deer jumping the string with axiom . vixen 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

longbow joe

deer jumping the string with axiom . vixen 2

Post by longbow joe »

My longbow only shoots a whopping 180 or so fps and i killed tons a deer with it but its also extremely quiet.i saw a you tube video where an alert doe almost jumped the string of an axiom at 40 yards ....hit was higher but still fatal i was wondering your experiences with these slower crossbows im probably gonna not shoot furter than 30 yards or so with the vixen 2 but i was wondering your experiences with these "slower crossbows".when i went from recurve to the quieter longbow the string jumping ended even though the longbow was slower it was much quieter n didnt have the limb slap noise .basically im comparing limb slap to noise to crossbow twap.the vixens about 60 fps faster than a recurve i would assume.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
Boo

Re: deer jumping the string with axiom . vixen 2

Post by Boo »

I think speed is a lesser issue to distance. Fourth yards is pushing it on a deer that isn't perfectly relaxed. I also think that deer see the flex of a bows limb. While deer expect to hear noises, sudden movement is almost always a predator launching an attack. Longbow are much more narrow limbed bows.
Just a thought from the cheap seats.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
bobcat

Post by bobcat »

i did the math a couple times. when speed of sound is over 1100 fps the difference from a 250fps bow and a 350 fps bow isnt much in the realm of things. Granted quieter is better as to weather or not they will react but alert is the key. if you are alert to the fact that someone is in your house at night you will react to a whisper at the same speed as a spoken word. you will hear them at the same "speed". But if you are only half awake and hear a whisper and arent thinking about danger you might not react as quickly as if you plainly heard someone talking. loud has nothing to do with speed. But it does with weather or not they react.
i think the trick is not to shoot at alert deer. or if you are going to make sure you hold at the bottom of your kill zone. lower is always better to make them leak anyway.
Granted im new to crossbows but not archery hunting. and not matter what people "believe" you cant argue with math.
coop

Post by coop »

Using a 435gr arrow and a vortex, I had a TX doe that had smelled me come in but she was on pins and needles and it was dead calm. She was 22 yds and dropped and twisted so bad at shot it actually hit top of shoulder but she had twisted so much it came out half way point of neck and cut juggler. I've not had one move enough to make a difference shooting 350 or faster...at least yet!
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
Shotnbeer

Post by Shotnbeer »

I shoot a Vortex and limit my shots to 30 Yds. I'm probably good to 50 but if I have a deer at 30 that thinks something is up I'll pass. I've shot quit a few and they never heard the twang.
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

I don't own a bow that shoots under 330 fps with hunting weight arrow, out to 40 yards I have not had a single one come close to ducking or twisting out of the shot. yet, and have taken dozens.

I also have never left deer watch me shoot them, if they are looking I wait, I have had several look and think they see me, but not sure, stomp, look away and swiftly turn back, these are the times years of watching and learning the deer's body language pays off. Timing is everything in this situation in my experience. But with over 325 fps of little concern to me.
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

The difference between a 300fps and 350fps arrow is minor compared to the other factors you can control. I shot an alert doe that was standing broadsided at 37 yards. Something had jumped her up and she ran up on me and stopped. I ranged her and since she was looking away from me I decided to take the shot. My arrow was flying an honest 350+fps from an Exomax. From the time I pulled the trigger until the arrow impacted this doe performed a scene out of the Matrix movies. I was aiming for just behind the left front shoulder. My arrow impacted the right hind quarter. Yes, she turned almost 180 degrees before impact. I was lucky that my wide cutting broadhead clipped the femoral artery and she didn't make it 30 yards.

That scenario taught me to avoid shots over 30 yards at alert deer. Even at 350fps things can end up very badly.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Thanks for the input. I know vixenmaster killed a lot of deer with these bows hopfully hell chime in .
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

I've killed several deer and a few hogs with my Vixen shooting 281fps. My longest shot was a doe this year @ 32yds, closest a spike at five yards. I've had no issues but as previously stated don't shoot at alert deer. :)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
Limbs and Sticks

Post by Limbs and Sticks »

Those bad hits or misses are a result of the deer already leaving when one shoots, to me jumping the string is another term to use to sell you more stuff to buy, silent string coming to your home town soon. Never believed in jumping the string
"Maxine"
1.75x5 Burris scope
Boo string
STS
Feathered easton 2020's
Magnus stingers
coop

Post by coop »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Those bad hits or misses are a result of the deer already leaving when one shoots, to me jumping the string is another term to use to sell you more stuff to buy, silent string coming to your home town soon. Never believed in jumping the string
You might not believe it, but its a fact on small athletic Texas deer on a calm day, trust me I have hunted them my whole life. No animal on the planet can move like a TX whitetail.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

With crossbow or bow I try and aim for the lower 1/3 rd of the deer so that way if they jump or drop I hit the pump station . If they stay still again I hit the pump station .
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Folks I had bucks jump at 15 yards with quiet fred bear recurve with cedar arrows..If you shoot at alert deer they can jump...If you shoot over 30 yards at alert deer samething..I let at least 80 bucks walk because theywre alert I AM NOT WOUNDING A BUCK...
Tom

Post by Tom »

Limbs and Sticks wrote:Those bad hits or misses are a result of the deer already leaving when one shoots, to me jumping the string is another term to use to sell you more stuff to buy, silent string coming to your home town soon. Never believed in jumping the string
Sorry but deer can and will on ocassion " jump the string ".

For a deer to keep surviving, they must react quickly to threats and most unknown noises are a danger or a threat. If a deer is looking at you, forget about it, they can see things quicker then they will hear something.

I do believe the term " jumping the string " is misleading. There is a lot of sound when shooting a crossbow, but there is more sound then that. Your arrow in flight makes a tremendous amount of sound. Some fletchings will make more noise then others. As well, the faster the arrow, the more noise it will make cutting the air in flight and that sound is coming directly at the deer.

As was mentioned above, the math speaks loudly. No matter the speed of the arrow, you need to keep shots within reason distance wise so that " speed of sound is greater then reaction time+arrow travel time "

Tom
Tom
[img]http://hometown.aol.com/wingbonecall/images/turkey.gif[/img]