crossbow choice or necessity ?

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

sproulman

Re: crossbow choice or necessity ?

Post by sproulman »

I had shoulder problems and back for years..BUT I stilled used my fred bear recurve..I could have got a doctors excuse for crossbow like many did that really were not injured..Now at 62 I am just getting LAZY...I do not know why I am so my health is showing up and eating is now my hobby ..lol..Do to my LAZINESS now I use Crossbow..Recurves like Gene said now hang on walls...But I do like my RECURVE Excalibur..I hated looks of other crossbows like Horton I did have for my nephew mostly as he did not want to learn INSTINCTIVE recurve Buck hunting kids want it easy ..So crossbow will HELP a lot on getting buck with me now 30 pds heavier and really lazy bugger I am turning into...I did buy a pair of ASICS KAYANO GEL 21 sneakers and starting Friday I am walking daily and as soon as my GARMIN ALPHA gettings back me and Whiskers are hitting woods for Ruff Grouse training...
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

Here's another possible reason to hunt with a crossbow... Even though I would expect no one to admit to this issue as the reason for choosing to hunt with one.

However, I feel this possibility may indeed be an additional reason for it falling into the "Necessity Column" of the origional post..

Washington State, has just last year, made crossbow hunting legal during rifle season. This includes making it a legal means for X-felon's who can not legally own or hunt with a firearm of any sort, to once again enjoy hunting season and share a campfire with friends.

I assure you thats not the case for me. :D :lol:

I did however, hear a discussion concering this exact issue, while I was at the counter with a represenative of the game Dept. The individual at the next counter was assured that it was considered lawfull. However he was advised he could NOT handle or have in his possession, even while in camp, ( and possibly belonging to others ) any type of firearm.

This incident occured while I was discussing and submitting my disability exemption forms to use an x-bow during archery season late last summer.

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Your right I never gave that a thought .
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

L. E. Carroll wrote:Here's another possible reason to hunt with a crossbow... Even though I would expect no one to admit to this issue as the reason for choosing to hunt with one.

However, I feel this possibility may indeed be an additional reason for it falling into the "Necessity Column" of the origional post..

Washington State, has just last year, made crossbow hunting legal during rifle season. This includes making it a legal means for X-felon's who can not legally own or hunt with a firearm of any sort, to once again enjoy hunting season and share a campfire with friends.

I assure you thats not the case for me. :D :lol:

I did however, hear a discussion concering this exact issue, while I was at the counter with a represenative of the game Dept. The individual at the next counter was assured that it was considered lawfull. However he was advised he could NOT handle or have in his possession, even while in camp, ( and possibly belonging to others ) any type of firearm.

This incident occured while I was discussing and submitting my disability exemption forms to use an x-bow during archery season late last summer.

Gene
Gene when we involved in crossbows for pa we ONLY wanted it for disabled like yourself or over certain age ..We lost that and now you can use Crossbow at any age and not disabled..

yes Felon can use bow or muzzleloader here in pa..Being I am getting lazy and not in shape at 62 crossbow is BIG PLUS for me..With Bucks getting harder to get do to hunting pressure I cannot crawl on my knees anymore trying to get within 20 yards for my recurve now with crossbow its a lot easier....Excaliburs do look like bow THAT makes me feel good too..
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

hunter with MS wrote:Why is it uneasy ? I asked who is using crossbow as their choice or like some out of necessity to keep hunting that is all . If you don't like the question why answer it . I use the crossbow out of necessity . Some states you can only hunt with a crossbow out of necessity mine is one of them .
Because it plays to the crowds that feel "only trad recurves should be allowed for archery", or "only compounds should be allowed for archery", etc. etc. One is not "more of a hunter" because they use a crossbow because they have an injury. This type of conversation implies that those that choose to use one simply because it's a legal form of taking deer are somehow less of a hunter...at least that is how it feels to me. As hunters we need to be more united. There are enough groups trying to drive us apart, we don't need to help them in any way. JMHO
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Hillcountry

Post by Hillcountry »

nchunterkw wrote:
hunter with MS wrote:Why is it uneasy ? I asked who is using crossbow as their choice or like some out of necessity to keep hunting that is all . If you don't like the question why answer it . I use the crossbow out of necessity . Some states you can only hunt with a crossbow out of necessity mine is one of them .
Because it plays to the crowds that feel "only trad recurves should be allowed for archery", or "only compounds should be allowed for archery", etc. etc. One is not "more of a hunter" because they use a crossbow because they have an injury. This type of conversation implies that those that choose to use one simply because it's a legal form of taking deer are somehow less of a hunter...at least that is how it feels to me. As hunters we need to be more united. There are enough groups trying to drive us apart, we don't need to help them in any way. JMHO

Your opinion has merit but I believe the crossbow, either out of necessity or for the just plain fun of using such a deadly weapon, is here to STAY!
Personally, i could give a rats a$$ who doesn't approve. :wink:
Excalibur Micro 355
Mission MXB 360
LongCarbine

Post by LongCarbine »

Hillcountry wrote:Because it plays to the crowds that feel "only trad recurves should be allowed for archery", or "only compounds should be allowed for archery", etc. etc. One is not "more of a hunter" because they use a crossbow because they have an injury. This type of conversation implies that those that choose to use one simply because it's a legal form of taking deer are somehow less of a hunter...at least that is how it feels to me. As hunters we need to be more united. There are enough groups trying to drive us apart, we don't need to help them in any way.
Thank-you that is what I was trying to say. I get a lot of crap because people say I look like I could use a REAL bow.
A few years ago my wife and I were hunting in Wyoming and the guy camping next to us brought his young son over to our camp and told him , see he is a lazy hunter and cheats because he uses a crossbow. That is one of the reasons I'm a little touchy. By the way he later told me he hit one in the lower hind leg and couldn't find it he had it ranged ....82 yards ! And I was the lazy hunter :roll:
Matrix 355
Axiom (Alum.Rail)
Matrix B.D 330
DHRUT

Post by DHRUT »

First time poster here. Mine is mostly because of necessity. I will be 54 soon
and have been a bow hunter since 1974. When I was 31 I was diagnosed with
rheumatoid arthritis which hit my whole body. I struggled with being able to
practice like I felt I had too to feel confident in the woods. So last summer I
made the decision to change to a crossbow. I was 2 for 2 for the season. A
state land 8 point and pretty nice doe. Now I am real glad that I finally made
the switch so I can practice all I want to get ready for every season!
Matrix 380
diablo bolts
150 bolt cutters
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

nchunterkw wrote:

YOU ARE RIGHT..I found out from past no matter what I say or said is only going to be looked at as negative..YES we are diehard traditional BUCK hunters...WE have very different way of looking at things EASY was always terrible way to hunt we had to make it HARD....Like I could have gone to alum xx78 chuck adams arrows and got more bucks ..I remember dad saying LITTLE SPROUL WHY ARE YOU ALWAYS MAKING YOUR BUCK HUNTING HARD? :roll: We used to feel we were Indians we had to make it HARD..I use to dress in leather skins Don't laugh all true..Even had friends laugh when they saw me in that stuff with camo paint on my face and standing there with fire SMOKING my clothes/bow with oak/pineleaves...lol.. Crawling on ground for 100 yards to get close to big buck for shot,
I did feel I was something and did look down on anyone killing doe or using alum arrows or compound bow etc..Ones that did this NEVER WERE ANY GOOD AT DEER HUNTING..There you go again Sproul being negative..So I guess its time to keep my opinions to myself and being a Excalibur crossbow looks like recurve bow I am happy as it brings back some memories of my childhood and way I did things while hunting Buck...... :)
nchunterkw

Post by nchunterkw »

Hillcountry wrote:Your opinion has merit but I believe the crossbow, either out of necessity or for the just plain fun of using such a deadly weapon, is here to STAY!
Personally, i could give a rats a$$ who doesn't approve. :wink:
I'm with you HIllcountry!! I've been using them since 1996. I just like them....enough so that I rarely take a gun into the field anymore...
Keith
Stand by the roads and look, and ask for the ancient paths; where the good way is,
and walk in it and find rest for your souls. - Jer 6:16

Micro 335 & 355
deerboyarchery.wixsite.com/trinitystrings
[email protected]
<{{{><
Buszone

Post by Buszone »

Here is my .02 This is the same crap back in the early 70's when Jennings brought out the compound! Everybody was screaming its was not a bow it would wipe out the deer herds. Well we all know that didn't happen. The reality is the kill does not go up regardless of the weapon of choice because the vast majority of the deer killed each year are by the same people every year. Now the older archers that may have given up the sport at one point are migrating back and the kill is shifting from gun to crossbow. These are experienced hunters who know how to put venison on the table. look at the total buck kills they seem to stay the same just sifting to a different weapon.
When my bride says she wants 4 in the freezer she doesn't tell me what to kill em with :lol: The holier then now attitude comes from vbow shooters that just want the rut to them selves. When their season is over I'm sure they grab
the 30-06 and not a Flintlock. Who cares use want you want and enjoy chasing them :D
335 Micro "THOR" as in "Thorin Oakenshield"
RamCat 125gr. AKA Battle Axe
NChunterKW Flemish String
15.5" Excalibur Dan Zombies
When it Flies something dies !
JUSTANUFF

Post by JUSTANUFF »

It's pretty much been a choice for me,,but since I have entertained two back operations and have hit 62 years old,,,it MIGHT have become more of a nessessity,,, I am still rehabin from my operation December 10th,,so a lot remains to be seen,,I love my Verticals and have participated in a lot of leauges at my local bow shops,,and have gone to a lot of outdoor 3 d shoots which is a blast.Thats what I miss the most,,,indoor leauges and 3 d shoots..but either way,,Its just bein out there sittin in the solitude of the woods waiting in hopeful anticipation of a shooter for me..
Cub *TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Cub-Pow)
308 Short Banshee* TactZone * Trigger Tech (AKA Shorty)
Magnus Buzz Cuts * Mad Hornets
Gold Tip Laser II's 16.5 386grn
BE Executioners 16.5 405grn
Miller Top Quiver Mounts
Boo string
coop

Post by coop »

I've bow hunted since 1979 taken well over 200 big game animals with it, recurve and compound. Honestly just kinda got burnt out on bow hunting. So I just choose to hunt with Xbow right now...its new to me yet familiar.
M405+Swhacker=Awesome
sproulman

Post by sproulman »

coop wrote:I've bow hunted since 1979 taken well over 200 big game animals with it, recurve and compound. Honestly just kinda got burnt out on bow hunting. So I just choose to hunt with Xbow right now...its new to me yet familiar.

Me too ..Never thought this would ever happen but I got sneakers coming so who knows may be shooting recurve again at home I am now with xbow..
hunter with MS

Post by hunter with MS »

Since I have to hunt archery with crossbow since late 90's early 2000 due to ms . Now I find that I really can't shoot a firearm that well anymore I fought with the firearms all last fall . So I am now hunting with crossbow only . at least I still out there /