How Much Speed Is Really Needed

Crossbow Hunting

Moderator: Excalibur Marketing Dude

timbikeride

Re: How Much Speed Is Really Needed

Post by timbikeride »

For me faster is better, but with faster you often get more noise and more wear to the equipment. My Matrix 355 is fast enough for me.....at least for the time being :)
bob watkins

Post by bob watkins »

right now i think the 380 is the best bow they have it will shoot in the 350's which i consider middle of the road the( sweet spot) jmo
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

Bow speed is a personal choice. We all like what we like.

When you do the calculations of arrow speed and KE between 300 to 400fps there really is a very narrow margin out to 40 yards.

Now take those calculations out to 40 to 80 yards then of course the faster bows are on top.

However for most hunting out to 40 yards any model will do the job.

With that said speed sells and who doesn't like a fast bow.. :)
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
amythntr

Post by amythntr »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Bow speed is a personal choice. We all like what we like.

When you do the calculations of arrow speed and KE between 300 to 400fps there really is a very narrow margin out to 40 yards.

Now take those calculations out to 40 to 80 yards then of course the faster bows are on top.

....but many people are "paying a premium" for advertised speed and not getting it with average setup...IMHO, the speed that is ADVERTISED should be the speed that the bow shoots out of the box with the supplied arrows, field points and string PERIOD....at least people will know what they are spending their hard earned dollars on...anything extra would be a gift and word of mouth would get out quickly which would add to the selling....

....again "under promise and over provide"...this makes for the best marketing tool...again IMHO!

Anthony

PS: Me and my Jelly Belly and "....Bada Bing 8) " happy together!
In a tough situation and wonder where God is; ...the Teacher is always quiet during the test.

Anthony :D

A360 (l'Assassino)
AXE 340
Scorpyd DS (w/AeroCrank AD)
GRZ2
G1-NM335(On loan)
ZS,Ex
Spits
Vixenmaster Strings
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

bellerivercrossbowhunter wrote:Bow speed is a personal choice. We all like what we like.

I agree with being meaningless at 20 or 30 fps, , That's not going to make 2 or 3 yards difference in any setup out to 40 or so yards, but when you start getting 40 or 50 fps difference you will be getting obviously more forgiving!! The point here is the 400 and the 405 or the 380 are not enough difference to make all that much difference, they will all be capable of 35 yard zero shout out to 42 to 45 yards with one aiming point. The 20 fps or so difference depending on different limbs and strings with the same arrows out of any of these bows are going to give close performance,,, but if you want to think the 355 and the 400 or 405 are close enough to setup the same, your just kidding yourself,, I know I have tried it, with more than one!! 20 or 30 fps difference is not all that much,,, but thinking 100fps is in the same ballpark is delusional!!

I would disagree with trying to class 300 fps as being very little difference between 400 fps at 40 yards when compared to 400,,,, there is actually quite a bit of difference, 300 to 350 fps is very noticeable at 40 yards. with the 310 fps from my 335 Micro with a 411 grain arrow I needed 3 aiming points for 40 yards shooting, I tried a 30 yard zero and that left me like 3.25" @ 300 fps that would have been 3.5"+ high at 20,, and 3.25 low at 35 yards going to 20 30 and 40 yard aiming points with a 25 yard zero was what is more practical. with no more than 3.5" low out to 31 yards.

But if I try the same zero shoot dead on out to 35 yards with one aiming point at 352 fps,, with my 380 and 440 grain arrows and with a 30 yard zero I am never more than 2.25" high or 2.3" low out to 35 yards and still less than 3.5" low at 37 yards. So for me those are pretty significant gains out to 40 using 2 aimin points all the way to 45 yards actually it takes three aiming point to get to 43 yards with the 310 grain 335 Micro

But if that isn't substantial the 375 fps I was getting with 430 grain arrows in the 405 meant I could take my aim dead on clear to 40 yards with one aiming point. With the 405 zero'd at 35 yards I am never over or under 2.75" to 40 yards and 3.25" low out to 42 yards with one zero, now we could use a simple 1.5 oz red dot as matter of fact I did do this with my 405, and the Burris Fastfire II, 35 yard zero, and be in point blank range to 42 yards. That is not even possible with the 310 grain arrow in the 335 Micro, and we are only talking 65 fps difference a far cry from 100 fps difference.

If I didn't already have a 380,, 2 as a matter of fact since I personally believe they are the best hunting bows in the Matrix lineup,, I would jump on the Bullpup design I think. I sold both 405's I had because I just didn't see enough gain over the 380, which in my opinion is smaller and better shooting offhand to keep. I have not shot the Bulldog, but would have to think shorter and narrower no matter how much has to mean better balance for offhand hunting shots, which are not uncommon with me, and the way I shoot all off season unless I am testing equipment. I think that is where any difference in the 400 over the 380 or the 405 will have its most obvious impact. I really don't see but 4 or 5 yards difference between the 405 the 400 or the 380,,, but handling and shooting I'll almost bet offhand the manners of the Bulldog will make a big difference! But I always think folks put to much emphasis on speed with the bows we have today!
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
Meat Hunter

Post by Meat Hunter »

Fred Bear was shooting elephants in Africa and we did not have a man on the moon before "any" bow (vertical or horizontal) could shoot faster that 200 fps.

I do not know if this record still holds, but in 2006, the record Canadian Moose was harvested with a Vixen, Danny Miller once told me.

I will stick with my little brown stocked Vixen. I have yet to loose a deer and it has never let me down.
Carnivorous

Post by Carnivorous »

The speed debate will always be around and hey we are all unique so that's a good thing.

My priorities are.

Accuracy and my shot placement (especially when shooting a bear)

Large wound channels and pass through shots with a crazy blood trail.

The ability to have the above out to 30 yards because it is my ideal hunting distance.

All I really need is the Micro 335 but it's nice to have the 315 and 355 just because.. lol
A touch of frost has heightened your awareness and your heart steadily beats in anticipation. Your senses are suddenly alert to the movement on the forest floor and you realize that the moment of truth is at hand.
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

At some point sheer crossbow speed will not make up for a poorly set up location. At some point you either need to find a way to get closer, which is half the fun, or wait until you can use a gun.
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
wildcatter

Post by wildcatter »

It just upsets me that I can't use my throwing knives and Native speer,,,, :x
Hunt Hard or Stay Home!
380 Mad Max, XB-30 Pro 18" ZombiesW/ 125 gr ST
330 Mad Max Custom XB-30 Pro 16" B.E.E. W/100 gr ST
Leica R-1000 - Zeiss 8X42 Conquest HD
On the Hunt for the next!!
GRUNDY

Post by GRUNDY »

That would be cool. Tim Wells has a clip in which he kills a buck with a spear. I forget what state it was in.

B
Micro335
Stock string
Stock quills
Stock 150gr Boltcutters
tomcat

Post by tomcat »

Speed sells, but accuracy is what kills.

Speed minimizes range estimation errors and maximizes probability for pass throughs on larger cut broadheads.

With the right BH selection and good range estimation the advantage the advantage usually goes to the slower bow's inherent accuracy & noise advantage.
Just my .02
Matrix 405/Vixen stock -XB 30
Matrix 380/Vixen stock - XB 30
Offspring-XB1
Maxpoint- XB1