Bolt Length vs Spine Stiffness vs Accuracy

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

CT.HNTR

Bolt Length vs Spine Stiffness vs Accuracy

Post by CT.HNTR »

Has anybody done any testing to determine if shorter bolts are more or less accurate over longer bolts? I currently shoot 18 inch bolts with 2.00 Blazers. I have been contemplating trying 16-17 inch bolts and was wondering if they would be more or less accurate. I expect the shorter bolt will be stiffer which should be good but with the longer 18 inch bolts the fletching may steer better as it is farther away from the broadhead.

Just wondering if anybody has done any testing with different bolt lengths and if so what were your results?
Matrix Bulldog 440
BOO Custom Strings
Vortex Crossfire II
18 Inch Zombies with 110 Grain Brass Inserts
125 Grain Slick tricks
2 Inch Blazer Vanes with Right Helical
longbow joe

Re: Bolt Length vs Spine Stiffness vs Accuracy

Post by longbow joe »

One or 2 inches is not going to make much of a difference in impact or flight your only shaving like 20 grains off. The main reason most of us cut our arras is so the broadhead is outta the stirrup when your hunting n hang it on a hook it dosnt get in the way.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
racking up points

Post by racking up points »

I played with 17" arrows out of my 410 last year and within 50y there was little noticeable difference. But beyond that, the shorter arrows wouldn't group as consistently as my 18" arrows. That's probably the reason you don't see a lot of Micro shooters boasting about their long range shooting.

I like my finished arrows with broadhead and lumenock to be within the stirrup, so I will make them as long as I can. My 410 can take up to an 18.5" arrow, so that's what length I'm going with. My Micro and Matrix 310 take 16" arrows.
Leupold Optics
Boo Custom Strings
Black Eagle Arrows
Ti64.com Fastener Kits
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

I do not shoot buck past 35 yds so most likely at 16 inch arrow out of my Micro 335 would be fine..My custom arrow maker made my arrows 18 inch with total weight of 395 grs..Quills are 16.5 inchs and weight 401 grs..Both arrows shoot to same holes at 30 yards BUT out at 50 yards the 18 inch arrows group much better like just over 1 inch ...You can see his test on youtube..MICRO 335 CUSTOM ARROWS BORKHOLDER ARCHERY...
Boo

Post by Boo »

There are only 3 ways of keeping an arrow on track, weight up front, rotation of the shaft and drag from the rear.
Assuming you're using the most amount of steering by way of fletching, so the only way to compensate for the lack of leverage (shorter shaft), is by increasing your weight up front.
The good part about shortening your shaft is it gets stiffer and straighter, so a better shaft becomes less beneficial. But consistency is imparitive, so don't be afraid of using 0.003" Executioner shafts.
You didn't mention what weight front insert you're using but if you're using a 110 gr insert, you'll be good.
Some people just like stepping on rakes
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

Great info on shorter shaft..Take a 16.5 inch quill and shoot at 50 yds and they will not group great at 401 grs.Take a 18 inch arrow with 110 gr insert and 100 gr point and get great 1 inch or so groups at 50 yds..So is shorter arrow not as good at 50 yards?
Troubleshooter

Post by Troubleshooter »

I'm target shooting at 100 - 150 yards and i found out that 20 inch is more accurate than the 18 inch arrows. (Diablo and firebolt, using a 380)

Good tip for having a good accuracy was also using the same cockvane every time. (mark the most accurate vane and use this is as the cockvane)
SEW

Post by SEW »

Boo wrote:There are only 3 ways of keeping an arrow on track, weight up front, rotation of the shaft and drag from the rear.
Assuming you're using the most amount of steering by way of fletching, so the only way to compensate for the lack of leverage (shorter shaft), is by increasing your weight up front.
The good part about shortening your shaft is it gets stiffer and straighter, so a better shaft becomes less beneficial. But consistency is imparitive, so don't be afraid of using 0.003" Executioner shafts.
You didn't mention what weight front insert you're using but if you're using a 110 gr insert, you'll be good.
A great summary of proven principles! Pay particular attention to Boo's statement between the balance of weight up front and drag at the back of the arrow( the more the twist/helical, weight, fletching size the greater the weight needed up front). Earlier on in my shooting/testing I didn't have enough FOC and the lightly offset fletching was more accurate than helical. However, when enough FOC was maintained helical proved to be more accurate than offset than straight.