deer jumping the string with axiom . vixen 2

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: deer jumping the string with axiom . vixen 2

Post by paulaboutform »

coop wrote:
Limbs and Sticks wrote:Those bad hits or misses are a result of the deer already leaving when one shoots, to me jumping the string is another term to use to sell you more stuff to buy, silent string coming to your home town soon. Never believed in jumping the string
You might not believe it, but its a fact on small athletic Texas deer on a calm day, trust me I have hunted them my whole life. No animal on the planet can move like a TX whitetail.
I don't know about that. I've been hunting in South Texas and watched an Axis buck at a water hole get startled by a frog. That thing hit the deck and bounced ten feet back faster than the blink of an eye. :wink:

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
manitou1

Post by manitou1 »

I have seen a video several years ago and watched it several times where deer "duck" the string by hearing something and loading their legs for that first bound. It takes 3/10ths of a second for a deer to drop 16" in that case. Faster does help... how long does it take for a 350-390 fps bolt to travel that distance, then the deer to register and react? A 300 fps arrow travels a hundred yards in a second. Think about it. Yep, it happens, but IMO, they see something coming at them or see the quick movement upon release and their first inclination is to bolt. Deer have an incredible ability to see sideways (peripheral) and often you will notice just after they figure something is up, they will put their head down like feeding, but never take a bite, but raise their head back up. Scientists believe it is a ploy to confirm their suspicions by getting whatever they "feel" or think they may have seen to move. Even with their heads down, if they sense something may not be right, they ARE watching for movement and can pick movement up just as readily whether they are looking at you or seeing it at a 90 degree from the side. There have been new studies released the past year verifying the phenominal ability they have to pick up movement in a 270 degree plus perimeter from straight line of sight.
coop

Post by coop »

Yes on small TX deer using a Vortex I had several very alert deer move and twist before impact even at 22 yds. I always aim a little low right at heart just in case.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
galamb

Post by galamb »

I shoot a Vix II, shot a 150 pound Horton for many years before that (equally as fast or slow depending your perspective).

I never had a deer "jump the string" with either bow.

Hunting with my recurve, on a couple of occasions, during the draw I did have a finger rub/brush one of the feathers and that sent Bambi packing at high speed.

The speed of sound is over 1100 fps - there is no bow out there that is "faster", so whether it's shooting 280 or 350, the sound still gets there 3 times faster than the arrow.

So if you are taking a shot, particularly a long shot on a deer that's already a little spooked or on edge, your odds have already dropped dramatically.

Bow hunting, whether with a horizontal or vertical bow is an "up close sport" with a relaxed target. If you just have to take that long shot, there is always a rifle season....
Graham

Micro 340TD, 17" Gold Tip Ballistics (180 gr inserts) - 125 gr Iron Will/VPA/TOTA (504 grains total/21.6% FOC) @ 301 FPS
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Boo wrote:I think speed is a lesser issue to distance. Fourth yards is pushing it on a deer that isn't perfectly relaxed. I also think that deer see the flex of a bows limb. While deer expect to hear noises, sudden movement is almost always a predator launching an attack. Longbow are much more narrow limbed bows.
Just a thought from the cheap seats.

Go to head of class..I never shoot over 35 yards with any bow to much respect for a Buck....
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

galamb wrote:I shoot a Vix II, shot a 150 pound Horton for many years before that (equally as fast or slow depending your perspective).

I never had a deer "jump the string" with either bow.

Hunting with my recurve, on a couple of occasions, during the draw I did have a finger rub/brush one of the feathers and that sent Bambi packing at high speed.

The speed of sound is over 1100 fps - there is no bow out there that is "faster", so whether it's shooting 280 or 350, the sound still gets there 3 times faster than the arrow.

So if you are taking a shot, particularly a long shot on a deer that's already a little spooked or on edge, your odds have already dropped dramatically.

Bow hunting, whether with a horizontal or vertical bow is an "up close sport" with a relaxed target. If you just have to take that long shot, there is always a rifle season....

I thought at times I was alone here..Very good ...
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

As said...sound gets there first regardless of arrow/bow. IMHO - The loudness or quietness matters not as my theory is the sound is un-natural and therefore alarming. The specific deer's personality, experiences in it's environment and individuality all "condition" it's response when it hears that "alarming noise" just prior to it making contact. I've seen deer that were spooked stare at me motionless as the arrow passed through it, and I've seen one's feeding calmly for 1/2 hour..drop to their knees and watch the arrow hit them high in the lungs.

I don't think distance, speed, noise level play much into the equation once you factor in how fast something startles/tenses when it's in an "un-alert" mode and is suddenly spooked.

Aiming low in chest works as insurance on deer "lost in thought" although I personally like to "alert" them AS I release/squeeze trigger with a mouthed grunt noise and eliminate the possibility of spooking them (at the cost of giving away my presence). I've yet to see a deer move as the arrow hit it, and in fact I believe they unanimously tense up long before the arrow arrives and enhance the broadhead's cut upon delivery.
Just my experience, but it works for me.
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1