crossbow choice or necessity ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

JerseyJeff

Re: crossbow choice or necessity ?

Post by JerseyJeff »

Necessity. I had been bowhunting since 1981, shooting compounds, recurves and a longbow. After rotator cuff surgery on both shoulders (the rt. one was completely torn and retracted and could not be re-attached), I thought my archery hunting days were over. I was hesitant at first to try a crossbow, but after missing three seasons, I knew I just had to get back out there. Never considered any other brand than Excalibur. Now my wife has one too! :D

Jeff
Matrix 355
Axiom
NRA
UBNJ
DU
Phillyarcher

Post by Phillyarcher »

I would say both for me. I started using the crossbow when it became legal in Pennsylvania for Deer because I have a bad back that goes into spasms. I still take the compound out during early season. I used it during winter bow because it was a lot harder to take Deer with all of the clothes and not a leaf on any trees and plus the Deer have been shot at all season. It helped but still it's a challenge to take Deer during winter bow.

This conversation goes back to when compound bows first came out too. The traditional guys complained about them too. You have to remember that we are hunting and technology will keep improving. I believe if you go into the woods you should make your shot count and not wound the game you go after. Like in the one post earlier that that the guy hit a Deer with a bad shot. One thing that I would say is recovery has been great finding the Game that we have shot. One other thing about this is too that my buddies and myself are not the spring chickens we were years ago and this gives us more time in the woods to enjoy the sport that we love.

As far as the Anti's goes they are still going to be out there and to all the members we do have to stick together as sportsmen and women too. Remember the good we do and what our dollars go to help Wildlife. Remember to take a kid Fiashing or Hunting to carry on for our future.
Excal Vortex
Excal Micro 335
NAP Spitfire Max 125 grain
Hawke XB Pro 30 SR
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

Choice here.

I actually used to hate crossbows... One day last summer I finally cracked. after the umpteenth time of one of the various V bows I have owned coming out of time/tune. Drop-away not working, strings creeping, crappy "pro shop" service etc... I decided if I had to tinker anymore with the V bow, I will just quit!

I would rather hunt with a vert recurve, but just cannot master shooting one past 10 yards at game. That is more handicap than I'm willing to accept.

My quest for a crossbow as simple as a recurve did not take long...

I hunt with my Micro by choice! I'm 38 and in good health. I run and exercise regularly.

The deer hate me, and my shoulders don't ache like they used to from all the vert bow shooting.

Brian
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
nyexhunter

Post by nyexhunter »

I use one now because it is finally legal in NY, if only for two weeks; my Excalibur works better for me than my Mission vertical bow.
At some point the NY state DEC will allow crossbows for the entire archery season, however, it won't be happening this year.
Everyone eventually gets old, gets weaker, or stuff happens so that parts of your body just don't work as well as before. Those that are now opposed to crossbow inclusion for the full archery season will eventually get to the point that they get old, weaker, etc., at that point is when something else that goes along with age will kick in - they will get wiser.
I'm hoping more of the wisdom thing happens in NY soon so that more people that are not able to hunt during the entire archery season can take part and that includes the disabled, elderly and yes, even more women,that are too weak to draw back a compound vertical bow. I know a few ladies that would love to hunt during the entire archery season but can't in NY right now because the DEC says it wants to get more hunters in the woods, but is doing nothing to back up these words.
Boomer81

Post by Boomer81 »

Choice here.

Own several rifles and shotguns for various game in various areas (certain spots close to me are shotgun only so no rifles allowed for deer during gun season there).

But i decided that for the price of my out of province deer tag i want to have more than 2 weeks a year to get a crack at one!

Getting a crossbow allows me to add a few more weeks to my deer hunt and vert bows never appealed to me. I have shot a few in the past and i dont have shoulder issues, i just would rather shoot a crossbow lol
"Rumble"
Matrix 350LE Treestand Camo

"Ravage"
Micro Mag 340 Mossy Oak Camo
SEW

Post by SEW »

I'm 69 in 2 weeks but still hunt with vrecurve and Excaliber (380&405). Almost no "gun" (pistol,BP,SG) here in NE AR.
Fortunately, I've been blessed by great health which has allowed Xbow usage being a choice.