Brace height on new Matrix 380

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

Roadrunnr72

Brace height on new Matrix 380

Post by Roadrunnr72 »

My M380 had the string touching the bumpers. It took 10 complete twist to get the string to the brace height mark, which set the string about 1/8" off the bumpers. So, if a new Xbow owner does not take the time to come here, to the forum, or read the owners manual and buy a stringing aid, and then adjust the bow, I can see them having problems. If bought from a reputable company, I would like to think that they would set the brace height correctly for a new owner. Of course, with a little string stretch, were back to square one. Personally, I bought mine on the internet because I think I got a pretty good deal. IF others do the same, I would be sure that their brace height is not correct. I have been on and off here, and own another Excal, so I know better. I do believe that if Excalibur were to include the stringing aid with there bows, it would greatly reduce the few problems that we hear about. There are instructions in the manual on setting brace height, most probably don't read it. Mine should be ready to shoot this weekend, unless I get off work a little early tomorrow or Friday.

Thanks RR
Phoenix
Matrix 380

I'm a member of PETA
People
Eating
Tasty
Animals
xcaliber

Re: Brace height on new Matrix 380

Post by xcaliber »

This has been debated for quite some time, and most here agree a stringing aide should come in the package. I'm probably one in a few hundred that say this, but I research stuff that I use for hunting, and shooting to the point that the manual has little use by the time I buy the item. That said, there videos here to demonstrate safe use, and maintenance for at least the minimum required steps in getting your crossbow ready, and keeping it there.
Glad you got it figured out before any mishaps! :wink:
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!
L. E. Carroll

Post by L. E. Carroll »

I initially set a new flemish twist D97 string on my 380 1/2" off of the bumpers.... about 20 shots and and 24 hours later the distance had come down to 1/4", which is where I like to have it. Possibly after more shooting I may have to add a twist or 2 , but that 3/8 -1/4" gap is what I try to maintain on all of my Excal's.
If it gets down to an 1/8" gap, it gets adjusted after shooting back to 1/4".

Gene
Camo Micro 355 w/ XB30 SR Pro & TT trigger
Camo Matrix 380 W/ XB 30SR Pro & a Boo trigger
Very Nice 98 Jeep Tj
Sweet old 73 Bronco ( 2nd Owner)
Scamp tralier
gwhuntr

Post by gwhuntr »

Other than tearing up the bumpers quicker what harm is it to have your string barely touching the S5s or Reds?
GregO
>>>------->

Ibex
Ten Point Pro Elite Arrows
125 gr Magnus Stingers
Lumenoks
xcaliber

Post by xcaliber »

No real harm, but you really should have a gap. I'm with gene on about 1/4" I hunt all day sometimes, and string a few days in a row when the end of October rolls around. I have done some tests on the range out to 40 yards at varying brace heights, and shot through the chronograph changing brace heights as well. The reason was to see if at 1/4" to almost nothing, where would my shot wind up? Well, not more than 1/2" or 2 FPS from high to low. My motivation was string stretch, or creep, whatever you want to call it, but during the hunting season, you don't really fiddle too much between days hunting. I know i don't have to sweat it, and set mine a bit high.
It’s not the way you rock, it’s the way that you roll!