail strings and cables on my Vector 32, and shoot the snot out of her to get back in good form. I will also shoot more with my Brute X. I need to tame the addiction down a bit! If I get too wound up, I might go looking again though, come on Spring! :wink:
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

are vertical bows really archery hunting? :lol: i had too...... :mrgreen:
Hester0305

Post by Hester0305 »

Hey Dan I had a Hoyt Vector 32 and 2 Vector 35's loved them all, I now shoot an Elite Energy 35 for 3D archery and I like it better. The Elite is easier to draw and hold at full draw, I haven't shot the Defiant hope you find one to shoot and see how you like it, good luck and have fun shooting.
Stryker Katana 360
Black Eagle Zombie Slayers
TruGlo Titanium X Hybrid Broadheads
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Eric, I have never shot an Elite, and keep wanting to. I have heard so many good things about them, and Masboy almost got me try one after he got his. I might just have to give them a try. I did find a great deal on a new 2015 leftover model. :? :roll: You guys are enablers! :lol: :lol:
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

OK, I have an archery dealer in Wisconsin that has last years model of the Elite Synergy in a Lefty that is willing to swap mods at cost. I think i can reel it in for under $710. brand new, with full warranty, hat, key chain, etc. It is a Flat Black model, but very nice, axle to axle @ 33.5" with 7.38" brace, and 330 FPS IBO. I'm seriously considering this one. For my wife's sake, talk me out of it! :lol: :lol:
wheelie

Post by wheelie »

Got a Hoyt 2012 Rampage and a 2010 TurboHawk bought new. Have a lot of fun shooting my 40lb Diamond by Bowtech Edge. Got top equipment on all three bows. They get most of my shooting time.. Few years ago I spent a whole year only shooting crossbow because of my bad back. A collapse on the hockey rink made my back get considerably better. Spent another crossbow year when I pulled a muscle in my forearm from Compound from shooting to much. See what happens this summer as I ripped my shoulder a few months ago from hockey. Sucks getting old but I bought new goal pads and gloves on Black Friday. I am playing through my shoulder injury but it is not getting any worse. Hope to play hockey into my sixties now and that is not to far away. HMMMM! :lol:
Also got a Mission Craze for bowfishing. Heading to United States the second weekend of July to shoot stingray in the Atlantic Ocean. Four of us heading down. Can't wait! :D
Reinyrooster

Post by Reinyrooster »

My first, and favourite vertical bows are the Oneidas. The smoothest pulling bow ever in my opinion. Maybe not the fastest, but smooth and quiet. My last vertical before shoulder problems caused me to switch to the xbow was the PSE Axe 6. Great bow.
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

The seller contacted me today, and it's my move now. I'm going to mull it over until mid week, then see what happens!