crossbow choice or necessity ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

paulaboutform

Re: crossbow choice or necessity ?

Post by paulaboutform »

Started as necessity because of shoulder injuries but now strictly choice. :D

Paul
You're only paranoid if everyone isn't out to get you.
Keep your friends close and your enemies closer.
My enemy's friend is also my enemy.
DuckHunt

Post by DuckHunt »

paulaboutform wrote:Started as necessity because of shoulder injuries but now strictly choice. :D
I'm almost the same, except now I'm back to necessity. I got my ExoMax after a torn rotator cuff that kept me away from a vertical for few years. I was able to eventually get a few more years with my vertical. but I had to hang up my compound bow for good before last season due to my shoulder.

DuckHunt
Micro Wolverine/Matrix 350 SE
Recovering Excalaholic :lol:
Doe Master
Site Admin

Post by Doe Master »

First off I just plain enjoy hunting in different seasons . That being said , I choose to use the best tool for the season most times . I have fun shooting my compound but owe it to the quarry to dispatch them quickly and humane .
In the shotgun/muzzleloader season I use a inline .
Same goes for the turkey season . Why bring a knife to a gun fight . I use a shotgun and a crossbow .
Prone est ut nos es plurimus periculosus
Roadrunnr72

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

I have, for as long as I can remember, always wanted a crossbow. They were not legal in VA, unless you had a letter from a Dr. So to take advantage of the early season, I started with a vertical. VA then legalized Xbows, and about 2 years after, I had a sore shoulder during bow season, and didn't feel comfortable drawing. Then had the chance to sell my vertical, used that money, and a little more and bought Phoenix. Went with the Excalibur after watching Ted Nugent's "Spirit of the Wild", and he was using one. Liked the review, and the fact that there are no wheels and cams to deal with. My second Excal should be here tomorrow, a Matrix 380.

Thanks, RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
jparchery

Post by jparchery »

Choice for me. I want the most accurate and trouble free weapon possible. I can hit a 2" circle all day with my Exomag at 40 yards, no way am I that consistent with my compound bow.
Pinpoint

Post by Pinpoint »

It's a choice for me. I don't have the time to practice with a vertical bow. I believe the crossbow is the most ethical choice for me to extend my hunting opportunity. :D
2016 Matrix 350LE, Munchmount, RBB, Hawke XB1
Wolverine, Munchmount
Vixenmaster Strings
georgiaboy

Post by georgiaboy »

Right rotator cuff surgery in 02...sat out the 03 archery season and it's been a crossbow ever since. :D
Got my first excalibur ( Ibex ) in 09. 8)
Bulldog m380 blackout
Micro 355
Matrix 350LE
Vixen II
Proud member of the Georgia Meat Hunter's Association
"Shooting tomorrow's trophy's...today"
vixenmaster

Post by vixenmaster »

Became disabled in 1996 so it was best choice to stay into archery n huntin
Half Bubble Off BD360

[email protected] 417-505-9315
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

Accident messed my shoulder up in 2005, struggled for a few years trying to archery hunt and deal with the limited mobility, and pain. 2012, bought an Ibex, and the addiction began! Got back into vertical bow hunting without pain in 2013, and still rely on the Crossbows! Indiana became all inclusive with no restrictions in 2011, so the crossbows get out more than the verts! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

I find this post a little uneasy. What difference does it make ? It 's not a necessity that we hunt at all. I also have a broken bone in my neck . I also work 9-10 hours every day. I guess I CHOOSE a crossbow because I don't want to shoot a 35# compound and not to be able to lift my arm the next day . A lot of young people and older people choose a crossbow because it works better for them .That's good it grows interest in archery. Here in Wisconsin a big part of the hunting crowd don't want any one that is not handicap to use a crossbow so these kind of topics feed right into them.
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
longbow joe

Post by longbow joe »

Hurt my shoulder 2 years ago .couldnt shoot my longbow. Bought my micro n got hooked.i killed a ton of deer with my longbow in 30 years . Now my shoulders better now but i love these things im 50 i dont have anything to prove to anybody. Im gonna shoot some of them big bucks that were outta range all those years.my longbow was deadly but theres nothing like the power of these bows all i can say is that when i shoot a deer now it dies and i dont have to look for it all nite. In the end nobuddy really cares what you killed it with anyway its "archery season" lifes too short i remember knocking crossbows im over it now i enjoy hunting n the woods really dosnt matter whats in my hands thats how i see it.
Vixen 2, metal ibex,Phoenix,sapphire,matrix 330 ,matrix 355 ,vortex and baby grand piano y25 relayer.
Trigger tecs,leupold crossbones and nikon bolts.
Zombie slayers and mostly swat broadheads.
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Why is it uneasy ? I asked who is using crossbow as their choice or like some out of necessity to keep hunting that is all . If you don't like the question why answer it . I use the crossbow out of necessity . Some states you can only hunt with a crossbow out of necessity mine is one of them .
deerman41

Post by deerman41 »

I was always a rifle hunter, I used to tell everyone " The Indians would trade you a wagon load of bows and arrows for one gun". They changed deer season in south Alabama where you could only bow hunt first 10 days in Dec. so I bought a crossbow and killed a deer first time out. 3 years and 7 crossbows later, settling in with a Matrix 350LE & 330,I can say I'm hooked and on the verge of crossbow hunting only. I too have a bad rotator cuff problem and have to use a C2 crank when sighting in, I can cock it a couple of times without the C2.
Matrix 350 LE, Hawke XB 30 Pro SR,Trigger Tech, ADF,Danny Miller bumpers, Leupold Vendetta 2 rangefinder
Tactacam
18" Spynal Tapps,110 gr inserts, 100gr Sevr

Lumenoks
vixenmaster Force 10 string,
Charger EXT crank
Mo-hunter

Post by Mo-hunter »

I started because of a bad shoulder, but I would not go back to a vertical bow now because I simply enjoy shooting my ibex. It's truely amazing how accurate it is, which of course means better shot placement. I am now trying to decide between a micro 335 or matrix 330 (leaning toward the micro). I am from Missouri and we have legalized crossbows for the 2016 archery season. I am excited for everyone to have the opportunity to use a crossbow.
Dave
bloodtrail

Post by bloodtrail »

I hunt with my Excalibur because I want to.
I'd rather be shooting my Excalibur.
Matrix 405
Twilight DLX scope
BEZombies/Tactical Tapps
Grim Reaper SS BH